Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will there be a government shutdown?
Yes 72 63.16%
No 24 21.05%
Not sure 18 15.79%
Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 01:14 PM

12,481 posts, read 10,218,480 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Java378 View Post
Usually when the government shutdown, we saved money back in the 90s.
I say tis tongue in cheek.
The last time we had a government shut down the public announcements were all non essential employees need to stay at home.
what is a non essential employee and why do we have them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2011, 01:16 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,164,623 times
In a way, federal employees will get paid for not doing work. Hence, we're spending money for nothing getting done. That's a waste. Now, if federal employees did not get reimbursed for that time off, then the only cost would be the work that piled up as applicable.

Old 04-05-2011, 01:18 PM

1,446 posts, read 3,550,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita Mordio View Post
In a way, federal employees will get paid for not doing work. Hence, we're spending money for nothing getting done. That's a waste. Now, if federal employees did not get reimbursed for that time off, then the only cost would be the work that piled up as applicable.

So they don't shut down payroll?

Isn't that an -expletive-

Old 04-05-2011, 01:22 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,164,623 times
Quote:
So they don't shut down payroll?

Isn't that an -expletive-
The way I've had it explained to me (by the Civi's down the hall) is that payroll does get shut down, but once everything is back to normal, they get backpay.

Old 04-05-2011, 01:23 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,917,108 times
Default Obama's desperation is showing ......

Afraid that a government shut down will reflect poorly upon his re-election campaign, Obama states that the economy cannot take a shut down.

The economy? Obama, whose policies and big spending projects endanger the economy, is suddenly worried that a government shut down will endanger it?

Ladies and gentlemen: Obama, our fearmonger-in-Chief

Obama: Economy Can't Afford Government Shutdown - FoxBusiness.com

Old 04-05-2011, 01:24 PM

45,201 posts, read 26,417,923 times
Just more double speak from the pretender.

Old 04-05-2011, 01:24 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,442,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita Mordio View Post
We are spending money for nothing getting done now. I agree that it is a waste, but that is the nature of government - to waste taxpayer money, and nobody does it better than Democrats.

In the event of a federal government shutdown the federal laws will continue to be enforced, the military will continue fighting its multiple wars, and all the checks to the various parasites will continue to be mailed out. If non-essential civilian personnel are told not to show up for work because Congress cannot pass a budget, then they should not be compensated for work they did not do. At least then the taxpayer can save a few days of labor costs when the almost two million civilian federal employees are not working.

Old 04-05-2011, 01:27 PM

22,229 posts, read 17,847,737 times
One problem with the Repub shutdown, the people out there fighting our wars, won't get paid.

Old 04-05-2011, 01:30 PM

2,652 posts, read 4,796,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
We are spending money for nothing getting done now. I agree that it is a waste, but that is the nature of government - to waste taxpayer money, and nobody does it better than Democrats.

In the event of a federal government shutdown the federal laws will continue to be enforced, the military will continue fighting its multiple wars, and all the checks to the various parasites will continue to be mailed out. If non-essential civilian personnel are told not to show up for work because Congress cannot pass a budget, then they should not be compensated for work they did not do. At least then the taxpayer can save a few days of labor costs when the almost two million civilian federal employees are not working.
I'm a federal worker. Do I want the gov to shut down...no. Let's say the government shut down. Should Congress get paid as well? Since, I'm not. I have a sizeable nest egg, so I can afford to be on leave for a few days. Oh, and not get reimbursed.

Old 04-05-2011, 01:43 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,210,493 times
Quote:
Usually when the government shutdown, we saved money back in the 90s.
The union government workers will probably demand compensation for lost wages. The country is in the very best of hands.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies