Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2011, 05:10 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,345,799 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
There are many parts of the bill that I dont approve with.. Like
Temperatures must be kept between 45 and 85 degrees F.

This amounts to needing to air condition places raising dogs.. I dont even have AC.. why do you think dogs are above humans?

But I also note you havent answered the question.. HOW DO YOU PAY FOR IT!!
there are several popular breeds that are prone to heat stroke and death w/o air conditioning. bulldogs are popular w/ puppy mills since they can sell for >$1K, but they dogs can die if the heat goes above a certain temp. same things w/ pugs, shih tzus, pekes, etc. it's why airlines won't fly such dogsin the summer

and w/ your analogy, since there are people out there who don't have food, no point in people feeding dogs since that somehow puts dogs over humans .

you obviously don't give a fig for animals or their welfare. pity, as there's a lot that can be said about such people
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2011, 05:12 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Are you telling me that the market forces have failed to bring an end to this practice? The invisible hand is all thumbs?

The electorate - who also happen to be the taxpayers - have made it clear that it's a priority for them. I'm sure it's not a big surprise that it won't be free to implement.
Clearly writing laws havent ended the practice has it? So the solution is writing more laws? yes, market forces CAN end the practice.. People stopped McDonalds to change their food containers, public pressure changed fishing nets, and yes, people can end puppy mills by simply broadcasting the deplorable condition pets are kept under.. Dont think very kindly of your fellow man if you dont think they would stop doing business with bad businesses, do you?

Old 03-13-2011, 05:12 PM

46,951 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Quote:
Or even worse.. the puppy mills will cut profits and INCREASE supply in order to make up for their losses..
So you're telling me that the puppy mills could have operated with humane conditions all along, they just chose not to, to protect their profits?

And what is it that happens to prices when supply goes up? Anyone? At least the dogs will have tolerable living conditions.

Old 03-13-2011, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
there are several popular breeds that are prone to heat stroke and death w/o air conditioning. bulldogs are popular w/ puppy mills since they can sell for >$1K, but they dogs can die if the heat goes above a certain temp. same things w/ pugs, shih tzus, pekes, etc. it's why airlines won't fly such dogsin the summer
We arent discussing "several breeds", we are discussing ALL breeds..

Again, old people can also get sick from the heat, but we dont write laws forbidding humans to be in 86 degree weather, do we?
Quote:
and w/ your analogy, since there are people out there who don't have food, no point in people feeding dogs since that somehow puts dogs over humans .
I was unaware that puppy mills didnt feed their animals.. Silly me.. I thought that resulted in DEAD dogs, that cant be sold.. here you go telling me thats not true...
Quote:
you obviously don't give a fig for animals or their welfare. pity, as there's a lot that can be said about such people
You obviously feel better by simply attacking me for asking questions.. A lot of things can be said about such people as well..

Old 03-13-2011, 05:15 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,345,799 times
Quote:

two parts of the bill..
Temperatures must be kept between 45 and 85 degrees F.
Dogs would be required to have "unfettered access" to an exercise area.

So dogs must be kept in air conditioning and pretty much be allowed to roam around all hours of the day.. I have local county run animal shelters not operating under these rules..
difference is, the dogs at the county shelter aren't expected to spend their entire lives in such conditions, nor are they expected to breed, birth, and nurse puppies continuously in such conditions. dogs at a country shelter get, what, a week a most? puppy mills dogs can spend an entire lifetime w/o ever touching the ground, feeling anything other than wire beneath their feet. that's the difference.

Old 03-13-2011, 05:16 PM

Quote:
So you're telling me that the puppy mills could have operated with humane conditions all along, they just chose not to, to protect their profits?
dah ....
Quote:
And what is it that happens to prices when supply goes up? Anyone? At least the dogs will have tolerable living conditions.
Or even worse.. they sit even longer in puppy mills rather than being adopted by loving and caring homes.. Yeah, isnt that wonderful!!!

Old 03-13-2011, 05:18 PM

46,951 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Quote:
Clearly writing laws havent ended the practice has it? So the solution is writing more laws?
Going by the hand-wringing of the puppy mill industry, this will end them. Good riddance.

Quote:
yes, market forces CAN end the practice..
It's just that they've inexplicably failed so far.

Quote:
Dont think very kindly of your fellow man if you dont think they would stop doing business with bad businesses, do you?
I see bad businesses thriving every day. Would be nice if consumers and producers both would some day adopt a sense of ethics, but I'm not holding my breath.

Old 03-13-2011, 05:19 PM

Quote:
difference is, the dogs at the county shelter aren't expected to spend their entire lives in such conditions, nor are they expected to breed, birth, and nurse puppies continuously in such conditions. dogs at a country shelter get, what, a week a most? puppy mills dogs can spend an entire lifetime w/o ever touching the ground, feeling anything other than wire beneath their feet. that's the difference.
Thats rather silly of a reply..

Dogs arent expected to live their entire lives in shelters, so they should get airconditioning and not suffer from the weather, but people, who are expected to live their entire lives under their conditions, are not afforded air conditioning?

Explain that to me, and while you are at it, are you banning people from adopting dogs that dont have AC? NO.. Hey.. why dont you care about the dogs eevee? Remember, you just said they suffer unless they have AC.. so clearly someone adopting a dog by law should be required to have AC right? When are we going to start providing dog owners with free AC units for pets?

Old 03-13-2011, 05:21 PM

3,390 posts, read 4,950,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westwaswon View Post
Missouri puppy mills face new restrictions | Marketplace From American Public Media (http://marketplace.publicradio.org/display/web/2011/02/04/am-missouri-puppy-mills-face-new-restrictions/ - broken link)

Missouri voters passed a ballot measure in November for tougher rules on dog breeders. Now the Missouri legislature is attempting to overturn the vote.
BARBARA SCHMITZ: I think that the economic arguments are on our side.Schmitz says the process of churning out puppies as a cash crop invariably leads breeders to cut corners.And those corners are translating into a burden for consumers who buy sick puppies, a burden on humane societies who literally spend millions every year cleaning up after this industry.As far as repeal is concerned, Schmitz says overturning a direct vote of the people is something all politicians should think long and hard about. On this issue, she says, the dogs have won.
Not all Missouri Republicans are for this bad change . Many are . Don't make me lay down with libs on this one.
The Mill owners are complaining about having to let the dogs out of the cages every day to crap on the ground. They stack the cages on top of each other and the dogs have to sleep/nurse puppies and eat with the waste in the cage.
They just cant make money if the must give them more room? I hate puppy mills , I don't care if they go broke , they can grow corn on the land .
I'm in agreement with you. I HATE puppy mills, and not only that, but some of the inhumane methods that most animals are treated in the name of food. Don't get me wrong, I willfully eat animal meat, but good gosh some of the conditions in which these animals are treated while they are alive are disgusting.

I probably should, and will boycott any such industries in the future, even though it will cost me more money.

Watch food, inc. that will give you a clue.

Sorry to go off topic. I HATE puppy mills and any other such type of industry. They are WRONG and I don't give a damn what political party supports it, they are dead wrong.

There is one thing that I agree with progressives on (and I'm a conservative); I can't stand some of the things that we as a whole (conservatives) allow to happen.

Libs have a TON of bad things they bring to the table, but some of their policies I am 100 percent in agreement with.

Republicans WAKE UP to insensitivity to animals.

Old 03-13-2011, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Going by the hand-wringing of the puppy mill industry, this will end them. Good riddance.
no.. in order to "rid" them, you need to be able to enforce the laws. Since they cant enforce the current laws on the books, why do you think writing more will get it enforced? WHERE WILL THE MONEY COME FROM?
Quote:
It's just that they've inexplicably failed so far.
And so has laws..
Quote:
I see bad businesses thriving every day. Would be nice if consumers and producers both would some day adopt a sense of ethics, but I'm not holding my breath.
Would be great as well, but even with laws in place they clearly havent stopped have they? So maybe the answer might be more public attention as to whats going on.. clearly laws arent solving the problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies