Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2011, 04:10 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,435,415 times

Advertisements

"Sunday's eruption, which was the biggest volcanic activity in Shinmoedake in 52 years, caused widespread destruction and panic. The blast could be heard for miles, and shattered windows four miles away, the BBC reported. Hundreds of people fled the area as the volcano spewed debris, including hot ash and rocks, more than 6,000 feet in the air, according to BBC reports."

Japan earthquake: Volcano in southern Japan erupts - latimes.com

Good lord. What next?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2011, 05:53 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,299,034 times
yeah scary thing is westren washington has mt saint helens which is still active and the PNW is overdue for a 8.0 and up quake and I could see it going off again It south of seattle and 50 miles northeast of portland oregon.

The volcano is located in the Cascade Range and is part of the Cascade Volcanic Arc, a segment of the Pacific Ring of Fire that includes over 160 active volcanoes and here the fault line the PNW sits on

Old 03-13-2011, 06:04 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,246,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
yeah scary thing is westren washington has mt saint helens which is still active and the PNW is overdue for a 8.0 and up quake and I could see it going off again It south of seattle and 50 miles northeast of portland oregon.

The volcano is located in the Cascade Range and is part of the Cascade Volcanic Arc, a segment of the Pacific Ring of Fire that includes over 160 active volcanoes and here the fault line the PNW sits on
Mt. Lassen, the very bottom one, is also active. If you drive up from Redding to there you see this huge rolling mound. Its the stopping point of the eruption in 1900 when it blew. There are also these HUGE rocks scattered all over the place which it blew out like pebbles. We weren't able to move up there after we visited, but even then living within the range of a live volcano game me somthing to consider.

Should these faultlines go, they are the same as in Japan. It would/will be just as bad.

Old 03-13-2011, 06:07 PM

2,186 posts, read 7,940,943 times
That is horrible, but to be honest not unexpected. With that large of an Earthquake, it was only a warning that more activity would occur. It is definitely a scary time and I am keeping the Japanese people in my thoughts and prayers. I think we all should.

Old 03-13-2011, 06:10 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,435,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alley01 View Post

That is horrible, but to be honest not unexpected. With that large of an Earthquake, it was only a warning that more activity would occur. It is definitely a scary time and I am keeping the Japanese people in my thoughts and prayers. I think we all should.
Me, too.

Old 03-13-2011, 06:16 PM

2,218 posts, read 3,451,429 times
I travel to Japan as often as possible, usually twice a year. The people there are so kind and hospitible. I am horrified at what is happening there and can only join others in expressing my dismay and heartbreak over their plight. I hope all of can be open hearted and prayerful in their terrible time of need. These are very proud and self sufficient people..but right now they need every bit of help anyone can provide.

Old 03-13-2011, 06:22 PM

6,883 posts, read 11,236,142 times
Smile Can't get this off my mind - those poor people and it's so cold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlightAttendant View Post
I travel to Japan as often as possible, usually twice a year. The people there are so kind and hospitible. I am horrified at what is happening there and can only join others in expressing my dismay and heartbreak over their plight. I hope all of can be open hearted and prayerful in their terrible time of need. These are very proud and self sufficient people..but right now they need every bit of help anyone can provide.
Agreed!!

Old 03-13-2011, 06:24 PM

3,127 posts, read 7,626,733 times
I hate to say it, but it's just a matter of time before we see something of that magnitude on OUR Pacific coast.

Old 03-13-2011, 06:34 PM

2,218 posts, read 3,451,429 times
You are right, TX...interestingly enough, there has been no looting, etc in the areas under seige. These are decent, law abiding people who have lost everything. If this happened here (hark back to Katrina), there would be far more civil unrest.

Old 03-13-2011, 08:13 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,299,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXTwizter View Post
I hate to say it, but it's just a matter of time before we see something of that magnitude on OUR Pacific coast.
i think everyone on the living on the west coast kinda expects it to happen. I live about 10-15 minute drive to the ocean preatty much anone who lives in or around vancouver, seattle or portland knows that we are overdue for the big one but I don't really think about it but man the tsunami would leave the coast of the PNW looking alot like japan and with 5-10 minute warning before it means I ride it out on the 2nd story roof or I get maybe 3-4 blocks in my car before it hits because everyone will be heading for higher ground in their cars too.

either way I am screwed just the way it obliterated homes and and tossed cars around like hot wheels toys in japan means once the warning comes for people in the lower coastal regions it is already to late.
vancouver and seattle may make it since vancouver island blocks the brunt of the wave that is if they survive the quake first.

I can imagine most people heading east to alberta colorado or nevada that is if roas and overpasses still exist who knows the I-5 could be ripped apart and undrivable due to debris

Last edited by GTOlover; 03-13-2011 at 08:22 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies