U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2011, 06:06 AM

2,910 posts, read 2,866,285 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
This is definitely true. However, Bush presided over an economy inflated by a housing bubble. The deficit was going to skyrocket regardless of who got elected. There's no question, in my mind, that Obama made thngs worse. And liberals and conservatives alike over the last 30 years were responsible for presiding over the conditions that created the mortgage and consumer debt bubbles that preceded the 2008 bust.

Your posts are the classic example of what I'm talking about. You only tell the side of the story that's flattering for you. Now, I'd say you're about 60% right, but you're just like the Obama apologists who only tell the flattering half of the story.

We need to do better than get it 60% right. It needs to be more like 95% or we are screwed.
We are screwed.

The solution is eliminated all entitlements. If entitlements are eliminated, do you think those crooks in Washington going to get re-elected? Look at the VP, he is on public payroll for 40 freaking years. 40 YEARS!!!!!!!! Yes, these are the same people who criticize communist countries like Cuba and China, where officers hold their office for decades.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2011, 08:03 AM

3,568 posts, read 3,182,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
A couple years ago on this very forum, I called for a Manhattan project to increase fuel economy of domestically produced vehicles, but the main obstacle with this approach to solving our oil dependency is it requires leadership on the level of a JFK or Reagan. The reason I would like to see massive research into the area of automotive efficiency isn't as much to solve the problem of dependency as it is to give us a giant club with which to beat OPEC over the head. The Strategic Defense Initiative (star wars) presented a problem to the Soviet Union for which they had no answer. They were forced to negotiate from a position of weakness. So why should we take whatever OPEC offers when we could just as easily cut them off completely?

To be sure, the day we announce we are ending our dependency of foreign oil through an all of the above approach and with all the determination America can muster, terrified oil sheiks will flood the market with oil so as to make our plans seem a solution is search of a problem. At this point our oil suppliers will be our personal b*tches in the same way Khrushchev was after the Cuban Missile Crisis or Gorbachev was after Reykjavík. Of course, we'll never have this sort of advantage over our present keepers as long as presidential campaigns accept foreign donations from fake donors with made up names and addresses and which are processed with untraceable prepaid debit cards. Like I said, this will take leadership we don't presently have.
The Manhattan Project was a matter of survival. Necessity, as they say, is the mother of invention. Our dependence on foreign oil is not a matter of survival. It is a self-inflicted wound. We have the fossil fuel resources to be energy independent. All we need to do is allow private industry to develop them in a way that does the least harm to the immediate environment. That is possible, you know. So why spend taxpayer dollars to chase a solution that is not now necessary? If and when there is a dollar to be made developing non fossil fuel energy sources, trust me the captial will be there to do it.

Old 03-08-2011, 08:52 AM

19,454 posts, read 13,202,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Hey! get even! Send Boehner out to cry about things, he's good at it!

I got lots more, apparently including a much better connection with reality than you.

BTW: Saying Cheney said "Deficits don't matter" IS NOT a quip, it's a fact!
The thread is about the policies of 0bama and the dems, which are spending over $200 billion a month in deficit, and all you have is to criticize Cheney and Boehner.

Our national debt is $14 trillion, we will have to pay it back with interest, and when we do, it will negatively impact us all. Our president is on a course to make it a $20 trillion debt, and the left is silent. When is the political partisanship from people on the left going to end?

For over a decade at least, conservatives have been calling for fiscal control, and an end to runaway federal spending and deficits, and yes, during Bush's administration too. We are consistent, and not politically partisan, democrat drones, who only complain, unless a democrat is president.

0bama is combining an increase in government spending with historical increases in deficit spending, it seems he just cannot spend our nation into economic ruin quickly enough.

Old 03-08-2011, 08:57 AM

22,243 posts, read 14,748,382 times
Neither Party has offered much of anything to deal with the deficit problem. The Deficit Commission(created by Obama in case you forgot) has defined a way forward. Both Parties have rejected that so far, but both also know that plan is basically what we will need to do. I find it funny that the Repubs are proposing ideas that kill jobs and even attack Big Bird. Big Bird is big, but still eats chicken feed.

Old 03-08-2011, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMe View Post
The Manhattan Project was a matter of survival. Necessity, as they say, is the mother of invention. Our dependence on foreign oil is not a matter of survival. It is a self-inflicted wound. We have the fossil fuel resources to be energy independent. All we need to do is allow private industry to develop them in a way that does the least harm to the immediate environment. That is possible, you know. So why spend taxpayer dollars to chase a solution that is not now necessary? If and when there is a dollar to be made developing non fossil fuel energy sources, trust me the captial will be there to do it.
That is one thing we could subsidize, a high mileage engine/drivetrain. We have the technology, all we need is the incentive to do it. Hell, the corvette gets 27+ mpg on the highway, and it has a 6.2L 430 hp V8.

Old 03-08-2011, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
Neither Party has offered much of anything to deal with the deficit problem. The Deficit Commission(created by Obama in case you forgot) has defined a way forward. Both Parties have rejected that so far, but both also know that plan is basically what we will need to do. I find it funny that the Repubs are proposing ideas that kill jobs and even attack Big Bird. Big Bird is big, but still eats chicken feed.
The notion that the federal government should be funding Big Bird is a large part of the problem. Too many people think the function and purpose of the federal government is to fund a never ending flood of government programs for every conceivable thing possible.

Too many politicians who enter the US congress, think their purpose in life is to come up with a new, taxpayer funded, federal program. There must be 10,000-20,000 of these endless programs that we should and must eliminate. We cannot keep funding everything, not with $14+ trillion in debt.

It will take presidential leadership to make this happen, but fat chance on that happening, since our glorious president is the one spearheading all the new spending.

BTW, if we end $10,000,000,000 in government spending, that equals $200 million more dollars that each state has that did not go to the federal government.

Old 03-08-2011, 05:25 PM

30,775 posts, read 17,010,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
Neither Party has offered much of anything to deal with the deficit problem. The Deficit Commission(created by Obama in case you forgot) has defined a way forward. Both Parties have rejected that so far,
No, the PRESIDENT himself REJECTED his OWN commissions recommendations...this is why both parties are having a problem....

When you MAKE your own commission, you should at least listen to them....

Obama Ignores His Deficit Commission | The Lonely Conservative

Many more links out there....if you don't like the link I posted go find one that you do.....

Old 03-09-2011, 08:17 AM

2,910 posts, read 2,866,285 times
All these commissions ever suggest is more government, more regulations.

I am sure some where in their solution is to create a few more agencies to oversees these cut.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies