U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is the USA a Christian Nation?
Yes 32 26.45%
No 89 73.55%
Voters: 121. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 02:49 PM

6,013 posts, read 6,750,216 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya View Post
Nice.
It always amazes me that people forget that Obama claims he is a Bible-believing Christian.

So I guess according to your thought process that Obama is an idiot bible-thumper.

It doesn't show much discerment or intelligence to label people you disagree with idiots. It just shows intolerance and igorance.
what does this have to do with anything?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2011, 06:24 PM

2,617 posts, read 1,998,991 times
Ok, this is an opinion poll. But for those who voted yes please cite the number of times the Supreme Court, whose job it is to interpret the Constitution, has voted in your favor.

Old 03-08-2011, 07:18 PM

22,583 posts, read 11,835,717 times
Default Not Christian, not 'Judeo-Christian' ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
read up on the history of the USA. the USA was founded as a judeo/christian nation.
Wrong. I see no reference to Christianity or Judaism in the Constitution. Yes, I have read up on the history of the USA, I am on the Board of Governors of a Historical Society, and I live within the shadow of Independence Hall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMe View Post
It's actually a Judaeo-Christian nation. The founding of this nation is inexplicable apart from the Judaeo-Christian worldview that underpins it. If this country had been colonized by Hindus or Muslims or Buddhists or any other religous group there would not be a USA. Pure and simple.
What does that mean: "world view"??? The Framers of the Constitution came from the "world view" of impressing Africans into slavery, treating women as chattel of their husbands and fathers, the "divine right" of kings, persecuting people of other religions, etc.

Since the word "Judeo" is being used a lot, I would like to know which of the Founding Fathers, signers of the Declaration of Independence or the Constitution, were Jewish??? This is not a criticism of the Jewish community - Philadelphia is home of the superb new National Museum Of American Jewish History practically across the street from Independence Hall - but it sounds to me some folks just want to sound more inclusive and are conceding this is NOT a "Christian" nation but a "Judeo-Christian" nation ... which it is not.

Old 03-08-2011, 10:48 PM

2,350 posts, read 2,357,871 times
Quote:
read up on the history of the USA. the USA was founded as a judeo/christian nation.
That's just about the worst non answer in the history of nut-jobbery.

Which tells me you're just vomiting Glenn Beck at us.

Old 03-08-2011, 10:53 PM

44,924 posts, read 27,199,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMcQ LV View Post
Nope. For this country to be considered a "Christian nation" then Christianity would have to be declared the "official religion". And the 1st amendment makes that impossible.
But Christians do out number any or all others combined. That is why I voted yes in the poll. There are still more of us so I say that makes the nation a Christian one.

Old 03-08-2011, 10:54 PM

18,173 posts, read 13,350,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
Is the USA a Christian Nation?
Are you serious?

Jesus murdered heads-of-state in cold blood, stole the resources and wealth of nations and oppressed the people?

Maybe you're referring to the Sermon on the Oil Rig:

Conoco-Phillips 17:1 Blessed is he who installs puppet dictators to control oil, for he shall drive SUVs.

Old 03-08-2011, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Grass Fever View Post
No, i think it's more set up to be of a hybird of collective tribes, modeled after the indian (Natives Americans) tribes that roamed the land when the founders set up "law" for the land.

I think the founders modeled it after these tribes -- Cayuga people - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Or maybe this group -- Seneca people - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I know it was in upstate New York at least....
I thought the Framers did their work in Philadelphia, PA.

Old 03-08-2011, 11:00 PM

3,456 posts, read 5,611,701 times
No, the US is not a Christian nation. Jesus despised greed and would probably react to our love affair with capitalism the way he did when the temple had been turned into a market (John 2:13-25). Now, are there many wonderful Christians in America, yes! But does our government reflect the love of Christ in the policy it embraces? Does our society demand that our leaders pay it forward? Of course not, many are happy to see their wealthy boss get a tax break while eliminating your benefits and lowering your wage. Worry however, I do not. For it is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter the Kingdom. Sadly it seems that religion is only important to Washington when shopping for votes under the "Conservative Values" guise.

Last edited by OrlFlaUsa; 03-08-2011 at 11:03 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 03-08-2011, 11:05 PM

Quote:
I think that today your statement could be wrong especially if you look in a soundly progressive history book. They have done some very good twisting of words to change things.

Old 03-08-2011, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Why are you all getting worked up over this ?
There is separation of Church and State.
What does it matter the religious background of those that founded this nation as they made sure religion would not govern politics ?
I will say that most of those who are making most of the noise here are progressives that try so very hard to make the nation out to be atheist as most of them seem to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies