Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2011, 11:53 AM

45,226 posts, read 26,443,162 times

Advertisements

The state has done such a fine job with AMTRAK, lets reward the failure with hundreds of billions of dollars more so they may duplicate the fail on a much grander scale.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2011, 11:55 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,818,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I guess those who think like you don't realize that electricity is needed to get what the Japanese and French have and that means some heavy construction of those lines, also.
Amount of energy needed for that is far less per capita than it is via road and air transport. And that is a fact. And that is why countries that want to reduce reliance on oil, reduce imports and reduce their costs, have continuously pushed for and developed their rail infrastructure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
The state has done such a fine job with AMTRAK, lets reward the failure with hundreds of billions of dollars more so they may duplicate the fail on a much grander scale.
You rarely have a point and here you do! We would need to get those with self-defeating attitude out of governing positions first.

Old 03-11-2011, 11:58 AM

787 posts, read 1,414,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Because they can see that it nohing but a losig propostion and antoher entitlement spending liabilty we can't afford. Loo at Amtrak as a example. They are nothig but a business failure and would collpase if not heavily subsidesed to the extent of 1 bilion poer year. If you ewaqnt High speed rail then look for ihnvestment spending. No one is interested in investing i ti when sirline repalced it long ago . Its expensive form of travel and with no zonic boobmb jets coing even mroe outmded as a means of transproting people than ever really.The only rial is light rail that staes are into which comes from cities spport to stop the outflow of industry to the sub-burbs following their workers.Even thse are runig into fiancing problems with budgtes and not much fedrl assistance comig in the future.
I'm sorry, but your argument is lost in the amazing amount of typographical errors...

Please slow down your typing and notice the spell check function. It's hard to read your post, let alone take seriously the point you're trying to make.

Old 03-11-2011, 12:01 PM

6,940 posts, read 9,679,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inahandbasket View Post
I'm sorry, but your argument is lost in the amazing amount of typographical errors...

Please slow down your typing and notice the spell check function. It's hard to read your post, let alone take seriously the point you're trying to make.
I think the poster is dyslexic.

Old 03-11-2011, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Amount of energy needed for that is far less per capita than it is via road and air transport. And that is a fact. And that is why countries that want to reduce reliance on oil, reduce imports and reduce their costs, have continuously pushed for and developed their rail infrastructure.

You rarely have a point and here you do! We would need to get those with self-defeating attitude out of governing positions first.
Yeah, It's not that the state mechanism is inherently inefficient, ineffective, corrupt, blah blah blah... It's just that we don't have the right people in place.lol
Spoken like a true gov can fix it progressive.

Old 03-11-2011, 12:10 PM

5,915 posts, read 4,813,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderful Jellal View Post
Obama should pass a "Liberal Tax".You tax Liberal Taxpayers and Unions to create HSR networks in each liberal area.Why not ?
Exactly! Why should the entire country pay for a project that will benefit a a relatively small region?
For instance the Dwight Eisenhower national system of interstate and defense highways has benefited the entire country.

Old 03-11-2011, 12:14 PM

573 posts, read 971,014 times
It seems to me that light rails would benefit rural areas as well, enabling people to go to a shopping mall or some entertainment event without using their cars for the entire journey.

I don't know about you but the fact of driving to a place like a shopping mall gives me the creeps, especially when I know that there will be many creeps on the road who think the highway was constructed just for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirdik View Post
Exactly! Why should the entire country pay for a project that will benefit a a relatively small region?
For instance the Dwight Eisenhower national system of interstate and defense highways has benefited the entire country.
Highways only benefit people who can drive, has access to a car and can actually afford it. Last time I checked, that wasn't the entire country.

Old 03-11-2011, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirdik View Post
The only time a liberal cares about a collective,is when it comes to collecting it's money

Old 03-11-2011, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebri View Post
It seems to me that light rails would benefit rural areas as well, enabling people to go to a shopping mall or some entertainment event without using their cars for the entire journey.

I don't know about you but the fact of driving to a place like a shopping mall gives me the creeps, especially when I know that there will be many creeps on the road who think the highway was constructed just for them.
Your post would indicate you aren't yet old enough to drive.

Old 03-11-2011, 12:19 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,818,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Yeah, It's not that the state mechanism is inherently inefficient, ineffective, corrupt, blah blah blah... It's just that we don't have the right people in place.lol
Spoken like a true gov can fix it progressive.
Actually, I believe in government as much as the founders did. It is a necessary evil. Evil in the sense that it can put incompetents into positions they don't think can work. This is where a government fails. A private enterprise would be smart to not hire people who think they can't get things done right. In government, well, we've stupid people supporting self-serving ones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies