Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 01:53 PM

3,767 posts, read 4,529,197 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
I'm wondering if any of you--Left or Right--listened carefully enough to realize that there was a break in the continuity of the video at 1:27, at which point JJJ starts saying, "He says......". I take that to mean he is quoting someone. Apparently, JJJ is embracing what someone else said and we have no idea who he is quoting. JJJ is still an idiot but so is whoever he is quoting and I'm just curious enough to want to know who the other idiot is.
I did hear that and replayed it several times to try and determine who the "he" was. It was very odd.
I even quoted his "he said" in one of my posts.
I could not figure out if he was trying to play fast and loose with words, or not be held accountable for his speech, or use some kind of strange delivery method for effect.
Whatever the purpose or intent was he failed miserably.

But in the beginning he stated "We need to add to the constitution the right to a family to have a decent home. . "
Only after this sentence does he start his "he said."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2011, 02:02 PM

19,784 posts, read 15,108,168 times
Quote:
Where did you find the transcript?

cspan.

Old 03-07-2011, 02:03 PM

19,784 posts, read 15,108,168 times
Quote:
I'm wondering if any of you--Left or Right--listened carefully enough to realize that there was a break in the continuity of the video at 1:27, at which point JJJ starts saying, "He says......". I take that to mean he is quoting someone. Apparently, JJJ is embracing what someone else said and we have no idea who he is quoting. JJJ is still an idiot but so is whoever he is quoting and I'm just curious enough to want to know who the other idiot is.

The "he" Jackson was referring to was FDR.

Old 03-07-2011, 02:29 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,206,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
The "he" Jackson was referring to was FDR.

Wow!! FDR said that??

I've never heard that before!!

Old 03-07-2011, 02:35 PM

146 posts, read 225,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya View Post
Gator, that is nice that you didn't hear anything that you disagreed with. So there is one of you out there.

But I find it very interesting that you stated that, "unlike most folks here I listened to the entire thing."

I find this surprising that you state that you know that "most folks here" (CD I assume) did not listen to the entire video.

How on earth would you know this? YOu make this statement as a fact.

It puts a big question mark on your entire post when you make such a statement because it speaks to your integrity.

It makes people view your postings with suspicion because we all know that you have no idea if 1% or 99% listened to the entire video (i can confirm I did), or even better read the transcript!
I'm giving folks the benefit of the doubt. Because, you see, if one did in fact listen to that entire clip - with the entire C-SPAN transcript readily available - and still maintain that Rep. Jackson spouted the idea of amending the Constitution to guarantee a "free iPod to every student", you are in fact one of 4 things:

1. Stupid
2. Not proficient in verbal and/or written English
3. Purposefully attempting to distort facts to make a partisan point
4. Some combination of the above three

I prefer to assume the best of my fellow citizens, so therefore I am postulating that the folks here making the aforementioned suggestion did, in fact, not watch the entire video. Unfortunately, I am likely wrong regarding some of them...

All sarcasm aside, enough is enough of this nihilistic "facts mean nothing" nonsense in American political culture. If you vote for a bill that increases the deficit, you've voted for a bill that increases the deficit. Obama was born in Honolulu, Hawaii and that's that. The simple fact that a succesive utterance of noises happen to form words, does not imbue those words with any degree of worth or veracity. Enough is enough. If we continue to allow our political discourse in this country to degrade to the point where lies, nonsense, and distortion are given equivalent merit to facts, historical truth, and well-researched conclusion, some arcane speech on the House floor by JJJ will be the least of our concerns!

Old 03-07-2011, 02:41 PM

3,767 posts, read 4,529,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLGator487 View Post
I'm giving folks the benefit of the doubt. Because, you see, if one did in fact listen to that entire clip - with the entire C-SPAN transcript readily available - and still maintain that Rep. Jackson spouted the idea of amending the Constitution to guarantee a "free iPod to every student", you are in fact one of 4 things:

1. Stupid

I prefer to assume the best of my fellow citizens, so therefore I am postulating that the folks here making the aforementioned suggestion did, in fact, not watch the entire video. Unfortunately, I am likely wrong regarding some of them...

All sarcasm aside, enough is enough of this nihilistic "facts mean nothing" nonsense in American political culture. If you vote for a bill that raises the deficit, you've voted for a bill that raises the deficit. Obama was born in Honolulu, Hawaii and that's that. The simple fact that a succesive utterance of noises happen to form words, does not embue those words with any degree of truth. Enough is enough. If we continue to allow our political discourse in this country to degrade to the point where lies, nonsense, and distortion are given equivalent merit to facts, historical truth, and well-researched conclusion, some arcane speech on the House floor by JJJ will be the least of our concerns!
wow. quite a rant.
And I have no idea why your, "Obama was born in Honolulu, Hawaii and that's that?" statement has relevance! lol.

And I am not stating my opinion one way or the other, but just as you have stated that, " the simple fact that a successive utterance of noises happen to form words does not embue those words with any degree of truth. . " I say yes indeed. Because you state this does not make it a fact. But I find it an odd proclamation after such a statement.

But I must add your way with word does kind of remind me of the Jackson father and sons verbal gymnstics.

Old 03-07-2011, 02:55 PM

5,821 posts, read 5,302,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLGator487 View Post

1. Stupid

All sarcasm aside, enough is enough of this nihilistic "facts mean nothing" nonsense in American political culture. If you vote for a bill that increases the deficit, you've voted for a bill that increases the deficit. Obama was born in Honolulu, Hawaii and that's that. The simple fact that a succesive utterance of noises happen to form words, does not imbue those words with any degree of worth or veracity. Enough is enough. If we continue to allow our political discourse in this country to degrade to the point where lies, nonsense, and distortion are given equivalent merit to facts, historical truth, and well-researched conclusion, some arcane speech on the House floor by JJJ will be the least of our concerns!
After reading all this, one word comes to mind, 'Pontification'.

I have one request. Can you drop the 'Gator' from your 'name'. Thank you.

Old 03-07-2011, 02:59 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,206,409 times
I give up. I've looked on CSPAN, used the search function for "transcripts", "Jesse Jackson Jr." etc. and did not locate the transcript so I don't know what JJJ said in its entirety.

Apparently, he was referring to FDR's "Second Bill of Rights" speech, in which he did mention those things JJJ also mentioned but the first part of FDR's speech contained this:

"The right to a useful and remunerative job in the industries or shops or farms or mines of the nation;
The right to earn enough to provide adequate food and clothing and recreation;
The right of every farmer to raise and sell his products at a return which will give him and his family a decent living;
The right of every businessman, large and small, to trade in an atmosphere of freedom from unfair competition and domination by monopolies at home or abroad;"

after which he also spoke of what we heard JJJ refer to i.e. decent housing, a good education, adequate medical care.

Did JJJ include that first part in his speech on the floor of the House? I don't know but I do suggest he took FDR's "Second Bill of Rights" speech further than FDR himself would have taken it, were he still alive today.

Old 03-07-2011, 03:06 PM

20,892 posts, read 16,074,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maja View Post
Does Jesse Jackson Jr. Actually Think Ghetto Kids Should Have the Constitutional"Right" to IPODS???
Based on that video... no. He doesn't.

Old 03-07-2011, 03:10 PM

20,892 posts, read 16,074,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya View Post
Jesse Jackson Jr says that we need to add to the constitution the right for every family to have a decent home, and free ipods and laptops.
A decent home... yes he said that.

He said nothing about free i-pods and laptops.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies