Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2011, 06:25 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,978,392 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
There was wide spread hatred of troops back then in many universities and especially along the east coast. My dad was stationed on a ship in San Diego in the mid to late 60s. Him and his buddies would tell us about the "warm welcome" they received upon returning from deployment. They tried to disguise themselves so as not to appear a member of the military. They tried to travel in groups for protection in the USA. They felt safer in Guam and Philipines than in the state of California. Even today, there are still universities and places in California that hate the American military (like Berkeley for example).
What a laughable claim....I wonder if you believe yourself?

Post any credible new story from that time that describes a similar situation please, to back up your tall tale...LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2011, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
I disagree, my dad said people spit at them and yelled "baby killer" as they got off the bus at the Amory.

Answers.com - Did people really call Vietnam veterans baby killers
wow! some unknown author posts a reply on the internet. No sourcing whatsoever.

That's proof for a right winger....lol

Old 05-29-2011, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
It did indeed happen. I did not serve in Vietnam. I volunteered in July 1972 and was sent to Okinawa after boot camp in December 1972. When I returned in January 1974 I flew into Hawaii on a military transport, and then switched to a civilian airplane to fly into San Francisco. I was wearing my Class A uniform and carrying my duffel bag, and had absolutely no problems with anyone in Hawaii. However, when I arrived in San Francisco that changed.

Even though I had never been to Vietnam, and never killed anyone, I was accused of being a "baby killer", had objects thrown at me, and was spit upon. And that was before I got out of the San Francisco airport.

If San Francisco were to be nuked tomorrow, I would not shed a single tear. I would be dancing in the streets.
Chance are, in my book, you're lying.

Old 05-29-2011, 06:34 PM

37,467 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
Stories of Vietnam War soldiers being spit on by hippies is an urban legend.

There was a whole book written about this tall tale, often repeated by right wing lemmings. The Spitting Image - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
sigh

I first enlisted in 1976.

During the late 70's and into the mid 80s, I experienced open hatred being expressed at the military.

You can say it was urban legend if you must. But that does not over-ride the factual history of what happened.

As late as '83 I was arrested in Newport News Virginia for being a sailor on their beaches. A night in a cell and a $100 fine the next day from their magistrate.

For the next 20 years, every time my security clearance background was being re-done it came up in their investigation and I had to write a new statement each time explaining why I was arrested and convicted.

It got better by the 90s.

Old 05-29-2011, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
Its not an urban legend.. It happened to me........
Sure it did.

People lie about their military service all the time.

There even websites devoted debunking the claims of these wanna be warriors.

Old 05-29-2011, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
sigh

During the late 70's and into the mid 80s, I experienced open hatred being expressed at the military.

You can say it was urban legend if you must. But that does not over-ride the factual history of what happened.

As late as '83 I was arrested in Newport News Virginia for being a sailor on their beaches. A night in a cell and a $100 fine the next day from their magistrate.

For the next 20 years, every time my security clearance background was being re-done it came up in their investigation and I had to write a new statement each time explaining why I was arrested and convicted.

Of course you did...which makes it even more likely you are lying.

Ford Calls Vietnam War "Finished": Anticipating the fall of Saigon to Communist forces, US President Gerald Ford, speaking in New Orleans, announces that as far as the US is concerned, the Vietnam War is "finished."

Last Americans Evacuate as Saigon Falls to Communists: South Vietnamese President Duong Van Minh delivers an unconditional surrender to the Communists in the early hours of April 30. North Vietnamese Colonel Bui Tin accepts the surrender and assures Minh that, "...Only the Americans have been beaten. If you are patriots, consider this a moment of joy." As the few remaining Americans evacuate Saigon, the last two US servicemen to die in Vietnam are killed when their helicopter crashes.

Old 05-29-2011, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
sigh

Arrested in Newport News.....the biggest Navy town in the USA for being "a sailor".....LOL

Must have been the "liberals"...who took over the police force ...and made being "a sailor" illegal....LOL

Old 05-29-2011, 06:44 PM

37,467 posts, read 61,396,384 times
I have never claimed to have served in VN.

I first enlisted in 1976, which makes me 'VN-era' according to the VA [since we did not get all US servicemembers out of VN until 1976].

As I said I began serving in 76, and I retired from Active Duty in 2001.

Open hostility from US civilians that I witnessed was very common in the 70's and remained common into the mid-80s.

Old 05-29-2011, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
"However, due to President Obama’s clear circumvention of Congressional approval and his egregious and erroneous appeal to the War Powers Act, I am stating categorically that his attack upon Libya is an abuse of executive power and an unconstitutional action. This is not my opinion alone. Many Americans from constitutional law experts to his own liberal Democrats are beginning to say the same thing, which brings me back to the quote from Bob Dole, “Where’s the outrage?”

Where’s the Outrage?
Are you asking me to comment on some hypocrisy ? Because if so, you don't know what the hell you are talking about....I've started threads about Obama's illegality and mentioned just yesterday he should be impeached for it.

I read scores of liberal writers that feel the same way about what Obama has done. I don't know of anyone who agrees with him? Maybe you do?

I have principles. It's the regular right wing CD posters here that don't.

It's all about if the issue at hand is good or bad for "their tribe". Typical authoritarians.

Old 05-29-2011, 07:05 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,253,676 times
As I remember it, attitudes differed about officers and enlisted. A lot of the people I knew during VN and immediately after respected the officers, who were generally college educated, but considered the enlisted kids as kind of uneducated lower life forms they really didn't want their daughters hanging around with and certainly didn't want their sons to emulate. I would guess a much higher proportion of the ones who became mentally screwed up were enlisted, possibly as a result of this double standard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies