U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2011, 05:21 PM

3,790 posts, read 7,576,415 times

Advertisements

We all know that wind, solar, etc will never be the majority electricity producer in our lifetimes. Yes, the march is on the way towards solar and wind energy, but in the meantime coal, hydro and nuclear are still king. Let's say they were building a new power plant in your area, coal or nuclear, which one would you rather have near you and why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2011, 05:33 PM

86,093 posts, read 70,010,089 times
coal because if anything goes wrong I don't have to worry about glowing in the dark.

Old 03-13-2011, 05:34 PM

3,776 posts, read 3,781,420 times
Nuclear. Cleaner. I'll take my chances with a one in a million meltdown vs black lung disease!

Old 03-13-2011, 05:35 PM

24,843 posts, read 31,312,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
We all know that wind, solar, etc will never be the majority electricity producer in our lifetimes. Yes, the march is on the way towards solar and wind energy, but in the meantime coal, hydro and nuclear are still king. Let's say they were building a new power plant in your area, coal or nuclear, which one would you rather have near you and why?
Nuclear.

Old 03-13-2011, 05:40 PM

1,337 posts, read 1,172,523 times
Quote:
We all know that wind, solar, etc will never be the majority electricity producer in our lifetimes. Yes, the march is on the way towards solar and wind energy, but in the meantime coal, hydro and nuclear are still king.

Let's say they were building a new power plant in your area, coal or nuclear, which one would you rather have near you and why?
I would opt for nuclear over coal, if the set was constrained to those two choices. The primary reason I would elect that choice is that the pollution (of which both suffer from) of the nuclear plant is not haphazardly released into the atmosphere as a matter of routine course, as an intentional function of it's design.

Additionally, the likelihood of a catastrophe (which may vary by an individuals location, which one must factor in) would seem to be marginal such that it does not seem a wise trade-off to weigh the 100 percent guarantee of emissions from coal plant which are likely present twenty-four hours a day during normal operation, as being a wiser utility trade-off than the nuclear plant which while it may have a more serious impact, the probability of that occurrence is arbitrarily close to zero (which does not imply that the probability is being taken to be zero for all intents and purposes. But merely, that it is a very unlikely occurrence).

Last edited by FreedomThroughAnarchism; 03-13-2011 at 05:58 PM..

Old 03-13-2011, 05:57 PM

37,072 posts, read 38,398,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya View Post
black lung disease!
<sigh> Black lung is from long exposure to coal dust in a mine usually over many years, other professions have similar issues like concrete workers, sheetrockers etc. Particulate maatter or the soot from burning coal is one thing that is regulated by the EPA. The flue gases first go through what they call a wet scrubber which captures the PM and other polluants.

Old 03-13-2011, 05:58 PM

20,979 posts, read 15,646,554 times
Quote:
Coal.

Clean, plentiful, efficient.

Old 03-13-2011, 06:45 PM

11,425 posts, read 16,687,576 times
Default Which poison would you choose?

It would have to be a Nuke because coal plants are soon to be gone in California.

Old 03-14-2011, 01:13 AM

9,601 posts, read 9,448,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Coal.

Clean, plentiful, efficient.
how many of them?

Old 03-14-2011, 01:28 AM

9,601 posts, read 9,448,188 times
Hmmm. If those reactors in Japan do go, the radiation will cover a wide swath of earth. That includes the West Coast of the United States. You are not allowed to make explosives or do a variety of dangerous things in your home for the very reason that the consequences of your @#$% up are not limited to your basement or living room or garage or wherever it is you get your anti-social jollies on. Coal plants also have implications for the wider environment and cannot be fully endorsed. Wind energy plants could be sited offshore where their impact on bird life is lessened and solar plants can be sited in high desert low population areas where their effect on real estate values is minimal. Only on an American website would you have people coming out in favor of the expansion of nuclear energy in this country while reactors burn in Japan. You are forgetting those Chinese execs that had to be executed after China's earthquake exposed their substandard projects. Similar revelations will be made in Japan. I would live in the control room of a nuclear reactor, but only if it was built by angels. The wings and halo kind. My fellow humans give me the creeps and I wouldn't trust them to build a house of cards properly let alone a fast breeder reactor.

H
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies