Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 06:47 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,391,755 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Yeah, yeah I am sure the passions will be exactly the same in 2 years. Also what platform are the Dems going to run on? We will restore collective bargaining for 10% of the population and all it will cost you is $1.4 billion!
Your indomitable confidence that, despite the lack of information, this will not only avoid/survive a legal challenge, but that it will be resolved in less then 2 years is....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2011, 07:09 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,750,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
Your indomitable confidence that, despite the lack of information, this will not only avoid/survive a legal challenge, but that it will be resolved in less then 2 years is....

I have invited you, on several occasions, to provide me with evidence that a challenge would have a serious chance. In my research, the Sunshine law issue is the best chance and that is very low and easily remedied. You can grasp to a slim reed if you like but there is zero chance a challenge will work.

Old 03-10-2011, 07:16 PM

Quote:
I have invited you, on several occasions, to provide me with evidence that a challenge would have a serious chance. In my research, the Sunshine law issue is the best chance and that is very low and easily remedied. You can grasp to a slim reed if you like but there is zero chance a challenge will work.
Sun shine laws are the best chance? Oh, really? Are you a legal scholar? And if so did your 'research' involve looking at the bill, considering each section, and looking at previous cases related to that section of the state constitution to see if there were any decisions related to this matter, or if any important terms had been specifically defined by a court or the legislature?

For the nth time. I do not have enough information to know either way, and I am pretty sure you don't either, therefore it is silly to suggest one outcome or another. E.g. saying this will be in effect in 2 years.

Old 03-10-2011, 07:26 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,940,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
Yes, not just in WI, but in other states as well.

I still can't understand how leftists can be FOR employees FORCED to join a union and FORCED to pay dues.

I know, the unions say this will fired their members up for 2012, will fire the democrats and left up for 2012......outside of WI, did you see any massive protests? NO.

I think many, many current union members will be relieved they are no longer enslaved by the union machine.

Old 03-10-2011, 07:38 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,550,845 times
Quote:
React all you like. We are a land of laws, not a banana republic. We don't run the country by mob rule. There is nothing you can do.
Apperantly the WI senate republicans and Walker believe they can rule like a mob.

Old 03-10-2011, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
Apperantly the WI senate republicans and Walker believe they can rule like a mob.

Not exactly. You see, in our form of government, we elect folks to represent us. They in turn write bills and present them for votes. Which ever side has the most votes prevails. This is the environment in which the Republicans have ruled. The Dems on the other hand do not like this arrangement since they lost the vote. So instead of using democratic processes to get their way they form a mob and try to bully the other side.

Old 03-10-2011, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Sun shine laws are the best chance? Oh, really? Are you a legal scholar? And if so did your 'research' involve looking at the bill, considering each section, and looking at previous cases related to that section of the state constitution to see if there were any decisions related to this matter, or if any important terms had been specifically defined by a court or the legislature?

For the nth time. I do not have enough information to know either way, and I am pretty sure you don't either, therefore it is silly to suggest one outcome or another. E.g. saying this will be in effect in 2 years.

LOL, oh to be young again. I assure you this law is here to stay. Much like the belicose rantings on the right how Obamacare would not move forward (and they have a much better case considering they had 2 courts agree with them), here we are a year later with the law moving forward.

Old 03-10-2011, 07:59 PM

Quote:
LOL, oh to be young again. I assure you this law is here to stay. Much like the belicose rantings on the right how Obamacare would not move forward (and they have a much better case considering they had 2 courts agree with them), here we are a year later with the law moving forward.
Yeah that's me, young and naive for suggesting it is not really possible to know the outcome of potential looming legal challenges.

As to 'Obamacare' I am not sure on that one either.

It is silly to speculate on future legal challenges unless you know a judge has previously wed themselves to a particular doctrine and even there you are only mostly right.

Old 03-10-2011, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Yeah that's me, young and naive for suggesting it is not really possible to know the outcome of potential looming legal challenges.

As to 'Obamacare' I am not sure on that one either.

It is silly to speculate on future legal challenges unless you know a judge has previously wed themselves to a particular doctrine and even there you are only mostly right.

You are missing the point. The right was sure their court challenges would stop Obamacare. It hasn't, not to say it won't but good chunks will be implimented by the time anything happens making it difficult to reverse. There is no way this thing will be reversed legally. But even indulging in your fantasy it would be the law of the land for at least years. Now the Dems will have to tell the people this will cost you $1.4 billion to overturn.

Plus there is no "looming" challenge here.

Old 03-10-2011, 08:22 PM

Quote:
You are missing the point. The right was sure their court challenges would stop Obamacare. It hasn't, not to say it won't but good chunks will be implimented by the time anything happens making it difficult to reverse. There is no way this thing will be reversed legally. But even indulging in your fantasy it would be the law of the land for at least years. Now the Dems will have to tell the people this will cost you $1.4 billion to overturn.

Plus there is no "looming" challenge here.
See I don't get how you can say that with certainty. If a court challenge happens and there is a preliminary injunction then it will not be the law of the land...it will be enjoined, similar to what happened with the AZ immigration law. That is just one possibility, but I would not rule it out before any of the action starts if Democrats choose to sue.

With 'Obamacare' the judge stayed his own ruling to expedite the appeals process which is why certain parts of the law are still in effect.

Last edited by Randomstudent; 03-10-2011 at 08:33 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies