Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 12:10 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,271,474 times

Advertisements

Did someone force the US to borrow money?
Don't you complain when someone loses their mortgage and the govt wants to bail them out?

Then you turn around and want the country to do what you disagree with on a local level... Curiouser and curiouser.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2011, 12:16 AM

33,524 posts, read 37,121,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHartphotog View Post
Unfortunately, the American taxpayer must pay interest on all the money our politicians borrow, as they exceed $14 trillion in federal debt. In 2010 families like mine got to pay even more income taxes to cover the $413,954,825,362.17 in interest payments.

Funny how the nations that hold this debt, like Japan, won't be waiving those interest payments from us because "some things transcend money."
Some how you think the US debt is Japans fault? They are simply letting the US run a "tab".

For foreign investors like China and Japan, the U.S. is such a large customer it is allowed to run a huge tab so it will keep buying exports. (Source: CIA World Factbook)

Old 03-14-2011, 01:29 AM

5,513 posts, read 5,238,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Some how you think the US debt is Japans fault? They are simply letting the US run a "tab".

For foreign investors like China and Japan, the U.S. is such a large customer it is allowed to run a huge tab so it will keep buying exports. (Source: CIA World Factbook)
No, I don't think it's Japan's fault. It's the fault of the traitorous criminals in Washington.

But given their overspending and the mess our nation is in, we can't afford to be giving away any more money or services.

Old 03-14-2011, 04:37 AM

5,450 posts, read 8,759,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmateo View Post
Not even a close comparison. What is happening in NJ is horrible, (and by the way, they will get federal aid) but in Sendai the entire city was wiped away in a matter of seconds. THe earthquake was bad, but the Tsunami litterally wiped everything out. No infrastructure at all. No food, no power, no gas to get away. I can't even imagine it. I watched the news as mothers held their children as they watched their ENTIRE CITY get washed away together. Imgine watching your home burn with child in your arms, and then multiply that by 10000 as you also watch all your family, neighbors, friends, hospitals, food supplies, churches and synagogues, and every other form of support go away in a blink.

That simply did not happen in NJ (not to minimalize it for those who lost everything, but at least they have somewhere to go!)

Anyone who can ask that question does not have a soul. (And were probably the type of person who was watching Mike Huckabee do a fluff piece on Fox News about Ronald Reagan, while the other news orgs were reporting the truth about this horrible tragedy!!!)

Unbelievable!!!!

As someone that has gone through natural disasters, you are deluding yourself if you think they will get federal aid...

Maybe I don't have a soul..... I think we as Americans are pretty heartless when it comes to our own people. Once again, people are still suffering from Katrina!

Last edited by Jerseyt719; 03-14-2011 at 04:37 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 03-14-2011, 05:43 AM

Furthermore, what is unbelievable is that we simply hand over money to foreign countries, while our own suffer.

You do not have a soul if you think that is ok.... But wait, they have somewhere to go right?? And how do you know this? There are shelters in Japan as well.

Old 03-14-2011, 05:59 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,271,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyt719 View Post
Furthermore, what is unbelievable is that we simply hand over money to foreign countries, while our own suffer.

You do not have a soul if you think that is ok.... But wait, they have somewhere to go right?? And how do you know this? There are shelters in Japan as well.
Aren't you one of the ones against health care for all US citizens; don't you want to stop welfare and education for all.

Hypocrisy much?

Old 03-14-2011, 06:09 AM

1,324 posts, read 1,197,923 times
You will sooner see me on Vacation in Japan than in Chicago Illinois . So If my money is going to needy people that I don't know , let the Japanese have some .

Old 03-14-2011, 06:46 AM

2,218 posts, read 3,451,672 times
I read the title of this thread with disbelief!! Could someone truly be serious in proposing that we bill Japan for our assistance? It is astonishing to me that anyone could even think of something like this while Japan is experiencing perhaps their biggest disaster in history. It is their own Armaggdon. Many there have lost everything, their homes, their jobs, their belongings...but more importantly, their families. Part of their country lays in ruin.

Japan is one of our most important allies. Is this how we treat our friends?

The Japanese people are proud and self reliant, but in these dire circumstances they could use our assistance. They are industrious and will rebuild much faster than other nations where disasters have occured. (Hati! where the millions that were donated often landed in the hands of dishonest government officials)

I say YES to assisting Japan. It is not as if somehow our government has to choose...hmm, should we help Japan or should we immediately spend money on our people...homless, drug addicts, etc. It is not an either/or situation.

Old 03-14-2011, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Aren't you one of the ones against health care for all US citizens; don't you want to stop welfare and education for all.

Hypocrisy much?

Look, your posts are WAAAAAY beyond liberal. I'm sure you are one of those that think we should just support others, but to hell with our own citizens in the same situations, right? Talk about hypocrisy????

No I do not want to stop welfare and education for all. I do think that there need to be reforms to education (including privatizing) AND welfare should be extremely temporary, not a way of life as it is currently being used. Yes, I am totally against MY paying for healthcare for others. I take care of my own and expect others to do the same.

As far as natural disasters, things beyond one's control, either we give money and relief to our own citizens for these things or to no one. We don't give $ to our own in those situations and I am completely against giving $ to other countries for theirs.

Old 03-14-2011, 07:37 AM

11,431 posts, read 18,993,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
It is pretty well-known that many members cut deals with perhaps 10-20 other member/friends to rep every post the others make. In this way, you will see members with the exact number of posts as mine but they will have like 20,000/30,000 reps.
How do you know this? It's just a forum. Nobody wins prizes or $$ based on rep points. I take back some of what I said about aiding Japan. They are in dire need. I have a tremendous respect for the Japanese people. Our gov't should extend them ships, first aid teams, etc, but let's not offer them or ANY other country too much $$ that we can ill afford at this time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies