Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2011, 08:57 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,504,642 times

Advertisements

Japanese culture has a strong sense of honor and shame. This is why there isn't rioting and also why disgraced business executives and politicians often commit hara-kiri to atone for their deeds. (The ancient Romans had a similar sense of values.) If America had Japanese values, there would've been more Wall Street suicides in the last 2 years than there were in 1929 and 1930. I suspect many of our leaders would also have committed hara-kiri.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2011, 08:58 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,385,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
you said desperate measures in desperate times. that sounded like you were justifying crimes as an act of desperation.
You misinterpreted my post. Bet that's never happened to you before.

Old 03-11-2011, 09:00 PM

6,125 posts, read 7,453,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pommysmommy View Post
Yes, but they are two natural disasters that happened in tandem. There were bodies laying in plain view. Do you think people in the US would loot and riot with dead bodies laying in the street?
Yes!

Old 03-11-2011, 09:00 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,529,027 times
Quote:
You misinterpreted my post. Bet that's never happened to you before.
not through any fault of mine. its not my fault if people dont write clearly.

Old 03-11-2011, 09:05 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,459,859 times
Quote:
Originally posted by pommysmommy
Yes, but they are two natural disasters that happened in tandem. There were bodies laying in plain view. Do you think people in the US would loot and riot with dead bodies laying in the street?
Unfortunately, yes. Not all of us, mind you, but out of 300 mil, plenty would.

To answer the OP, the answer is because the Japanese have a strong sense of honor and shame. Committing a crime against your neighbor and community is disgraceful. IMO, the U.S. could learn from that idea. (without the suicides, though)

Old 03-11-2011, 09:07 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RVHDlPqZWE

Who do you see looting?

Old 03-11-2011, 09:11 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,415,032 times
Quote:

Are you attempting to compare Hurricane Katrina to an earthquake and tsunami?
Not only that, they're attempting to compare what's happening in the immediate aftermath of the tsunami to what started happening after days without resources or rescue, by people who were literally trapped and starving in New Orleans.

Not to mention, they're begin disgracefully racist, considering that white people were "looting", or as they said, "finding" food, too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post

i think the ones who loot and victimize people in times of tragedy would do it. like the other guy said above, they did. there were plenty of dead bodies floating around when katrina hit.
I think if you were trapped without food or water and no assistance or rescue, you'd resort to taking what you needed to survive, too. I would, and I wouldn't feel an ounce of remorse. I'm not going to die for the sake of some misguided moral authority.

Old 03-11-2011, 09:12 PM

3,282 posts, read 5,187,490 times
Because they have the money and infrastructure to respond to natural disasters and provide effective relief? Which, I might add, comes from being hit by earthquakes year round. Their government doesn't sit on its thumbs while people float through the streets.

Sorry, is that explanation not politically incorrect enough?

Old 03-11-2011, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
Not only that, they're attempting to compare what's happening in the immediate aftermath of the tsunami to what started happening after days without resources or rescue, by people who were literally trapped and starving in New Orleans.

Not to mention, they're begin disgracefully racist, considering that white people were "looting", or as they said, "finding" food, too. I think if you were trapped without food or water and no assistance or rescue, you'd resort to taking what you needed to survive, too. I would, and I wouldn't feel an ounce of remorse. I'm not going to die for the sake of some misguided moral authority.
You think looting (STEALING) televisions, stereos, electronics, athletic shoes, clothing, pharmacy drugs, alcohol, etc. was necessary to survive? How about mugging people? How about raping? Look at the people that did all that. End of story...

Old 03-11-2011, 09:14 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,529,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
I think if you were trapped without food or water and no assistance or rescue, you'd resort to taking what you needed to survive, too. I would, and I wouldn't feel an ounce of remorse. I'm not going to die for the sake of some misguided moral authority.
is that what we are talking about? seriously, we know that the crime wasnt limited to people stealing necessities. im sure the people didnt need to steal electronics, alcohol, etc. and to rape women.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies