Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2011, 10:36 AM

6,548 posts, read 7,277,719 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabman1 View Post
Just a thought nilla but when I gave my daughter away I was not transferring property. I was saying goodbye to someone who I held as a baby, carried through uncounted malls, went on the roller coaster with when she was scared, hugged when she was sad, so many moments. All cherished. Through all of it I loved and protected her. You of course will not know what it is like to be a father. To hope that when it comes time your daughter finds a man who will love her completely and unconditionally. That will put her first in all things like you did. I'm not good with words so it is hard to explain what it is like to be standing there, your daughter in white. The man she loves across from her. Its hard to explain because its really sad and you feel loss, but you are also really happy to see the shared dream of a future filled with happiness that dances in their eyes, the simple love. I'm glad I had that moment, I believe when it comes check out time I will look back on it as one of the things that made the journey worthwhile.
The thing is that the son is not “given away”, is a son less valuable, cherished, treasured, loved than a daughter? Why don’t families “give away” their son too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Whoever asks pays. Period.

Simple question. Who does the majority of the asking, taking the initiative, romancing, takes the risks, etc. Men or women? Therefore, what does “whoever asks pays” really mean?

Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
At the very least people should know the origin of the traditions and think about the meaning a little bit.
Women swoon to the Hollywood chick flicks scenes and ignore the meaning of many sexist traditions. It looks pretty in a movie of course, I'll give you that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2011, 10:38 AM

3,767 posts, read 4,529,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Personally, I don't need that particular lecture. Somewhere around here I still have my "Ratify ERA 1975" button. (Yep. Just like the one Betty Ford wore.)

Oh, one more reason I had my father give me away was because it meant a lot to him. And he was a man who understood the need for equality in the workplace. He was hiring single mothers in the early 60's when it was unheard of. And giving them postions of responsibility. This was back when a divorced woman was looked upon as some sort of lesser human being. All he ever saw was a human being with value. And kids to feed.

He was also arguing with Little League of America in the early 60's to allow girls onto the field. That would be me. Just thought I'd throw that in there. I know the battle for women's rights. I've lived it. I fought myself, as a working journalist, to be allowed into the press boxes of sports venues in the 70's. (We "girls" weren't allowed in.) Yup. Know a little history. I've walked the walk.

Very nice. Thanks for sharing. Some people are so caustic, full of vitriol, anger and hate that they don't even understand what they are fighting for.

Old 03-09-2011, 10:38 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,146,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
Another one who has fallen victim to the liberal lie.

The liberal left "feminist" is all about *their* rights, as they perceive them, not the rights of all women. There are no so-called feminists coming to the defense of conservative women on the right. They will slam home-schoolers even though it's well known that home schooled kids generally do better academically and on tests than the do the products of our liberal not-so-good education system. They will slam women who choose to have families by calling them all sorts of names, including "breeders" (which says a lot about the person using the term); they most certainly are vehemently pro-abortion.

Feminists should grow up and realize that they have every opportunity to choose to do what they want with their bodies *before* they have sex. Once they have sex that results in conception, they no longer have a second choice. Abortion then IS killing the baby. They are all for it. They do not believe in a woman's right to have a baby as much as they believe in a woman's right to abort that baby.

Ever see a woman with a t-shirt that has an arrow pointing down to a swollen belly, and says "fetus"?
Feminism isn't all about abortion as you are.

But I can't debate with someone who wants to prove a point by what a T-shirt says...LOLOLOL! OMGAWD!

Old 03-09-2011, 11:20 AM

88,560 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
[MOD CUT] . A father giving away the bride is a direct remnant of when women were considered chattel . . . study history, people!
And a wedding ring comes from the time when people thought a direct connection went from the left ring finger to the liver, which was thought to be the center of all our emotions. We know better now but still keep these traditions.

Old 03-09-2011, 11:20 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,203,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
No. That's called 'manners.' I hold doors open for men, too...whoever gets to the door first who sees someone else coming can hold the damn door.

Whoever asks pays. Period.
Most women I have dated do not feel the same as you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Good answer but you're using that old bugaboo of misogynists...logic....

Sexists need ingrained absolute RULES to conduct their lives no matter how ridiculous or meaningless the "RULES" are...
Hey slick, why not talk to me before you go calling me sexist or a misogynist. OK champ? I ask a simple question and this is how you respond? The majority of women still expect a man to pay on a first date, for example.

Personally, I cook more for my girlfriend more than she cooks for me, she makes more money than me, etc. I am in no ways sexist. I personally don't care at all about 'traditional gender roles' or any of that crap. I am just being realistic about the world. Can you, with a straight face, tell me that more women don't expect a man to pay on a first date than the reverse of that? And please don't be ignorant enough to judge someone before talking to them. Either answer the question I asked like an adult or stay home and keep the insults to yourself. OK tiger? Do we want to stick our heads in the sand, be PC and act like there are not still cultural differences between men and women in America today or be realistic about what is happening? Obviously we know how you want to act.

Old 03-09-2011, 11:54 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,146,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
Most women I have dated do not feel the same as you.

Hey slick, why not talk to me before you go calling me sexist or a misogynist. OK champ? I ask a simple question and this is how you respond? The majority of women still expect a man to pay on a first date, for example.

Personally, I cook more for my girlfriend more than she cooks for me, she makes more money than me, etc. I am in no ways sexist. I personally don't care at all about 'traditional gender roles' or any of that crap. I am just being realistic about the world. Can you, with a straight face, tell me that more women don't expect a man to pay on a first date than the reverse of that? And please don't be ignorant enough to judge someone before talking to them. Either answer the question I asked like an adult or stay home and keep the insults to yourself. OK tiger? Do we want to stick our heads in the sand, be PC and act like there are not still cultural differences between men and women in America today or be realistic about what is happening? Obviously we know how you want to act.
Hey Pal, Champ, Bubba, Dearie, Sugar bee, Poopsie woopsie,Tiggy Wiggy, Lovey Poo Champ, I wasn't answering your post.

A. Your personal life is of no interest to me.

B. Your personal life is of no interest to me.

C. (See Above)...

Then read post 138...very informative...

Old 03-09-2011, 12:21 PM

13,610 posts, read 21,391,107 times
I'll explain the difference between feminism and equal rights.

Equal rights is like MLK, who fought for the black person to have the same rights. But with any struggle for equal rights, branches out a section that wants to go beyond, which led to the black panthers seeking "black power".

The same with women rights. Equal rights is one thing, but feminism has led to some women seeking "woman power", mostly power over men. Which is why with feminism you will see women claiming men are only needed for certain things, like as a sperm donor but not needed as a parent. Men are expendable. Feminism promotes women being better, or over powering over men, sort of "payback" for years of men treating women that way.

Feminism usually are women who treat or seek men that are beta and servant to them. If she is beautiful, she'll use that power over men in a even more unforgiving way.

That is my personal experience with feminism.....

Old 03-09-2011, 12:50 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,203,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Hey Pal, Champ, Bubba, Dearie, Sugar bee, Poopsie woopsie,Tiggy Wiggy, Lovey Poo Champ, I wasn't answering your post.

A. Your personal life is of no interest to me.

B. Your personal life is of no interest to me.

C. (See Above)...

Then read post 138...very informative...
right champ...you were responding to a post about my post.

And that doesn't respond to the fact that you are throwing judgement all over the place on this thread. try to have a conversation without the holier-than thou attitude.

Old 03-09-2011, 01:16 PM

914 posts, read 4,444,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya View Post
If I was doing the same work and making a lot less I would not necessarily get angry but would go speak to my employer and find out why and get it addressed. Going around angry doesn't solve the problem.
Oh my gosh! How silly of us all! This was the answer all along!! Silly hormones making us crazy for nothing!

Sorry dude, I've actually tried that. And if you think women at large haven't, you're too clueless for words. You know what happens if you try to speak to your employer if feel someone inferior to you was promoted ahead of you because they are male? They don't talk to you. The time that it happened to me, I got obviously thin excuses, total BS. And believe me, it wasn't me. I know when I'm doing a better job than someone. Do you know what happens to many women when they try this, completely rationally and professionally. They get fired. And instead of addressing the issue, our culture has decided to instead blame it on women. Oh, they must be whiny. Or bitter and unhappy. Boo-hoo.

Interesting idea though. Reminds me of, whenever I see men claiming women's lot in life obviously must be their own, you know what my little bit o' psychology background tells me? Mommy problems. That must be it!

Old 03-09-2011, 01:21 PM

3,767 posts, read 4,529,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jillaceae View Post
Oh my gosh! How silly of us all! This was the answer all along!! Silly hormones making us crazy for nothing!
Sorry dude, I've actually tried that. And if you think women at large haven't, you're too clueless for words. You know what happens if you try to speak to your employer if feel someone inferior to you was promoted ahead of you because they are male? They don't talk to you. The time that it happened to me, I got obviously thin excuses, total BS. And believe me, it wasn't me. I know when I'm doing a better job than someone. Do you know what happens to many women when they try this, completely rationally and professionally. They get fired. And instead of addressing the issue, our culture has decided to instead blame it on women. Oh, they must be whiny. Or bitter and unhappy. Boo-hoo.

Interesting idea though. Reminds me of, whenever I see men claiming women's lot in life obviously must be their own, you know what my little bit o' psychology background tells me? Mommy problems. That must be it!
Wow Jill, you seem angry. Very. And bitter. Sort of a proto-type feminist. Someone asked me a question and I replied honestly. Without anger or sarcasm or vitriol I might add. Then you come in on a wild tear. I almost feel assaulted lol.

The forum member asked me if I would be angry if I found out a co-worker of the opposite sex was making more money than me equally qualified. I answered no I would take action instead of getting angry and go speak to my employer. And I deserve this from you?

Last edited by Booya; 03-09-2011 at 01:50 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies