Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 06:54 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,827,481 times

Advertisements

I was born and raised in Georgia. I have a deep Southern accent. That's "Ack-sent" not "acksent" Pauses, etc. Different speaking patterns seem to translate to intelligence, for some people.

So do you think something intrinsically when you hear a certain accent. Like New Yorker's are rude, Southerner's are dumb, etc.

Does elocution remain a barrier to modern acceptance? I think it does.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5im0Ssyyus

Where are these voices from? Does it matter how someone speaks?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8rc9IIp6ns

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxxbXgo7IVw

The funniest thing to me - seen it throughout my life - is people basing what they initially think of you on how you sound when you speak.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2011, 09:36 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,861,612 times
I don't have much of an accent. In fact, I tend to echo the accents around me when I'm having a conversation with someone, so that people think I'm a local native. However, when people find out I'm from Arkansas, they often seem to presume that my education was sub-par, and that I've lived a rather limited life.

Old 03-15-2011, 09:40 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,126,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I don't have much of an accent. In fact, I tend to echo the accents around me when I'm having a conversation with someone, so that people think I'm a local native. However, when people find out I'm from Arkansas, they often seem to presume that my education was sub-par, and that I've lived a rather limited life.
You do that too?

Someone told me it was a mild form of echolalia. Maybe it was you LOL.

My sister and I both do that - and it caused us some trouble when we were working in the tourist industry in high school. Some people thought we were mocking them when actually I didn't even know I was mimicing their accent.

She's much better at it than I am, she can pretty much imitate anyone.

Old 03-15-2011, 09:52 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,806,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I still have a bit of Brit in me, having grown up with that system, but I also try to adjust my accent to make for an easier communication. In fact, just minutes ago the word "route" came up while speaking to a colleague (native Texan) and I asked how she would differentiate between "rout" and "route" (the Amenglish way). I still prefer saying "graas" (grass) when talking about lawn with my neighbor (also a Texas native), I enjoy his reaction to it.

Old 03-15-2011, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
You do that too?

Someone told me it was a mild form of echolalia. Maybe it was you LOL.

My sister and I both do that - and it caused us some trouble when we were working in the tourist industry in high school. Some people thought we were mocking them when actually I didn't even know I was mimicing their accent.

She's much better at it than I am, she can pretty much imitate anyone.
It is a form of echolalia. I did some telemarketing years ago, and it was actually a huge boon. I always think that speech patterns are like music. When I hear a different tune, I sing along with it. Not consciously, it's just something that is always going on in the background in my head. Someone starts talking, and my subconscious starts looking for the pattern, and I start echoing it when I talk back to the speaker.

Old 03-15-2011, 10:00 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,719,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
I was born and raised in Georgia. I have a deep Southern accent. That's "Ack-sent" not "acksent" Pauses, etc. Different speaking patterns seem to translate to intelligence, for some people.
I also have a southern accent, and among other southerners, speak a sort of quick-and-dirty swamp gibberish that is hard to understand, but i'm not nearly as difficult to understand as the fellow in that video. I haven't had anyone call me 'stupid' on account of how I speak, because when I leave the south, I adapt my speech and talk like I'm formally educated.

however -- i must say, pretending to be stupid is a great defense mechanism; talking like boomhauer is going to get a different reaction than if you talk like fritz hollings.

Last edited by le roi; 03-15-2011 at 10:09 AM..

Old 03-15-2011, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
I still have a bit of Brit in me, having grown up with that system, but I also try to adjust my accent to make for an easier communication. In fact, just minutes ago the word "route" came up while speaking to a colleague (native Texan) and I asked how she would differentiate between "rout" and "route" (the Amenglish way). I still prefer saying "graas" (grass) when talking about lawn with my neighbor (also a Texas native), I enjoy his reaction to it.
For some odd reason, no matter whom I'm speaking to, or what "accent" is dominant, I always pronounce the "t" in "often". It's an anomaly of my speech patterns. I switch between "rout" and "route, I switch between "aunt" and "ant", I adapt in every way, except for how I pronounce "often". Crazy, huh?

Old 03-15-2011, 10:30 AM

52,708 posts, read 34,525,339 times
yes, i think that many people automatically classify people with a southern accent as being unintelligent and/or uneducated.

Old 03-15-2011, 10:43 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,126,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
yes, i think that many people automatically classify people with a southern accent as being unintelligent and/or uneducated.
I've used that unfortunate phenomenon to my advantage many times.

Many are the Yankees who enjoyed a full course crow dinner as a result of judging me by my accent.

Old 03-15-2011, 04:06 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,377,473 times
The problem with many accents is that people don't use proper English.

I have no problem with the southern "y'all" as thats a very unique term. It seems that every region of the country has its own version, whether its "you guys" or "you all".

But many people have let their vocabulary lapse in the south, its quite scary. As from my screen name, I'm sure you can guess that I have a deep accent. But that doesn't mean that I let my vocabulary slip.

Many great men and women have had southern accents, but they didn't speak in the unintelligent language that many southerners use today.

When I was in Michigan many folks felt that my accent was unique and enjoyed it. None of them felt that I lacked intelligence because of my accent. But as I said, I speak with the best use of the language that I know of.

I don't go around saying things like "em' r 2 duks" and things of that nature.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies