Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2011, 03:37 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,931,772 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioIstheBest View Post
Look at victims of violent crime in this country. It is clear that gays are not any more likely to be victimized than a non-gay person. It is probable they are less likely to be a victim of a violent crime than a non-gay. Althoguh, it is difficult to say for sure. One thing we do know for fact. They are not any more likely to be a victim of a violent crime than a hetereosexual.

Now compare that to violent crime victims that are black. It is nonsense to say gays have it bad or worse in this country.

Of course, people don't want to see what is actually happening. They will call anyone that disagress with them homophobe or whatever. It's all rather boring. Or they will say I think it's okay that gays are sometimes treated wrong. Another childish argument.

So whatever, if people wanna act like gays are being beaten and killed everyday in the streets then go ahead. Government statistics say otherwise.

Winning.
There is just as much black on white crime as white on black crime, but you don't see me saying white people have it harder than gays or a serious struggle

Old 03-09-2011, 03:46 AM

4,877 posts, read 4,507,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calibro1 View Post
You have no idea what you're talking about. Please stopping time on here.

Gays are not inflating numbers, I explained why it is hard to measure and where the 8-10% number comes from.

Suicide rates increase due to increased bullying.

Homosexuality is normal, it may not be the majority but it is normal.

It's very repugnant to not treat this as a serious issue when suicide among gay teens is quite high, as well as running away from home.

Fostering a culture of acceptance can alleviate these things. Simply dismissing them on basis of your personal bias or for political reasons is harmful and essential a big F U to kids that just want to live to their life.
I agreed it is hard to measure the numbers. Gays say it is around 10%. Everyone else says closer to 3%. So, who is inflating numbers? I see no reason to think that gay groups are any more honest things than any other group pushing a political agenda.

Suicide rates in the 1980s increased due to rock music. We had congressional hearings and everything. The problem just magically disappeared. Even though kids still listen to rock and roll.

I never said homosexuality wasn't normal.

If you were treating this as a serious issue you wouldn't be on here talking to me about it. I'm not a teen. I'm not gay. There is zero chance I will kill myself for being a gay teen. Zero.

I don't even know what you mean by "fostering a culture of acceptance". What do you want me to do? Look at govt crime data. Gays are not the victims of crimes any more than the hetereos. Therefore, I conclude that the idea that gays are treated differently is nonsense. That doesn't mean I have anything against gays. Or that I think they should be treated badly. And I think it is terrible that people commit suicide. But, I don't do anything to encourage "unacceptance" so it is not really my problem. I believe people are wrong when they say gays are treated violently at higher rates than anyone else. And the data backs me up.

Off to work. Have a good day.

Oh no. There are gay people where I work.

And women. And blacks. And we even have a Muslim. Whatever will I do. The horror. The shame.

Oh wait, I forgot. I don't give a crap. I like the people I work with. Even the gay ones.

Old 03-09-2011, 03:48 AM

4,877 posts, read 4,507,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
There is just as much black on white crime as white on black crime, but you don't see me saying white people have it harder than gays or a serious struggle
Either way.

It doesn't change the FACT that gays are no more likely to be a victim of violent crime than a non-gay.

Good day.

Old 03-09-2011, 03:52 AM

Quote:
Either way.

It doesn't change the FACT that gays are no more likely to be a victim of violent crime than a non-gay.

Good day.
Thats not true, the OP is from schools, if you really think that gay kids in school are not given a harder time than non-gays or are not more likely to be picked on you have obviously graduated way too long ago to remember.

And also, a gay person in high school is more likely to be the victim in bullying for being gay than a black person for being black.

Old 03-09-2011, 04:03 AM

2,208 posts, read 1,836,061 times
Quote:
I agreed it is hard to measure the numbers. Gays say it is around 10%. Everyone else says closer to 3%. So, who is inflating numbers? I see no reason to think that gay groups are any more honest things than any other group pushing a political agenda.

Suicide rates in the 1980s increased due to rock music. We had congressional hearings and everything. The problem just magically disappeared. Even though kids still listen to rock and roll.

I never said homosexuality wasn't normal.

If you were treating this as a serious issue you wouldn't be on here talking to me about it. I'm not a teen. I'm not gay. There is zero chance I will kill myself for being a gay teen. Zero.

I don't even know what you mean by "fostering a culture of acceptance". What do you want me to do? Look at govt crime data. Gays are not the victims of crimes any more than the hetereos. Therefore, I conclude that the idea that gays are treated differently is nonsense. That doesn't mean I have anything against gays. Or that I think they should be treated badly. And I think it is terrible that people commit suicide. But, I don't do anything to encourage "unacceptance" so it is not really my problem. I believe people are wrong when they say gays are treated violently at higher rates than anyone else. And the data backs me up.

Off to work. Have a good day.

Oh no. There are gay people where I work.

And women. And blacks. And we even have a Muslim. Whatever will I do. The horror. The shame.

Oh wait, I forgot. I don't give a crap. I like the people I work with. Even the gay ones.
That's why I helped gay teens. It's your attitude that this isn't serious and that "ho hum"

I wouldn't disagree with that. But the gay "leaders" always say it is 8-10%, so I go with that.

I suspect it probably is 2-3%. Gays have inflated the numbers to make to help them gain political support and to appear "normal". (For lack of a better word).

The implication was that homosexuality is not "normal". This is what you wrote.

So if gays are not likely to be bullied, why do most mental health professionals disagree. There is a correlation between bullying and suicide.

Rock music and suicide NEVER had the consensus that bullying and suicide does. There was the possibility, but never a direct link. We have that link and gays are more likely to be affected.

The data you are looking at is the WRONG data. You're not looking at schools, which is where the OP cited and where everyone is talking about. You're looking at the population in general.

Old 03-09-2011, 06:07 AM

11,466 posts, read 19,351,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miyu View Post
Would you say that to the blacks enslaved by whites? Jews persecuted during the Holocaust? To the people who were attacked on 9/11? Hrm. Maybe they should all quit their whining.
Are the Homosexuals enslaved? tortured? these are a few kids being picked on, many kids get picked on because they are fat, skinny, geeky or a number of reasons, learning how to deal with it is part of life it doesn't end with childhood if a person doesn't deal with it as a child they wont when they are an adult.

Old 03-09-2011, 06:27 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,617,004 times
Quote:
I think gays definitely have it worse. This isn't the 1950s anymore.. racism doesn't run rampant against blacks like it used to. Black people do not face any more discrimination than white people or any other race, but gay people will definitely face discrimination. When was the last ralley you saw against black people?
How do you discriminate against a gay person?

How does one know a person is gay w/out being told? Is there a distinguishing feature among them? Maybe their haircut? Their faaaaaaaaaaaabulous shoes? Unless you're told, you don't know.

I'm sorry if you think people should be able to act however they'd like with no ramifications (unless they're conservative, white Evangelicals). Certain behavior will cause you to be treated differently. That's just called "life".

Old 03-09-2011, 06:53 AM

22,632 posts, read 14,943,387 times
Quote:
I wouldn't disagree with that. But the gay "leaders" always say it is 8-10%, so I go with that.

I suspect it probably is 2-3%. Gays have inflated the numbers to make to help them gain political support and to appear "normal". (For lack of a better word).
The mother of all statistical research on sexual orientation was done by the University of Indiana's Institute For Sex Research founded by the late Dr. Alfred Kinsey. It was the only study that interviewed tens of thousands of randomly selected Americans. They never said, as claimed by some, that gays constitute 10% of the population ... they put the figure at 4-5% for women and 6-8% for men. When considering all individuals with some "significant" -not an isolated single instance - of bisexual experience the figure jumps to 10%.

"Gay leaders" did not come up with these numbers.

When some conservative groups where outraged by these figures they insisted on an independent audit of the statistical research and the American Statistical Association was consulted. After a couple of years of analyzing the research, the ASA certified that the figures were in accordance with scientific statistical guidelines.

Old 03-09-2011, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
How do you discriminate against a gay person?

How does one know a person is gay w/out being told? Is there a distinguishing feature among them? Maybe their haircut? Their faaaaaaaaaaaabulous shoes? Unless you're told, you don't know.

I'm sorry if you think people should be able to act however they'd like with no ramifications (unless they're conservative, white Evangelicals). Certain behavior will cause you to be treated differently. That's just called "life".
flambouant gays actually annoy me and i keep my distance, but it doesnt mean i pick on them or treat them poorly. They can't help they are feminine just like a black person can;t help they were born black.

Old 03-09-2011, 07:03 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,617,004 times
Quote:
flambouant gays actually annoy me and i keep my distance, but it doesnt mean i pick on them or treat them poorly. They can't help they are feminine just like a black person can;t help they were born black.
I'm not suggesting it's a good thing to mistreat anyone. But it's a fact of life. Why are some "flamboyant" and others aren't? Is there a genetic reason they are that way? If so, why aren't all like that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies