Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 09:30 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,556,847 times

Advertisements

I fully support abortion within the confines of the law as it is written in Roe v. Wade. For me it is a moral position. There are over 100,000 children in the foster care system awaiting adoption. We have apalling social services in place to care for impoverished children as it is. If pro-lifers really cared about children, there would be no children awaiting adoption, and there would be more funds assigned to cover social and medical care of children in this country. I have no problem if pro-lifers practice what they preach, but very few do.

Old 03-14-2011, 09:35 PM

1,759 posts, read 2,028,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
If pro-lifers really cared about children, there would be no children awaiting adoption, and there would be more funds assigned to cover social and medical care of children in this country. I have no problem if pro-lifers practice what they preach, but very few do.
Sorry, I have to respond to this because it is oft-spoken and just absurd. I never understand the "all prolifers should adopt if they're so interested in not murdering unborn children."

Perhaps all pro-health-care bill people should be the only ones to pay out of pocket for all the people who cannot / will not afford health care on their own.

Perhaps all be-kind-to-convicted-criminals people should have to live next to the prison that houses them.

On and on.

Old 03-14-2011, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alltheusernamesaretaken View Post
Sorry, I have to respond to this because it is oft-spoken and just absurd. I never understand the "all prolifers should adopt if they're so interested in not murdering unborn children."

Perhaps all pro-health-care bill people should be the only ones to pay out of pocket for all the people who cannot / will not afford health care on their own.

Perhaps all be-kind-to-convicted-criminals people should have to live next to the prison that houses them.

On and on.
But we are not discussing those things.

The pro-life position is that instead of being aborted, these children would be adopted into loving homes. If we were to have 1.2 million unplanned children born each year, and we can't take care of the 100, 000 children already in the foster care system awaiting adoption, then what do you supppose will happen to them?

Old 03-14-2011, 09:50 PM

All 1.2 million unplanned children have to be given up for adoption?

Hardly. It's a choice, but it should be 2nd to parents raising their own flesh and blood. Too poor? Tell poor people they should have never been born. Unstable relationship? Either get counseling, or get out if it's abusive or otherwise unfixable and raise a child on your own (YES, that is preferable to KILLING said child).

The argument always seems to be
--something regarding the above (how many babies would HAVE to be adopted),
--the income of the parents,
--a life or death situation for the mother/baby
--etc.

When the reality is that abortion is used more often than anyone would like to admit for convenience purposes. If that weren't the case, we wouldn't have so many bleating about "my damn body and my damn life to do with what I choose." -- the common thread in any "pro-life" rant.

Old 03-14-2011, 09:55 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,106,791 times
Quote:

Hardly. It's a choice, but it should be 2nd to parents raising their own flesh and blood. Too poor? Tell poor people they should have never been born. Unstable relationship? Either get counseling, or get out if it's abusive or otherwise unfixable and raise a child on your own (YES, that is preferable to KILLING said child).

--etc.

When the reality is that abortion is used more often than anyone would like to admit for convenience purposes. If that weren't the case, we wouldn't have so many bleating about "my damn body and my damn life to do with what I choose." -- the common thread in any "pro-life" rant.
ah! but it is.

Its not your body. Not your life.

Old 03-14-2011, 09:57 PM

1,337 posts, read 1,521,791 times
Quote:
But we are not discussing those things.

The pro-life position is that instead of being aborted, these children would be adopted into loving homes. If we were to have 1.2 million unplanned children born each year, and we can't take care of the 100, 000 children already in the foster care system awaiting adoption, then what do you supppose will happen to them?
That's a rather utilitarian kind of way to approach ethics. Which is fine, except that a lot of people really aren't utilitarians. The argument may resonate with some people, but its pretty much just going to mean nothing to other people, because they view it as largely irrelevant.

There are some people who think the world is overcrowded which itself might lead to a form of misery (Malthusian-type concerns continue to concern some people), and utilitarians sometimes have solutions for that too (which is usually along the lines either of eugenics, or another approach being imposing restrictions on who can have children, or how many can be had, etc...).... and again those solutions may sit quite well with many utilitarians, because they see it as a viable solution to a problem. But not everyone thinks those means are an acceptable way to achieve a particular end.

Old 03-14-2011, 09:58 PM

Quote:

--etc.

So not only would you force a woman to give birth to the baby, but you think she is morally obligated to raise a child she never wanted in the first place? YIKES!

Old 03-14-2011, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreedomThroughAnarchism View Post
That's a rather utilitarian kind of way to approach ethics. Which is fine, except that a lot of people really aren't utilitarians. The argument may resonate with some people, but its pretty much just going to mean nothing to other people, because they view it as largely irrelevant.

There are some people who think the world is overcrowded which itself might lead to a form of misery, and utilitarians sometimes have solutions for that too (which is usually along the lines either of eugenics, or another approach being imposing restrictions on who can have children, or how many can be had, etc...).... and again those solutions may sit quite well with many utilitarians, because they see it as a solution to a problem. But not everyone thinks those means are an acceptable way to achieve a particular end.
Okay, that's an interesting approach. So what are the practical solutions?

Old 03-14-2011, 10:01 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,407,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
Then do you think being pro-life automatically make someone moral?
Not necessarily, if they had moral failings in other areas. Being pro-abortion (pro-murder) is an inherently immoral position. Just like if someone was pro-genocide but otherwise a "good person" -- is that person moral?

Old 03-14-2011, 10:01 PM

Quote:
So not only would you force a woman to give birth to the baby, but you think she is morally obligated to raise a child she never wanted in the first place? YIKES!
So you would stop a beating heart? (insert your YIKES here)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies