Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 02:08 PM

13,648 posts, read 20,775,774 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
Not restricting the right to vote, but restricting the right of where someone is currently legally entitled to vote, for no other reason other than not liking their ideology or how they vote.
I will say the official could have been a bit more fair minded in his statement. I agree with his goal, but not with that particular line of reasoning.

The thing is, it will affect relatively few students. The University of New Hampshire is the state institution and I assume the biggest school. I would also assume most of the student body is from New Hampshire.

Schools with large non NH students would be places like Dartmouth, Franklin Pierce, etc. You are not talking about a loads of people.

I would remind you and this GOP official that New Hampshire is generally a moderate Republican-Libertarian leaning state and nothing has swayed that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2011, 02:18 PM

22,187 posts, read 19,459,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
I will say the official could have been a bit more fair minded in his statement. I agree with his goal, but not with that particular line of reasoning.

The thing is, it will affect relatively few students. The University of New Hampshire is the state institution and I assume the biggest school. I would also assume most of the student body is from New Hampshire.

Schools with large non NH students would be places like Dartmouth, Franklin Pierce, etc. You are not talking about a loads of people.

I would remind you and this GOP official that New Hampshire is generally a moderate Republican-Libertarian leaning state and nothing has swayed that.

University of N.H is 61% in state 38% out of state. This also would impact those are from N.H and live on campus (or even an off campus apartment) as they would not be able to vote at where they attend school and live most the year. So quite a few would be impacted.

The goal of what the sponsor of the bill is quite clear. He doesn't like the way college students vote, he doesn't like their ideology, so he wants to restrict the ability to vote on campus.

Old 03-08-2011, 02:26 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,874,717 times
Quote:
Students are not treated differently. You are making things up again. Anyone who is 18 and over may vote.

Cease the dishonesty. You know better.
If you are going to insist that students meet residency requirements that are different from other voting adults, then you are treating students differently.

Old 03-08-2011, 02:26 PM

Quote:
University of N.H is 61% in state 38% out of state. This also would impact those are from N.H and live on campus (or even an off campus apartment) as they would not be able to vote at where they attend school and live most the year. So quite a few would be impacted.

The goal of what the sponsor of the bill is quite clear. He doesn't like the way college students vote, he doesn't like their ideology, so he wants to restrict the ability to vote on campus.
New Hampshire residents will vote with little effort- it is a little state after all.

The others are free to vote in their home districts.

Personally, I do not want out of state voters of any ideology voting in my elections. Nor would I want to vote in theirs. Each State is endowed with defined borders. They should be respected.

Pass the bill and send that fella to charm school.

Old 03-08-2011, 02:29 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,874,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
What are you talking about?
Nowhere did I say that renters without cars don't get to vote, I simply stated that renting an apt somewhere doesn't qualify as paying property taxes to the locality.

And if you voted, without being a RESIDENT of the district you were voting in, then you may have broken the law.

Now, if you actually graduated college, and are able to comprehend what was plainly written, I was responding to a post from you stating you paid taxes by driving through tolls, buying things and paying sales taxes, and by renting an apt. That's not the same as residency.

You vote, where you are a resident. If you declared residency where you went to college, then that's where you are a resident.
Renting an apartment is not residency?

There are lots of different taxes that benefit a community. Just because you don't pay property taxes directly doesn't mean that you are not benefiting the community by your presence. And if you live in the community, you should be able to vote in the community.

Old 03-08-2011, 02:34 PM

Quote:
New Hampshire residents will vote with little effort- it is a little state after all.

The others are free to vote in their home districts.

Personally, I do not want out of state voters of any ideology voting in my elections. Nor would I want to vote in theirs. Each State is endowed with defined borders. They should be respected.

Pass the bill and send that fella to charm school.
They aren't out of state voters, they are attending school in the state, are in the state most of the year, they are in state voters.

This is about the sponsor being a conservative Republican, and not liking the fact that college students are largely Democratic and liberal, so he wants to limit the ability of them to vote on campus because their ideology and how they vote is different from his.

Old 03-08-2011, 02:42 PM

Quote:
They aren't out of state voters, they are attending school in the state, are in the state most of the year, they are in state voters.

This is about the sponsor being a conservative Republican, and not liking the fact that college students are largely Democratic and liberal, so he wants to limit the ability of them to vote on campus because their ideology and how they vote is different from his.
Apparently most States disagree with you. Take it up with them.

Old 03-08-2011, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Apparently most States disagree with you. Take it up with them.
College students can vote on campus in most states.

Old 03-08-2011, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
If you are going to insist that students meet residency requirements that are different from other voting adults, then you are treating students differently.
Not in voting I am not. Any one 18 or over may vote in their home district. And vote they should.

It really is an almost infantile concept.

Its cool. There are a few things out there that most find simple yet I find mindblowing.

Old 03-08-2011, 02:52 PM

Quote:
College students can vote on campus in most states.
I am going to need to see a great deal of evidence for that. I find it rather suspicious that you are just claiming that now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies