Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 12:31 PM

17,401 posts, read 11,973,897 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MORebelWoman View Post
Except that the number is seriously skewed. I say that because what is considered poor in this nation is not poor by any stretch. When people own cell phones, televisions, dvrs and numerous other non-essential items, and add to that cable and internet connection...then the people are not truly poor. They may make less than others do but they are not poor.
Kind of like the woman with 2 children in front of me at the grocery store a few weeks ago. Whipped out her food stamps while she and her 2 kids yakked on their smart phones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2011, 12:37 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,947,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Kind of like the woman with 2 children in front of me at the grocery store a few weeks ago. Whipped out her food stamps while she and her 2 kids yakked on their smart phones.
Of course, that's small potatoes compared to GE earning $5.1 billion in the U.S. and paying no taxes.

Old 04-26-2011, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
Of course, that's small potatoes compared to GE earning $5.1 billion in the U.S. and paying no taxes.
They paid no taxes because of green write offs. It's disgusting that they didn't pay. But what do you expect - they're friends of Obama.

Old 04-26-2011, 12:57 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,947,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
They paid no taxes because of green write offs. It's disgusting that they didn't pay. But what do you expect - they're friends of Obama.
GE didn't pay taxes when Bush was Prez., so that's not quite the explanation. Actually, this is:
Quote:
Its extraordinary success is based on an aggressive strategy that mixes fierce lobbying for tax breaks and innovative accounting that enables it to concentrate its profits offshore. G.E.’s giant tax department, led by a bow-tied former Treasury official named John Samuels, is often referred to as the world’s best tax law firm.
In a regulatory filing just a week before the Japanese disaster put a spotlight on the company’s nuclear reactor business, G.E. reported that its tax burden was 7.4 percent of its American profits, about a third of the average reported by other American multinationals. Even those figures are overstated, because they include taxes that will be paid only if the company brings its overseas profits back to the United States. With those profits still offshore, G.E. is effectively getting money back.

Such strategies, as well as changes in tax laws that encouraged some businesses and professionals to file as individuals, have pushed down the corporate share of the nation’s tax receipts — from 30 percent of all federal revenue in the mid-1950s to 6.6 percent in 2009.
I'm just saying that if we plug the big holes, we the daughter with the cell phone isn't really significant.

Old 04-26-2011, 01:17 PM

4,866 posts, read 5,678,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerby View Post
Where is the pride? If just a portion of these were willing to do manual labor there would be no jobs available here thus no immigrants.. But lets blame those who come here to pick our food, and mow our lawns, and clean our hotel rooms while we give a free pass for the lazy trash that live amongst us.
Is this a joke? I work PART-TIME because I have no choice. I lost my FULL-TIME job. I was not a good asset apparently. I don't speak Spanish and the company sadly caters to illegal aliens.

My boyfriend lost his FULL-TIME construction job because the company wanted to hire more illegal aliens to replace him and the other 3 people they let go. He gets unemployment...sure! $134 a week for the next 10 weeks.

We're going to start receiving food stamps in a couple weeks. A whooping $130 monthly!

So are we both lazy?! I am 33 weeks pregnant. I have a high risk pregnancy and my doctor put me on bed rest...but I chose to work instead of living off handouts.

I would KILL to have a full-time job right now. So would he. My monthly paycheck is enough to cover our rent.

I am so sick of people assuming that all of those who rely on the government are a bunch of lazy POS. Have you stopped to think that maybe, just maybe a lot of those folks have hit rock bottom after losing a job and they have a family of 3 to feed?

We had a great income before all of these things happen. We made a little over 6 grand a month combined.

Now here we are.

I am not sorry for collecting food stamps. I paid into the system and I really need it now.

If these so-called hard workers you so fervently defend were not invading this land, chances are my boyfriend would still have a job... And I am sure I would still have mine because the only "skill" I lack is not knowing Spanish. It doesn't matter that I speak French and Portuguese.

Old 04-26-2011, 01:20 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Quote:
And you can thank YOUR government for letting them do that.

Old 04-26-2011, 01:39 PM

3,566 posts, read 3,732,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bc42gb43 View Post
I don't blame those who come wanting a better life for themselves and their families, I blame those unscrupulous employers who are willing to hire them at sub-minimum wage, paid under the table with and enjoy none of the benefits and security that citizens are entitled to.

It's not that those on food stamps are necessarily unwilling to perform manual labor, they're just not able to do it on the terms that many of the employers of manual laborers demand. If we stiffly penalized those who knowingly or recklessly hire undocumented immigrants, that would change in a hurry.
I don't necessarily disagree with you. But the issue you raise is a little more complex than you may imagine. Employers who knowingly hire illegals should be prosecuted. But how are they to know their employee is illegal if he has all the necessary documentation to show that he is here lawfully? The federal government set up a program called 'E-Verify' whereby employers could verify that a social security number was valid and belonged to the person presenting it. But guess what? Liberals attacked the program as discriminatory against Hispanics. I don't know the current fate of "E-Verify' but as is usually the case it's liberals throwing up roadblocks to any proposed solution to illegal immigration.

Old 04-26-2011, 01:45 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMe View Post
I don't necessarily disagree with you. But the issue you raise is a little more complex than you may imagine. Employers who knowingly hire illegals should be prosecuted. But how are they to know their employee is illegal if he has all the necessary documentation to show that he is here lawfully? The federal government set up a program called 'E-Verify' whereby employers could verify that a social security number was valid and belonged to the person presenting it. But guess what? Liberals attacked the program as discriminatory against Hispanics. I don't know the current fate of "E-Verify' but as is usually the case it's liberals throwing up roadblocks to any proposed solution to illegal immigration.
How can we even do that. States are allowed to let "illegals" go to school and receive an education.
CA is even going to let them apply for state aid.

How can the USG do anything regarding illegals when we have such two-faced programs and rules ?

How can you allow them on one hand (public education) and not allow them on the other hand (private employment) ?

There has to be a consistent law regarding illegals.

Old 04-26-2011, 01:47 PM

Quote:
GE didn't pay taxes when Bush was Prez., so that's not quite the explanation. Actually, this is:
I'm just saying that if we plug the big holes, we the daughter with the cell phone isn't really significant.
But every bit helps. All those food stamps add up. But I know you lefties love to attack big business.

Old 04-26-2011, 03:29 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,695,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
How can we even do that. States are allowed to let "illegals" go to school and receive an education.
CA is even going to let them apply for state aid.

How can the USG do anything regarding illegals when we have such two-faced programs and rules ?

How can you allow them on one hand (public education) and not allow them on the other hand (private employment) ?

There has to be a consistent law regarding illegals.
There is a consistent Federal Law, but how many jurisdictions ignore it.
Every one with a poultry processing plant, meat packing plant, or other factory that employs thousands of illegals.
As for illegals attending school it happens but they are caught. I know our district sat outside the schools and watched who was getting out of any vehicle with Sonora Tags.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies