Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 11:43 AM

10,854 posts, read 9,272,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirchBarlow View Post
I mean really, if Republicans can manage to raise their own money, why can't Democrats?
Can Republicans REALLY manage to raise their own money?

How can a political party propose to solve the country's fiscal problems

WHEN THEY CAN'T SOLVE THEIR OWN?

RNC finances suffer from loss of major donors

Quote:
Hundreds of major donors have abandoned the Republican National Committee, leaving it $20 million in debt and threatening its future as a central player in the 2012 presidential election.

The RNC raised just $7 million from major donors for the midterm elections, one sixth as much as it brought in for the previous midterms, in 2006. By contrast, the Democratic National Committee raised $38 million from large donors for last fall's midterms, three times as much as for the 2006 elections, according to a Washington Post analysis of donor records.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2011, 02:33 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,533,171 times
Quote:
I mean really, if Republicans can manage to raise their own money, why can't Democrats? Why is it that they need public sector union bosses to shake down their rank and file and fill their campaign coffers? Why is it they need taxpayer money to fill their campaign coffers? Why are they so afraid of having to compete with Republicans in a free market?

Out of one side of their mouths liberals tell us that they represent the interests of the majority of the American people, the "middle class", yet out of the other side of their mouths liberals scream that without public sector unions lining their coffers, the Democrat Party is essentially powerless. Well let me ask you this, if liberals represent the viewpoint of the majority, then why would they have trouble raising money in a free market? Furthermore, if the Democrat Party can't raise money without public sector unions propping them up, doesn't that reinforce the fact that Democrats do not represent the majority of voters but rather only themselves and their cronies?

All any of this proves is that there's very little demand for Democrat politicians in a truly free market. The only reason the Democrat Party has survived so long is because they've been propped up by TARP funds in the form of public sector unions. Like all of their failed ideas (food stamps, section 8, Medicaid, Social Security, Amtrak, etc.) the Democrat Party is just one giant taxpayer subsidy that couldn't compete in a free market. That's why liberals were so infuriated when the Supreme Court overturned the campaign finance reform law. Liberalism can't compete in a free market. Like GM and Chrysler, they need to be propped up by bailouts.
That is one of the dumbest most ignorant post I have ever read. Firstly the entire post is based on a faulty assumption. Obama raised way more money than the Republicans from the general public in the last presidential election. The money he raised on the net has never been surpassed.

If I had a million supporters that could afford $1 each for a donation I would still be way behind someone who had 10,000 supporters that could afford $1000 each. That is sort of an accurate parable of the political process in the USA. Since the top 10% of the population control something like 90% of the money in the country is it any wonder that the party that represents their narrow interests has no problem raising funds?

It makes me laugh when I hear Americans over and over again spouting out about how "FREE" the country is. The whole concept of money- politics, reduces your freedom like nothing else. When your government is owned by special interests, where is your freedom. Where is your government that is supposed to be representing all the people. Well it doesn't exist. The citizens united decision has got to be one of the worst supreme court decisions in American histore. Right up there with the Dread Scott decision.

I claim that Canada is the freest country in the world. One of the prime principals that gives us such freedom is our political contribution law.
Corporations and any other special interest groups are allowed to contribute exactly $0 to the process. Lobbyists have to Approach the government that what they want is "good for the country, good for the economy and so therefore ultimately good for your relection chances". In the USA it's, " this is what I want and I don't care if it's good for the country, good for the economy, good for consummers. It's good for me and you OWE me. If you don't do what I want you will not be relected and I have the money to make sure you won't.

The massive problems that the USA faces will not begin to be solved until the people control the government and the first step in that process is to get the special interest money completely out of the process.

Old 03-10-2011, 03:02 PM

31,387 posts, read 36,931,403 times
Would it make any difference to point out that union members are not required to pay that portion of their dues that goes to political candidates or causes? It is sort of the law.

Old 03-10-2011, 03:52 PM

4,399 posts, read 10,637,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
Yes I am being forced to work for a union. I have no choice to opt out. I still pay dues even if I did. There's Facism for you. Also, members have no say at all who they donate or contribute money to, they do that all on their own. I like how you think you know everything about other people's situations, but you couldn't be more wrong.
Nope your not being forced to work for you a union. You can find another job that isn't union and walah!! no union dues. But I'm sure you enjoy the higher wages that you get because you work for a union shop so its a better option to stay in the union and whine on message boards than to find another job.

Old 03-10-2011, 05:17 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,077,728 times
Quote:
How do you figure? How much of that money wasn't from public sector unions? If it's from public sector unions, it doesn't count because that money either came directly from taxpayer revenue or it came from union dues involuntarily withheld from union rank and file paychecks. So more like Jill61 = pwned
Exactly! That was my first thought.

Old 03-10-2011, 05:50 PM

3,857 posts, read 6,936,289 times
Don't over-estimate labor's contributions to the Democrats - the Democrats still outraised the Republicans even if you exclude labor contributions

Business-Labor-Ideology Split in PAC & Individual Donations to Candidates and Parties | OpenSecrets

Percent of contributions by source 2010

Democrats
72% Business $644,454,645
7% Labor $64,948,360
9% Ideological $80,128,741
12% Other $104,438,877
100% Total $893,970,623

Republicans
80% Business $622,395,550
1% Labor $4,434,922
7% Ideological $53,684,601
13% Other $99,418,374
100% Total $779,933,447
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies