U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 05:08 PM

694 posts, read 649,456 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by miyu View Post
When I see people who make a lot of money doing real work that helps society, I am happy for them.

When I see greedy, pompous people make a lot of money off scamming others, financial trickery, and not pulling their equal weight in society while pulling in the dough, I think they do not deserve it.
What do you call "not pulling their equal weight"? I know many people who just go to work and come home. They do virtually nothing.

Charles Sands
Smyrna, TN
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2011, 10:45 PM

2,210 posts, read 1,598,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Recovering Democrat View Post
We can't seem to agree on healthcare, so lets try education . . .

Many magazines publish an annual list of "The Best Colleges in America." Many of the same schools appear on the list year after year. You know who they are.

Does everyone have a right to attend one of these schools?
So for K-12 it should be the same? Price points and children going to poor schools because of conditions they had no control of. Sounds like a winning nation.

So let me get this straight, children who are born into poor families should have substandard medical care and education and thus try to get out of poverty with less opportunities and poorer health. Wow.

Old 03-10-2011, 10:47 PM

2,210 posts, read 1,598,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
And the fact you can't afford healthcare or education is my problem?
Well actually, yes. It means that we loose our overall competitive advantage if we have large swaths of uneducated people and people too sick to work.

It decreases our productivity and means we loose economically in the long run.

Old 03-10-2011, 11:12 PM

9,857 posts, read 7,067,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanora1 View Post
Maybe because many of us work for them?

I work part-time for Company X. The head of Company X has given me a lousy 3% raise in five years. Meanwhile CEO Slimeball has lost contracts left and right and been sued for incompetence. He's also increased his own pay by a fifth to over a million a year.

Most Americans have seen their wages remain flat and even fall relative to inflation while prices for items like food, shelter and college tuition have increased hugely. In the meantime pay rates for the very top percentiles have soared.

Many of us are sick of it. I personally resent paying 33% on my income while the hedge fund manager pays a mere 15% on an income orders of magnitude greater.

Why is that so hard to understand? Treat people poorly and they will hate you.
The tax code dictates that kind of behavior. I think the 15% is if you keep the investment for two years or more. The rate was 20% and the same 15% the same way is something you can participate in. Don't fault others from success in what you don't seem to want to do.

The very top percentages that made money were the bosses paying tons of salaries, and making great choices that caused the business to turn a profit.

Instead of being mad at them, copy what they do right.

Old 03-10-2011, 11:18 PM

9,857 posts, read 7,067,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calibro1 View Post
So for K-12 it should be the same? Price points and children going to poor schools because of conditions they had no control of. Sounds like a winning nation.

So let me get this straight, children who are born into poor families should have substandard medical care and education and thus try to get out of poverty with less opportunities and poorer health. Wow.
My wife pays $700 a month for her insurance and should get far superior care IMO to the person who has the taxpayer paying for their health care.

Also it is a known fact that poor people often have a horrible diet leading to bad health that often requires more medical care.
For some reason when broke they seem to pop out more kids. Is it the social programs enabling this?

The children flunking out from schools suffer their parents. They don't often enough bring their kids to school with the ability to participate, sit, listen, do homework or study.
See a bad student, look to the parents.

Old 03-11-2011, 07:16 AM

5,945 posts, read 4,895,876 times
Lightbulb Why are many bothered by well-off people?

A much better question:

Why are radical right wingers trying to portray those with $250,000/year incomes as "not that well off" while pointing their fingers at teachers with $45,000/year incomes as "the problem?"

Jon Stewart Calls Out Fox News' Hypocrisy Comparing Teachers, Wall Street (VIDEO)

Old 03-11-2011, 07:31 AM

24,843 posts, read 32,566,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Bedford View Post
The scammers are never rich and they are usually caught. There is no conspiracy of financial trickery in our society by the rich. It's easy to get money once you have it. The layabouts collecting unemployment and welfare are the problem of society.
I agree once you have money it is easy to get more.

Now that I can afford what I want, many things are given to us by companies wanting to see their product being used.

My best example is the hunting and fishing equipment my hubby uses.

Companies want him to be seen in thier boat, using their bow, wearing their gear.

Old 03-11-2011, 07:33 AM

31,777 posts, read 25,032,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
And the fact you can't afford healthcare or education is my problem?
Now only if you could look farther than self, you wouldn't be asking such questions.

Old 03-11-2011, 07:35 AM

31,777 posts, read 25,032,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wade52 View Post
A much better question:
Why are radical right wingers trying to portray those with $250,000/year incomes as "not that well off" while pointing their fingers at teachers with $45,000/year incomes as "the problem?"
Two possibilities: Brainwashed or Braindead.

Old 03-11-2011, 08:13 AM

24,843 posts, read 32,566,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Now only if you could look farther than self, you wouldn't be asking such questions.
Wouldn't it be better if we all looked after ourselves???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or