U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 10:26 PM

334 posts, read 145,879 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Commodity prices are through the roof since Obama has been elected. Coincidence, most likely, but it is undeniable..

Food prices have risen steadily since late 2008.

For the record, its not just happening here..
Wholesale food prices soar as commodity costs rise | Business | guardian.co.uk

The part that pisses me off, you know when commodities come back down, they wont increase the size of the boxes to what they were beofre again...
Just like gas prices shot up to $5 a gallon during the Bush-wacking, from $1.24 in my area. Even less.

After we killed Saddam, the Taliban got their turbans whipped, and let's face it, nobody has really heard anything meaningful from Al Queda in a while, we never went below $2.50

To reiterate, gas was up 100% from pre-9/11/2001, and people were almost "happy" with that. Now it's pushing $4 again over here.

Trump is right. We need a few Jersey boys with baseball bats to go and have a sit down with the OPEC boys. This is ridiculous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2011, 10:28 PM

1,592 posts, read 3,003,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
it is.. see posting #21.. except nowadays we dont call it generic shopping, its called private label shopping....
I was wondering if that was similar...thanks for enlightening us.

Old 03-07-2011, 10:30 PM

561 posts, read 421,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 58robbo View Post
i'd be damned if i understood your comment rd, care to explain?
Sorry, dude. It was a lame attempt at sarcasm.
When you say anything that smells like capitalism or individual responsibility around here someone is sure to call you racist, anti-poor or something similar. I like your view of the free market at least as it relates ot orange juice.

Old 03-07-2011, 10:33 PM

1,337 posts, read 1,172,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
My Angel soft toilet paper looks mysteriously smaller too. I feel deceived. Companies shouldn't get away with this.
The toilet paper issue has been around for quite some time, people have been vocally complaining about it for the last several years. Many a blog article has been devoted to that. The rolls are indeed getting smaller, and some websites have even published the letters from the makers of toilet paper explaining why they 'downsized' the rolls. Their response was that they elected to downsize the rolls instead of raising the price.

Take note that oftentimes they have not only just reduced the width of the roll, but they actually increased the diameter of the cardboard insert, thus chiseling you out of square footage in more ways than one.

Bryer's and some of the other big ice cream manufacturers have made their packages smaller too (I think Ben & Jerry's reduced the package size, as well), electing to keep the same price while only offering 75 - 80'ish percent of the original size.

There are a variety of possible responses the consumer can take, but the route I usually opt for is to just go with the bargain brands. If the "name brand" companies are going to start chiseling me out of product.... *shrugs*.... I could write them a letter, and they might actually respond if enough people do so, but I think I'd rather just not give them my money. I'd rather give it to the off-brand that's oftentimes the same quality, but considerably lower price, for equal weight/volume of product. My only exception thusfar is generic breakfast cereal.... the stuff often tastes like crap.... so I just bite the bullet on that one and go with the product I actually prefer. I've tried some of the $1 cereal at the "Dollar Store," great price, but it's pretty *blech*.

Last edited by FreedomThroughAnarchism; 03-07-2011 at 10:51 PM..

Old 03-07-2011, 10:35 PM

4,126 posts, read 4,335,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
Do what I do. Buy fresh meats and produce, cook from scratch, and bake twice a week. Drink water or make iced tea. Do without prepared foods and junk food.

You'd be amazed at how cheaply you can eat well. I spend @ $75 to buy groceries for my wife and myself for a week.
I agree. I also do my own canning. I generally don't eat anything from a box or a can unless I put it there myself. I keep hearing people say that the processed foods are cheaper but I'm just not buying it.

I spend about $90/week for me and my son. I live in the SF East bay. I've been told we live in an area with the highest cost of living in the US, from what I've gleaned about other folks' expenses, I suspect it's true. I know people spending hundreds a week for two buying mostly processed poison and they're not eating well at all. I only make a loaf of bread a week. Me and bread don't get along well. The doc says I have a genetic issue that makes me gluten intolerant. She said about 20% of those with Irish ancestry are the same. It doesn't bother my boy. Anyway, I noticed a loaf of bread in the grocery store was between $4 and $6.50 a loaf! Geez. I doubt if I spend even a buck-fiddy including electricity for the oven to bake a loaf of bread. I never did like sweets. To me, most foods are sweet to begin with but candy is just plain gross. My kid however disagrees. I occasionally buy him some candy but not often. Both of us are quite fit but I can't help notice that his (my son's) school friends and their parents always seem to be sick and even the one's who aren't fat are pretty soft. I think people would be a lot healthier and have more coins to rub together if they'd just quit buying the pre-packaged garbage they use as an over priced substitute for food.

Old 03-07-2011, 10:35 PM

561 posts, read 421,852 times
Default Capitalism Is A Wonderful Thing !

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bright_future View Post
there is a laundry stain remover product that I see selling the spray bottle for like $2.40 , for like 40 ounces. Then they have the "GREEN" refill bottle that is the same 40 ounces, that you refill into your current spray bottle for $2.62.
To hear there are still a few entrepreneurs around makes me weep with pride.

Old 03-07-2011, 10:36 PM

19,216 posts, read 12,486,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreedomThroughAnarchism View Post
The toilet paper issue has been around for quite some time, people have been vocally complaining about it for the last several years. Many a blog article has been devoted to that. The rolls are indeed getting smaller . .

And the cylindrical cores are getting larger and larger in diameter, not to mention the increased amount of air puffed into the pulp fiber.

Old 03-07-2011, 11:29 PM

5,798 posts, read 5,249,845 times
Don't some of you recall the extensive amount of coverage Hersheys chocolate received several years ago when their iconic 8-oz chocolate bar was shrunk to 7 oz, with no corresponding drop in price?

This has indeed been going on for ages; half-gallons of ice cream by numrous major brands were reduced from 64 oz. to 56 oz. several years ago, and that practice is widespread for miilions of grocery products.

Small wonder that Uncle Sam's preposterous CPI, which excludes food & enetgy prices (another 'inconvenient truth' they'd just as soon wish you knew nothing about) is a totally worthless stat.

Old 03-08-2011, 12:23 AM

2,220 posts, read 2,039,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRUEGRITT View Post
If anyone is really having a hard time check out this link.

Find Your Closest Local Host Site - Angel Food Ministries
You can also order food through The Treasure Box. Their monthly food boxes give you between $65 & $100 worth of food for $32. My church is an ordering point for them; so glad to be able to give back

Old 03-08-2011, 12:33 AM

11,435 posts, read 15,974,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv101 View Post
Don't some of you recall the extensive amount of coverage Hersheys chocolate received several years ago when their iconic 8-oz chocolate bar was shrunk to 7 oz, with no corresponding drop in price?

This has indeed been going on for ages; half-gallons of ice cream by numrous major brands were reduced from 64 oz. to 56 oz. several years ago, and that practice is widespread for miilions of grocery products.

Small wonder that Uncle Sam's preposterous CPI, which excludes food & enetgy prices (another 'inconvenient truth' they'd just as soon wish you knew nothing about) is a totally worthless stat.
didn't that happen a long time ago? I remember when Hersheys bars went up to 25 cents a bar back in 1976. I thought that it was at that time when they also got smaller.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies