U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 09:52 PM

69,372 posts, read 53,796,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I'll bet you're wrong.
Prove me wrong.. Find me ONE of your postings complaining about Obamas deficits. JUST ONE.. If you can, I'll admit you are correct..
Quote:
And now all too often peeps of feigned outrage by the NeoConfused over things they never peeped about until Obama took office.
bull crap.. people were objecting to deficits well before Obama took office.. But you'd rather sit here and pretend people were happy with the trillion dollar deficits under Bush becaues it makes you feel better.

I'll be waiting for ONE link of you complaining about deficits under obama

p.s. deficits dont matter, provided you have income to substantiate the new debt being created. I know.. many dont understand this but thats not my fault..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2011, 09:54 PM

Quote:
BTW: Saying Cheney said "Deficits don't matter" IS NOT a quip, it's a fact!
Yes, its a fact that he said it, and what he said was true, as long as the economy is growing to support the new deficits being created.. They very much do matter when its not.

For example.. A business might spend $100M on an office building creating a $100M deficit for year 1. According to you thats very very bad.. (well unless Obama bought the building, then you would defend it till you die).. Anyways, if that building is generating $20M a year in income, and can support the new deficit that was created.. then the deficit doesnt matter.. Are you telling me Obama is growing the income to support the debt being created?

Old 03-07-2011, 10:01 PM

24,800 posts, read 26,937,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
A couple years ago on this very forum, I called for a Manhattan project to increase fuel economy of domestically produced vehicles, but the main obstacle with this approach to solving our oil dependency is it requires leadership on the level of a JFK or Reagan. The reason I would like to see massive research into the area of automotive efficiency isn't as much to solve the problem of dependency as it is to give us a giant club with which to beat OPEC over the head. The Strategic Defense Initiative (star wars) presented a problem to the Soviet Union for which they had no answer. They were forced to negotiate from a position of weakness. So why should we take whatever OPEC offers when we could just as easily cut them off completely?

To be sure, the day we announce we are ending our dependency of foreign oil through an all of the above approach and with all the determination America can muster, terrified oil sheiks will flood the market with oil so as to make our plans seem a solution is search of a problem. At this point our oil suppliers will be our personal b*tches in the same way Khrushchev was after the Cuban Missile Crisis or Gorbachev was after Reykjavík. Of course, we'll never have this sort of advantage over our present keepers as long as presidential campaigns accept foreign donations from fake donors with made up names and addresses and which are processed with untraceable prepaid debit cards. Like I said, this will take leadership we don't presently have.
I agree. Americans don't want leaders. They want to be told everything they do is ok and the problems we have are someone else's fault.

I don't think the underlying problem is the politicans. It's that the generation who lived through the Depression and World War 2 are dead. Some of them were still alive when Reagan was presdient. That generation knew what real sacrifice was. Now that the Baby Boom generation is in power, there's not much hope because they (collectively speaking) wouldn't know sacrifice if their lives depended on it. BTW, I'm not saying the younger generations are any better than the Boomers...just that the Boomers really embraced the whole entitlement attitude thing and it's going to end with a crash like we've never seen before.

Old 03-07-2011, 10:06 PM

48,519 posts, read 81,313,679 times
I think just like the depressio after the crazy 20's that people will son come to a new reality. It happens every few generations really.Boomers i fact have passed the tourch yearsago and now those ithere 40's wahteve they are called make the decisions without their parents who were the boomers.You have to learn lessons one way or the other and many are going fine ;others not so well.That is likely oe reason for a growig income gap between thsoe at the top and those at the bottom.

Old 03-07-2011, 10:24 PM

Still waiting for that link burdell..

Old 03-07-2011, 10:33 PM

41,314 posts, read 38,585,627 times
Quote:
I remember when Cheney said "Deficits don't matter" and we didn't hear a peep from the NeoConfused opposing that view
Well now, what did we hear from the Left when the deficit was $161 BILLION? As I recall, a bunch of howling, wailing and gnashing of teeth.

But now, when obama is spending 10 times that, what do they have to say?

See how that works?

Old 03-07-2011, 11:24 PM

24,800 posts, read 26,937,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Well now, what did we hear from the Left when the deficit was $161 BILLION? As I recall, a bunch of howling, wailing and gnashing of teeth.

But now, when obama is spending 10 times that, what do they have to say?

See how that works?

This is definitely true. However, Bush presided over an economy inflated by a housing bubble. The deficit was going to skyrocket regardless of who got elected. There's no question, in my mind, that Obama made thngs worse. And liberals and conservatives alike over the last 30 years were responsible for presiding over the conditions that created the mortgage and consumer debt bubbles that preceded the 2008 bust.

Your posts are the classic example of what I'm talking about. You only tell the side of the story that's flattering for you. Now, I'd say you're about 60% right, but you're just like the Obama apologists who only tell the flattering half of the story.

We need to do better than get it 60% right. It needs to be more like 95% or we are screwed.

Old 03-07-2011, 11:41 PM

44,924 posts, read 27,159,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Thanks for extending those Bush era tax cuts.....
I guess you don't know that that one month deficit was more than the whole year for 2007. I have to wonder how that could be even with the Bush tax cuts that were in existence in 2007. Maybe the Obamas really are spending it way faster than the Bushs did.

Old 03-07-2011, 11:43 PM

44,924 posts, read 27,159,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emcee squared View Post
Stop putting one and one together. We aren't supposed to think about the reasons behind the last decade of debt.
You should really think about all that but it is obvious that you don't at all.

Old 03-07-2011, 11:51 PM

10,407 posts, read 8,392,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
That makes 29 straight months running.

Government posts biggest monthly deficit ever - Washington Times

Just keep spending champ, as the US falls to it's knees.
He is busy trying to get that hole in one on the links. Must not bother his concentration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies