U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-09-2011, 08:01 AM
 
2,515 posts, read 1,657,434 times
Reputation: 362

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
I thnik as the stimuls money liquidity fades that we will learn just where we really are i mnay things. We already are seeig that public sector jobs are coming uncder cuts after vbeig shielded by stimulus money.This is a important time to watch just what happens when government spending is replaced by consumer.No matter what we had to face it at some point ans politically stimulus is dead .
I think that you have a very good point. We need more income and we need it now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-09-2011, 09:51 AM
 
Location: Littleton, CO
20,894 posts, read 13,119,971 times
Reputation: 3949
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Brings in the meaning of, value is not measured in price alone.
Which frankly serves to further destroy the OP argument.

Edited to add: For example.

In 1975, the average price for a 19" color TV was $300. Adjusted for inflation (using numbers that, by the OP's model are actually low) , that would be $1326.

What will that buy you today?

At Best Buy today you would get a Samsung, 46" Class / 1080p / 120Hz / LED-LCD HDTV... and $25 bucks change.

Last edited by HistorianDude; 03-09-2011 at 10:21 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-09-2011, 10:02 AM
 
Location: The middle of nowhere Arkansas
3,326 posts, read 2,616,340 times
Reputation: 1009
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
1. Nominal (current) GDP increased by 3.8% in 2010 according to the BLS. Nominal GDP is measured in dollars (duh). Dollars measure the value of the goods and services produced in one year.

2. According to the federal reserve, M1 went from $1,681 billion to $1832.1 billion during 2010 an increase of 8.9%. That means the final nominal GDP figure uses dollars that are worth 8.9% less than they were at the beginning of the year.

3. Math time 1.038/1.089=~.95 aka the real economy was 95% of what it was on January 1, 2010 or it shrunk by 5%.

It's not that cut and dry, of course, but more or less, you get the picture.
Assuming your math is correct. As it is this isn't being reported by our glorious main stream press. While we may have a free press it's a damn shame we don't have an unbiased press with journalistic integrity as it's highest priority.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-09-2011, 12:46 PM
 
Location: The Republic of Texas
60,358 posts, read 30,657,929 times
Reputation: 12854
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
Which frankly serves to further destroy the OP argument.

Edited to add: For example.

In 1975, the average price for a 19" color TV was $300. Adjusted for inflation (using numbers that, by the OP's model are actually low) , that would be $1326.

What will that buy you today?

At Best Buy today you would get a Samsung, 46" Class / 1080p / 120Hz / LED-LCD HDTV... and $25 bucks change.

Yet a 19" is still $300, but buying the best technology has, still cost the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-09-2011, 01:02 PM
 
2,515 posts, read 1,657,434 times
Reputation: 362
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
Which frankly serves to further destroy the OP argument.

Edited to add: For example.

In 1975, the average price for a 19" color TV was $300. Adjusted for inflation (using numbers that, by the OP's model are actually low) , that would be $1326.

What will that buy you today?

At Best Buy today you would get a Samsung, 46" Class / 1080p / 120Hz / LED-LCD HDTV... and $25 bucks change.
stuff gets cheaper as you make more of it. There is a lot less stuff in a lager flat screen that the old picture tube TV. Mass wise and the stuff that is there is tine and mass produced. So by the pound the price has gone way up!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-09-2011, 01:03 PM
 
2,515 posts, read 1,657,434 times
Reputation: 362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchman01 View Post
Assuming your math is correct. As it is this isn't being reported by our glorious main stream press. While we may have a free press it's a damn shame we don't have an unbiased press with journalistic integrity as it's highest priority.
well the press was free until someone bought and paid for it. Now what do you call it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-09-2011, 01:09 PM
 
Location: Littleton, CO
20,894 posts, read 13,119,971 times
Reputation: 3949
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Yet a 19" is still $300, but buying the best technology has, still cost the same.
But we get far greater value with the newer "best technology" for the same price.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-09-2011, 01:10 PM
 
Location: Littleton, CO
20,894 posts, read 13,119,971 times
Reputation: 3949
Quote:
Originally Posted by newonecoming2 View Post
stuff gets cheaper as you make more of it. There is a lot less stuff in a lager flat screen that the old picture tube TV. Mass wise and the stuff that is there is tine and mass produced. So by the pound the price has gone way up!!!
Value is not measured by weight.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-09-2011, 01:10 PM
 
2,515 posts, read 1,657,434 times
Reputation: 362
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
But we get far greater value with the newer "best technology" for the same price.
yes we do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-09-2011, 01:12 PM
 
2,515 posts, read 1,657,434 times
Reputation: 362
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
Value is not measured by weight.

No it isn't at least not exclusively so. But mass is one masseur of value. A good example is gold.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top