U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 05:45 AM

16,434 posts, read 9,295,669 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
I expected nothing less from you. Try to blame Bush for everythign taking place, even after Obama has taken office. The fact that prices were high during part of Bushs term was not your point was it? Lets recap what you said..

Clearly you want to be fair then and quote what the price of gas was the day Obama took office and compare it to now right?
That was a simple statement of fact. Gas prices rise and fall regardless of who is president or what he does. Prices are set by oil companies responding to ups and downs in futures prices due to the speculators on Wall Street and other exchanges around the world. I can't blame Bush for gas prices rising, even though he IS the one who shot off his mouth about picking up the phone and telling the Middle East to turn on the spigot if gas prices rose.

Bush has plenty of crimes to answer for, but not gas prices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2015, 02:03 PM

3,792 posts, read 1,773,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
Toilet paper should be sold, or purchased, by weight.
NO do do.

Old 02-09-2015, 02:06 PM

11,435 posts, read 15,963,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContrarianEcon View Post
NO do do.
I can't believe that someone dug this out of the grave! It's still going on. Greedy American companies dupe the ignorant American consumer and maintain their prices.

Old 02-09-2015, 02:06 PM

9,742 posts, read 9,068,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
I consider myself to be a thrifty smart shopper. I only buy what is necessary and seldom splurge on many things. I noticed something today that has eluded me in ly previous trips to the grocery store. The Florida's Natural OJ that I buy (and the Tropican brand) have both shrunk from 64 fl oz to 59 fl oz! Of course, they didn't change the packaging, only the amount of liquid inside. I'm old enough to remember when they used to give 67.6 fl oz, the equiv of 2 liters. When they shrunk to 64 oz, I overlooked it, but now 59 fl oz! I quickly changed my choice and bought the cheaper minute maid (64 fl oz) instead. My Angel soft toilet paper looks mysteriously smaller too. I feel deceived. companies shouldn't get away with this.
This method of recouping costs has been around for awhile. People are more receptive to price than weight/volume.

Old 02-09-2015, 02:08 PM

11,435 posts, read 15,963,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
This method of recouping costs has been around for awhile. People are more receptive to price than weight/volume.
Shoppers need to get in the habit of using the "unit" price to understand what they are TRULY getting.

Old 02-09-2015, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Shoppers need to get in the habit of using the "unit" price to understand what they are TRULY getting.
And to do the math themselves.

Old 02-09-2015, 02:23 PM

5,514 posts, read 4,819,474 times
Here is what I noticed.
things like OJ, milk, eggs, butter, meats are over priced.

trillions of debt, = dollar value drops.
This is known as a inflation tax, and strong dollar prices to other markets and stock market prices is not the real value of the dollar.

The middle class see it and poor see it, its called a inflation tax.
The rich can afford it and dont notice the price of milk goes up 1 dollar more.

When you print money from then air, and regulate the food industry a few things happen.

Prices of food increase, the quality decreases and the only way AROUND this is to do it yourself and or go direct to the source the FARM.

Or get the government to stop printing money and back it with something have real value.

Old 02-09-2015, 02:24 PM

9,742 posts, read 9,068,689 times
Quote:
Many of us do.

Old 02-09-2015, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyandJusticeforAll View Post
Here is what I noticed.
things like OJ, milk, eggs, butter, meats are over priced.

trillions of debt, = dollar value drops.
This is known as a inflation tax, and strong dollar prices to other markets and stock market prices is not the real value of the dollar.

The middle class see it and poor see it, its called a inflation tax.
The rich can afford it and dont notice the price of milk goes up 1 dollar more.

When you print money from then air, and regulate the food industry a few things happen.

Prices of food increase, the quality decreases and the only way AROUND this is to do it yourself and or go direct to the source the FARM.

Or get the government to stop printing money and back it with something have real value.
If you want the top to feel the inflation tax and the bottom to not then try upping the minimum wage more each year than the inflation rate.

Old 02-09-2015, 02:32 PM

1,632 posts, read 1,426,400 times
Easter.. Canburys cream eggs , same price smaller size
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies