Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 01:30 PM

6,391 posts, read 5,166,596 times

Advertisements

GOP Senators Introduce National 'Right-to-Work' Bill to Restrict Unions - FoxNews.com

I am all for this.. There should NEVER be a closed shop, requiring people to join a union for the right to work somewhere. In fact I believe it's ANTI-American, because to force someone to Join a UNION and PAY dues to it, just for the privilege of working, is so wrong it makes me ill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2011, 01:31 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,810,657 times
Yay! More entitlements! Just what we need!

Old 03-09-2011, 01:35 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,563,825 times
Yay! More legistlation that will never make it through, costing the taxpayers money! But hey, at least it's symbolic. They are all about less spending, aren't they?

Old 03-09-2011, 01:36 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,975,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
GOP Senators Introduce National 'Right-to-Work' Bill to Restrict Unions - FoxNews.com

I am all for this.. There should NEVER be a closed shop, requiring people to join a union for the right to work somewhere. In fact I believe it's ANTI-American, because to force someone to Join a UNION and PAY dues to it, just for the privilege of working, is so wrong it makes me ill.
Well basically you are asking to destroy unions then, because it's real real easy for a company to discriminate against union employees versus non-union at their company. It destroys the power of the union to back up their bargaining with the threat of an effective strike. Companies do not bargain in good faith when that occurs.

States can allow right to work laws, but like all hypocritical conservatives....you don't value States rights in this case....you want States that don't agree with your right wing radicalism to have it imposed on them from on high by the Federal government.

So typical of "small government" conservatives with these double standards.

Old 03-09-2011, 01:36 PM

4,410 posts, read 6,137,563 times
Corporations run the government and the economy. They get the biggest tax breaks which all of us workers have to pay in some form or another. Unions are the only thing representing the workers. I will never give up the only thing I might have going for me even if I have to pay something to retain that defense. In my state, a "right to work" really means I can be fired for no stated reason. In other words, I really have NO right to work. Do we really want a society without any job security? Do we really want the corporatocracy to determine everything? This is a country of people, not corporations, not pieces of paper. It is not an economy, it is a country created by actual living human beings. Their work should be rewarded, not diminished to fulfill some business' bottom line.

Old 03-09-2011, 01:38 PM

19,784 posts, read 15,108,168 times
Another piece of crap legislation from the GOOPers.

Old 03-09-2011, 01:38 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,203,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouse2001 View Post
Corporations run the government and the economy. They get the biggest tax breaks which all of us workers have to pay in some form or another. Unions are the only thing representing the workers. I will never give up the only thing I might have going for me even if I have to pay something to retain that defense. In my state, a "right to work" really means I can be fired for no stated reason. In other words, I really have NO right to work. Do we really want a society without any job security? Do we really want the corporatocracy to determine everything?
I absolutely want a country without job security. The only real job security anyone should have is the fact that they are good enough at their job to not get fired.

Unions are a ball and chain dragging the economy down. If you need a union to not get fired, then you are simply not good at your job.

Old 03-09-2011, 01:41 PM

2 posts, read 13,146 times
hey darkatt, if it was not for unions people would be working 10 12 14 hour days at mimmal pay un safe working conditions and far as paying dues, to keep a safe work place and a decent wage i am all for it

Old 03-09-2011, 01:41 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,975,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
I absolutely want a country without job security. The only real job security anyone should have is the fact that they are good enough at their job to not get fired.

Unions are a ball and chain dragging the economy down. If you need a union to not get fired, then you are simply not good at your job.
The highest unionized countries in the World are synonymous with the highest standard of living countries in the World.

You have no idea what you are talking about.

Aditionally, Sweden the most unionized country in the World 79% has a substantially lower unemployment rate than the USA

http://www.google.com/publicdata?ds=...mployment+rate

http://www.google.com/publicdata?ds=...mployment+rate

Old 03-09-2011, 01:45 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,203,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
The highest unionized countries in the World are synonymous with the highest standard of living countries in the World.

You have no idea what you are talking about.
And correlation does not imply causality. Unions had a purpose - when companies were forcing employees to work 16 hour days without breaks or they would take the employee's house. That isn't the case anymore. Unions drive wages up way beyond an equilibrium level, and drag the economy down. I have never been part of a union and I never will.

And please respond to what I actually said. The only real job security anyone should have is the fact that they are good enough at their job to not get fired.

Do you agree or disagree with that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies