Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 03:14 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,300,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maja View Post
And that is the way out of our unemployment crisis???

Jesse Jackson Jr. Says Way Out of the Unemployment Crisis Is to Change the Constitution So Every Ghetto Kid Gets an iPod and a Laptop | The Blaze

Watch this short video clip and tell me what you hear this guy taking up government time calling for. I really can't believe my ears.
At this point I have to wonder why anybody of any level of intelligence really gives a damn what Jesse Jackson says.

I can't think of a person more politically or socially irrelevant in modern American social discourse.

Just because a person has access to the media does NOT make them newsworthy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2011, 03:14 PM

9,189 posts, read 7,599,094 times
The video ends at 1:27 so I didn't hear when he said "he". Is there another video around?

Old 03-07-2011, 03:44 PM

3,681 posts, read 6,274,075 times
His whole speech sounds incredibly outrageous to me and is so tangential, that's why I asked for feedback from others! To me, it still sounds like he is in a roundabout way suggesting IPODS should be a "basic right." Toward the beginning, he says these things should be in the Constitution and goes on to list housing, healthcare and "decent education" and then goes on connecting that needed "right" to the jobs that would be created by the building of many schools which would provide every student with a laptop and an IPod. So the interpretation is that government should provide these "basic rights" which include "decent education," which would include an IPod.

And apparently he is relating his proposal to FDR's, who is probably rolling over in his grave right now (and wondering wth is an IPod!)

Old 03-07-2011, 03:46 PM

20,892 posts, read 16,075,809 times
Quote:
To me, it still sounds like he is in a roundabout way suggesting IPODS should be a "basic right."
That very weird interpretation is entirely a reflection on you.

Old 03-07-2011, 04:00 PM

3,767 posts, read 4,529,611 times
Quote:
His whole speech sounds incredibly outrageous to me and is so tangential, that's why I asked for feedback from others! To me, it still sounds like he is in a roundabout way suggesting IPODS should be a "basic right." Toward the beginning, he says these things should be in the Constitution and goes on to list housing, healthcare and "decent education" and then goes on connecting that needed "right" to the jobs that would be created by the building of many schools which would provide every student with a laptop and an IPod. So the interpretation is that government should provide these "basic rights" which include "decent education," which would include an IPod.
And apparently he is relating his proposal to FDR's, who is probably rolling over in his grave right now (and wondering wth is an IPod!)
But seriously does anyone take this man seriously lol!
I think everyone pretty much gets him.

I'm amazed everyone is a patient with him as they are. Doesn't speak very well of the constituents who elected him.

Old 03-07-2011, 04:03 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,442,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya View Post
Jesse Jackson Jr says that we need to add to the constitution the right for every family to have a decent home, and free ipods and laptops.

Truly is he demented already? Nothing is free. Someone is going to pay for it. Again. The tax payers.

Just like some people ha! expecting something for not a thing! AND just who is going to pay for these ipods and laptops, Jesse himself, i truly doubt it.

Old 03-07-2011, 04:04 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,206,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya View Post
But seriously does anyone take this man seriously lol!
I think everyone pretty much gets him.

I'm amazed everyone is a patient with him as they are. Doesn't speak very well of the constituents who elected him.
I wonder the same thing about those who elected Rep. Hank Johnson who is worried that Guam may "tip over".

Old 03-07-2011, 04:10 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,931,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
Actually, no. He said the following (in context):

House Session - C-SPAN Video Library

SO WHAT DOES ROOSEVELT DO?
THE ONLY PRESIDENT WHO'S EVER HAD TO CONFRONT UNEMPLOYMENT AT THE LEVEL THAT WE ARE CONFRONTING IT RIGHT NOW, YOU KNOW WHAT HE DOES, MR. SPEAKER?
HE TURNS TO THE CONSTITUTION OF THE UNITED STATES ANSWERED SAYS, THESE ARE THE THINGS WE NEED TO ADD.
IF THE FIRST AMENDMENT CAN GUARANTEE US 51% OF ALL JOBS AND FROM IT CAN COME IPODS AND LAPTOPS AND THE INTERNET AND UNPRECEDENTED GROWTH, WE NEED TO ADD TO THE CONSTITUTION THE RIGHT TO A FAMILY TO HAVE A DECENT HOME.
WHAT WOULD THAT DO FOR HOME CONSTRUCTION IN THIS NATION?
WHAT WOULD THAT DO FOR MILLIONS OF UNEMPLOYED PEOPLE?
HE SAYS, WE NEED TO ADD TO THE CONSTITUTION THE RIGHT TO MEDICAL CARE.
HOW MANY DOCTORS WOULD SUCH A RIGHT CREATE?
HE SAYS, WE NEED TO ADD TO THE CONSTITUTION OF THE UNITED STATES THE RIGHT TO A DECENT EDUCATION FOR EVERY AMERICAN.
HOW MANY SCHOOLS WOULD SUCH A RIGHT BUILD FROM MAIN TO CALIFORNIA?
-- MAINE TO CALIFORNIA?
HOW MANY PEOPLE WOULD BE PUT TO WORK BUILDING ROOFS AND DESIGNING CLASSROOMS AND PROVIDING EVERY STUDENT WITH AN IPOD AND A LAPTOP?
HOW MANY GHETTOS WILL ACTUALLY BE TOUCHED BY SUCH AN AMENDMENT?

I'm no fan of the Jacksons, but at least get the quote right. CSPAN has transcripts, you can actually read what the man said, verbatim.
Even verbatim he comes off as mentally insane. A constitutional right to a decent house? Hey Jesse, next time remember to take your pills before opening your bs-spewing flaps.

Old 03-07-2011, 04:23 PM

3,767 posts, read 4,529,611 times
Jesse says:
IF THE FIRST AMENDMENT CAN GUARANTEE US 51% OF ALL JOBS AND FROM IT CAN COME IPODS AND LAPTOPS AND THE INTERNET AND UNPRECEDENTED GROWTH, WE NEED TO ADD TO THE CONSTITUTION THE RIGHT TO A FAMILY TO HAVE A DECENT HOME. IF THE FIRST AMENDMENT CAN GUARANTEE US 51% OF ALL JOBS AND FROM IT CAN COME IPODS AND LAPTOPS AND THE INTERNET AND UNPRECEDENTED GROWTH, WE NEED TO ADD TO THE CONSTITUTION THE RIGHT TO A FAMILY TO HAVE A DECENT HOME.

His ramblings are somewhat hard to follow but he does state that we should add to the constitution the right to a family to have a decent home.

This in itself is one of the stupidestand most ignorant comments I have heard in a long time. How does he plan to guarantee this?

Old 03-07-2011, 06:44 PM

7,993 posts, read 12,860,796 times
Quote:
And that is the way out of our unemployment crisis???

Jesse Jackson Jr. Says Way Out of the Unemployment Crisis Is to Change the Constitution So Every Ghetto Kid Gets an iPod and a Laptop | The Blaze

Watch this short video clip and tell me what you hear this guy taking up government time calling for. I really can't believe my ears.
This has got to be a joke, right? Anything Jesticulation Jackson says is typically a joke.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies