Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 11:09 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,175,777 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
I guess I am living in a different world then because nothing you claim is true in any job I've ever found nor anyone I know...
Not a different world, but a non-existent one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2011, 11:15 PM

1,869 posts, read 1,092,387 times
Quote:
A few posts up you claimed to have gotten out of college 25 years ago which I assume means you have a college degree. In the 25 years that you've been out of college how many different jobs have you had and have you ever negotiated the terms of your employment with your new employer?

Seriously, I don't want to pry but what on earth do you guys do when it comes time to find a job?
I have asked for and gotten a small percentage above the base salary offered a few times simply because I had unique experience and training but never more than that. Absolutely NO NEGOTIATING FOR BENEFITS or anything else. Sometimes people doing the hiring for businesses or govt may have a tiny bit of wiggle room on the base salary offered, but very little. I have been a member of interview panels for govt jobs.......in other words, I had a say in whether or not the applicant was hired........and in those instances I never ran into anyone asking for more money, or different benefits, or anything other than what was offered in the job advertisement. Those people interviewing (and these were professional positions) just wanted the job and were thrilled to get it at whatever we offered!

Sounds like you and your friends may have worked for very small mom and pop businesses where you might actually have the opportunity to talk to the business owner/owners when applying for jobs?

Old 03-09-2011, 11:30 PM

9,949 posts, read 8,848,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perlier View Post
I have asked for and gotten a small percentage above the base salary offered a few times simply because I had unique experience and training but never more than that. Absolutely NO NEGOTIATING FOR BENEFITS or anything else. Sometimes people doing the hiring for businesses or govt may have a tiny bit of wiggle room on the base salary offered, but very little. I have been a member of interview panels for govt jobs.......in other words, I had a say in whether or not the applicant was hired........and in those instances I never ran into anyone asking for more money, or different benefits, or anything other than what was offered in the job advertisement. Those people interviewing (and these were professional positions) just wanted the job and were thrilled to get it at whatever we offered!

Sounds like you and your friends may have worked for very small mom and pop businesses where you might actually have the opportunity to talk to the business owner/owners when applying for jobs?
So basically you have negotiated for higher pay directly with employers more than once and you're still claiming that NOBODY gets to do that. I'm not one to jump from job to job quickly, how many jobs have you held in 25 years? Also, what other than salary could a person negotiate for? I've gotten additional vacation time over what was originally offered during the hiring process, I've also negotiated down to a 30 day period from a 90 period before health benefits kicked in. What more would a person want to negotiate during initial hiring?

Old 03-09-2011, 11:47 PM

Quote:
So basically you have negotiated for higher pay directly with employers more than once and you're still claiming that NOBODY gets to do that. I'm not one to jump from job to job quickly, how many jobs have you held in 25 years? Also, what other than salary could a person negotiate for? I've gotten additional vacation time over what was originally offered during the hiring process, I've also negotiated down to a 30 day period from a 90 period before health benefits kicked in. What more would a person want to negotiate during initial hiring?

Never had any job applicants ask for any "special perks" when applying for the jobs.........nobody tried to get vacation time changed or added to, nobody tried to have less time on probation when first hired, nobody tried to negotiate about anything regarding healthcare benefits or retirement benefits, and in my experience they didn't ask for more money than was offered in the job ad. There have been many posting on CD who claim to have negotiated everything from salary to healthcare benefits, to parking spaces, to wanting to work different hours from other employees, etc. Especially nurses have made those claims.....but then other nurses say that's not typical and highly unlikely.

Last edited by Perlier; 03-09-2011 at 11:55 PM.. Reason: too much information

Old 03-09-2011, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Never had any job applicants ask for any "special perks" when applying for the jobs.........nobody tried to get vacation time changed or added to, nobody tried to have less time on probation when first hired, nobody tried to negotiate about anything regarding healthcare benefits or retirement benefits, and in my experience they didn't ask for more money than was offered in the job ad. There have been many posting on CD who claim to have negotiated everything from salary to healthcare benefits, to parking spaces, to wanting to work different hours from other employees, etc. Especially nurses have made those claims.....but then other nurses say that's not typical and highly unlikely.
You're talking about when you were doing the hiring or working for the employer doing the hiring, We're talking about when YOU were trying to get a job.

Old 03-10-2011, 01:20 AM

Quote:
You're talking about when you were doing the hiring or working for the employer doing the hiring, We're talking about when YOU were trying to get a job.
I've never had any trouble getting a job. What are you talking about?

Old 03-10-2011, 02:32 AM

Quote:
I've never had any trouble getting a job. What are you talking about?
Quote:
Read back to my question to you which you didn't answer. You already told us that you've negotiated your salary UP on more than one occasion on your own with your new employer but you still claim that people don't do that...

Other than negotiating for higher pay upon being hired what else would a person conceivably want to negotiate? In all my years you really have no leverage to negotiate until you've proven you're worth your salary which usually means working for a year or more. Why should an employer negotiate on all sorts of things with someone they haven't even hired yet?

The entire basis of this conversation is about labor unions, they do nothing but force employers to do things they otherwise wouldn't do... sometimes that might be safety issues but there are laws that dictate that so unions aren't actually needed for that. Sometimes it's labor law disputes... but there are laws that dictate every bit of that so labor unions aren't needed for that either. Sometimes it's forcing the employer to pay an employee more than they're actually worth before the employer even knows if the person is right for the position or not then once they're in the unions make it impossible to get rid of the person no matter how bad things go. The only people who benefit from labor unions are union bosses and union members but in a situation like WI the people who lose are the tax payers, all of them. They're being forced to pay the bill for all this BS that would otherwise go on in a private business which would eventually go out of business if it couldn't afford the additional costs that unions add... but in this case the state of WI can't go out of business, they just continue to run higher and higher deficits which have to be paid back. That can only be paid back one way since the state of WI isn't a private business and it doesn't make money.

Old 03-10-2011, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Read back to my question to you which you didn't answer. You already told us that you've negotiated your salary UP on more than one occasion on your own with your new employer but you still claim that people don't do that...

Other than negotiating for higher pay upon being hired what else would a person conceivably want to negotiate? In all my years you really have no leverage to negotiate until you've proven you're worth your salary which usually means working for a year or more. Why should an employer negotiate on all sorts of things with someone they haven't even hired yet?

The entire basis of this conversation is about labor unions, they do nothing but force employers to do things they otherwise wouldn't do... sometimes that might be safety issues but there are laws that dictate that so unions aren't actually needed for that. Sometimes it's labor law disputes... but there are laws that dictate every bit of that so labor unions aren't needed for that either. Sometimes it's forcing the employer to pay an employee more than they're actually worth before the employer even knows if the person is right for the position or not then once they're in the unions make it impossible to get rid of the person no matter how bad things go. The only people who benefit from labor unions are union bosses and union members but in a situation like WI the people who lose are the tax payers, all of them. They're being forced to pay the bill for all this BS that would otherwise go on in a private business which would eventually go out of business if it couldn't afford the additional costs that unions add... but in this case the state of WI can't go out of business, they just continue to run higher and higher deficits which have to be paid back. That can only be paid back one way since the state of WI isn't a private business and it doesn't make money.
As for the bolded part of your post, I agree with you. And that has been my experience. However, there have been a number of conservatives on this board who have insisted that they and all their friends have always negotiated for some, all, or even MORE than the things mentioned when they were hired for jobs, and that is their normal practice. I don't agree that that is the normal practice for every employee in the country; in fact, I think it's very rare that applicants negotiate even for salary, and even more unusual for applicants to try to negotiate for any change in benefits.

As for personal information about myself, I've disclosed all I intend to disclose. I've had more than one job during my career. I don't think that's at all unusual. People don't go to work for one company and stay there for 20 or 30 years anymore.

I disagree with your analysis of what's happening to the people of WI. It's clear from the governor's actions that "deficits" and the budget had NOTHING to do with why he took the actions he did regarding collective bargaining. The real purpose, IMO, is to destroy the unions because of their political power. It certainly seems more than obvious that the Koches and other controllers of the Republican Party are taking aim at the unions and the working class so that they will have no opposition in running this country.

Last edited by CaseyB; 03-10-2011 at 07:20 AM.. Reason: discuss the thread topic, not individuals
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies