Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2011, 12:17 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,271,474 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Well, one of his deferments was named Elizabeth.
He said he had better things to do than get drafted.
(So did the rest of the draftees and enlistees).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2011, 12:19 PM

19,784 posts, read 15,104,274 times
Quote:
I don't know anyone who came home and just slid back into society after that.
You can't, not all at once. Any combat vet can tell you. I got help, some don't.

Old 03-16-2011, 12:20 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,550,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlk1974 View Post
I wasnt born yet when the vietnam war was going on, but I have been reading that most of the population back in the states had hatred for the soldiers over there fighting, just wondering why that was? Im assuming because the people were getting tired of hearing about the war and took it out on those that decided to serve in it? Well, if this is true, then we are approaching that same sentiment again, it wont be to long before people get tired of hearing about the two wars we are in now, and possibly getting ready to start another one? People will first take it out on the elected to office in washington, then after awhile, they begin to have hatred for the troops who decide to serve. It may not seem that way with all the support our troops signs we see all over, but I believe what happened in vietnam will happen again once people get sick of hearing about it.
This is a good subject. I share my story. I grew up during the Vietnam days. At that time I was being raised as a Jehovah's Witness. As such I did not believe in military service. I actually got a Conscientous Objector status and was exempted from the draft.
I am proud to say my family and I never mistreated veterans. We actually even took into our home a couple that we saw on the street crying and distressed after they had returned from Vietnam and comforted them.

Time passed by and my views in life and religion changed. I did not associate with Jehovah's Witnesses anymore but to this day I still respect their organization and have some fond memories from those days.

Later I enlisted in the Army and just retired after 32 years of service.

From what I remember from those days, I believe the propaganda was a factor in turning the people against the Warriors. They were portrayed as "baby killers" and atrocities that did happen were presented to the American people in such a way that the people turned against the Soldiers. I personnaly do not believe that type of attitude will happen again today. I believe the people today can separate disagreement about the war today and the commitment Soldiers have to the country when they raised they hand to serve. We are not policy makers. We simply serve our country as called to do. We are aware a war can be unpopular but as Soldiers we cannot be a democracy where we vote to see if we want to go to that war theater. It is up to the leaders conscience whether that war is just or not and make the call to send the troops. It is also for the people to protest that war and make the leaders to pull the troops back or not but to respect the Soldiers for keeping their commitment to serve their country.
I personally thank all citizens that have supported us despite the unpopular war that is going on in the eyes of many.
Everytime someonethat has said "thanks for your service" to me I reply with a "And I thank you for your support", take care.

Old 03-16-2011, 12:26 PM

19,784 posts, read 15,104,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Ohhhh, then you come from a line of cowards.

Now, this makes more sense.

Personally, I do not have to put my head in a dirty garbage can to know it stinks.

Someone who stands up and says hell no to their face is anything but a coward. I don't blame the guy.

Old 03-16-2011, 12:30 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,776,564 times
Quote:
For some reason, the US thinks it is the world police, and should have a hand in everything that goes on in every land, what a joke!
The world police because American sensibilities & Judeo-Christian ethics being the hallmark of western civilization, we abhorr injustice. I also think the world does (collectively) seek out leadership from us. That was certainly true of WW2. It's true now as well. Something of a double edged sword for them, however, when they invite America to be the 3rd party arbitrator then claim themselves victims of a crooked judge. Is there truth to that? When it all comes down to dust people have to be willing to own their own BS. Doesn't matter right or left, Israel or Palestine, etc etc etc.

Quote:
We have enough going wrong at home to even worry about other countries right now, the chinese basically own us and without their money, we couldnt afford to fight any wars, cuz we wouldnt have any money! These wars now are for resources and power, not freedom! I truly believe if the founding fathers could see what their great country has become, they would be rolling in their graves!!! This is not what they intended, not even close! Hell, we now have more taxes than england, the whole reason in the first place this country was even started!! How many time will they tax us for one item, i.e, cars, homes etc.??
Agreed. Bush should have been removed on the grounds of gross malfeasance but I'd like to point at where in history I saw a massive sea change happening--- Ross Perot was the lone wolf against NAFTA and overly liberal globalization policy reeking havoc on what was a symbiotic economy. Dems and Repubs gave american voters a choice between NAFTA and NAFTA. That was no choice at all and it was deliberately installed against the will of the people. We continue to be forced to accept Global trade imbalance undermining long term health of this nation.

I'm very disappointed to witness the DOJ sitting on it's arse for 8yrs straight, apparently fearful of political power abused for nasty agendas hellbent on destroying America. It's clear to me the checks and balances our founders installed so that truth might prevail have been methodically & systemically breached. 'Justice' as we know it is owned by the highest bidder, along with every ounce of free press spending inordinate amounts of energy avoiding truth. We are very far from our roots. Leadership (all forms) in America is very far from it's higher calling. So are We the People.

Old 03-16-2011, 12:45 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,776,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
In '82 I was hassled by cops in Newport News Virginia. When the sub I was on pulled into Va we were all told to be careful about walking on the beach, as cops would hassle us. Our sub was in a shipyard and we there for 2 years. So I kind of let my guard down. One day I was stopped by two cops, they spotted my short hair-cut knew I was a servicemember and stopped me. They were giving me grief, criticizing the military and mostly just trying to get me to lash out or swing at them. But as they pushed me back and forth, I stayed polite and did nothing to encourage them. Suddenly one called out that I was armed, and it went really sour from there. I was thrown to the ground and hand-cuffed. I had a folding-knife in a sheath on my belt [I am an Electronic Tech on a sub in a shipyard, everyday was spent slicing open cables and re-wiring computer systems].

The cops said that in Va it is illegal to exhibit a knife, and since the handle could be seen sticking out of the top of the sheath I was exhibiting the knife. They also said that in Newport News it is illegal to conceal a knife, and since most of the knife was hidden inside the sheath it was concealed. So they gave me a choice as to which charge they were going to arrest me for.

One night in a cell, and the next day before a judge who commended the cops for being such brave and wonderful examples of fine police work. The judge even asked me how many babies I had killed, I remained polite and respectful. He fined me $100 and released me.
If it were my command (which it's not) I'd like all cases such as these to be brought to JAG officers for review and challenged in civilian courts with assist from ACLU. These types of examples- inflicting politics from the bench- need to be confronted and the record set straight. Please do this. Future troops and Veterans need this from you. Right to privacy may be something you prize but if it only becomes a source for festering boils for yourself and among other service members (active or retired) it's not in anyone's best interest. Not even your own. We're strong when we stand on truth. I thank you for your service.

Old 03-16-2011, 01:04 PM

37,441 posts, read 61,352,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
If it were my command (which it's not) I'd like all cases such as these to be brought to JAG officers for review and challenged in civilian courts with assist from ACLU. These types of examples- inflicting politics from the bench- need to be confronted and the record set straight. Please do this. Future troops and Veterans need this from you. Right to privacy may be something you prize but if it only becomes a source for festering boils for yourself and among other service members (active or retired) it's not in anyone's best interest. Not even your own. We're strong when we stand on truth....
At the time, I went to my chief and was told that I was lucky to have gotten out of that court without a jail sentence. I was told that the judges there routinely held sailors for much longer, and anytime they did the Navy viewed it as being U.A. and would charge us separately for being U.A. He said I was very lucky.

It was used later as a P.O.D. note to remind all of our crew to avoid local law enforcement and try not to be busted for being on the beach.

This incident was decades ago, I did my 20+ years and I have long since retired.

I admit that I was in fact carrying a knife in a sheath, so I was guilty of both exhibiting and concealing a knife.

Investing money now on legal fees, to recoup what? Was the $100 fine too high?

I was a dumb kid. I had been warned to be careful as the cops would bust us if they could anytime we were on the beach.

I was in error.

Quote:
... I thank you for your service.
Your welcome.

Old 03-16-2011, 01:05 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,314,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alltheusernamesaretaken View Post
I agree with you completely, I still support the soldiers, I don't support this war, and I thank you for your service.
You usually thank someone when you receive a benefit.

How were, or are, you benefited from any serviceman's service?

Viet Nam, Granada, Iraq, Afghanistan?

Especially, in the case of a drafted serviceman's "service".

Old 03-16-2011, 01:09 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Yeah.

Right. From their families. Nobody was waving flags for them at the airport and slapping them on the back.

Queston: Your dad got C.O. status? Who did he know on the draft board?
Don't know. Don't care either. I'm just glad that he got it.

Old 03-16-2011, 01:13 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
In other words you have no proof, why should anyone believe your father went through anything whatsoever?

Sounds like a bunch of lies to me, how typical.
LOL...yea, right.

There is a difference here. There is no proof of troops being spat upon other than the same tired anecdotes that no one in their right mind would believe. But Jim Crow is well documented. You can sit here and pretend that you don't believe it, but i know and you know that it happened, and no amount of fake indignation on your part is gonna change that.

In any case....as you were!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies