Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 06:39 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,934,013 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
You can believe all the fantasy stories you wish. But when you start to cost the tax payer Hundreds of Thousands of Dollars to keep a brain dead, no chance of recovering, baby alive you've crossed the line. You're point of view is totally absurd and unreasonable. You don't have the right to drag the tax payer into your weird religious motivated fiasco. The Hospital that agreed to take this baby just severely hurt the care they give to their other patients.

Prove that US taxpayer funds are being used and you might have an arguement, might, after you have also denied hospital care to every person in the US illegally. Until that time, your outrage is selective hypocrisy at best.

The Canadian hospital was refusing to allow the parents to take their child elsewhere for a second opinion. Are you suggesting that no parent should be allowed to get their child a second opinion when a death sentence is being faced? Really?

Go figure the left is all for endless death row appeals for convicted murderers but not for a terminally ill 13 mo. old little boy. Way to place a value on life and the respect for the rights of parents to make medical decisions for their children.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2011, 06:44 PM

8,893 posts, read 5,371,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by songgirl View Post

Meanwhile, Obama was trying to mandate that everyone be presented with an end of life questionnaire.
It was none of BO's business what my end of life wishes were.

Old 03-16-2011, 07:08 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
Actually.. it does. The first sentence of the article is, "The parents of a terminally ill Canadian toddler deemed to be in a permanent vegetative state..."

Oh I know... and that's what people have to realize here. This case is not about the child. It's not about cruelty and it's not about Mercy.

It is about parents in grief.
Well, I missed that and I read the article several times over. The parents do want to let him die, they just want him to have the trach so he can die at home.

Old 03-16-2011, 07:29 PM

3,502 posts, read 9,606,544 times
This is a sad situation. I would not want to see my child suffer, nor would I want my children to let me suffer. I would pull the tube.

If the reason is religious with the understanding that only God can make this decision, I would say that God already has made the decision. Let him go, it is man (not God) that is keeping him alive.

Old 03-16-2011, 07:29 PM

2,673 posts, read 3,248,373 times
My decision would be that a permanent vegetative state is the sign from the ether world that it's time to let go. I would be next to their side when the last breath is taken. I've been there twice with close family members. It's not easy to let them go, but we must. Personally, I think it's selfish to try and keep someone alive that is in a permanent vegetative state and I would hate my family if they did that to me. If I was in that position, please let me go.

Old 03-16-2011, 07:49 PM

33,536 posts, read 37,140,220 times
What is the matter with these parents? Their first baby was the same...Why go through it all again? All they can hope for is to delay the babies death for a few months...The baby is a vegetable, so I'd pull the plug and sterilize the parent who's genes are causing this horrible problem.

Moe, the baby's father, told me: "Our first child (with the same neurodegenerative disorder) had a tracheotomy and we took care of her at home."

He also stated: "We managed this tracheotomy without a problem or infection for six months prior to her death."

Read more: Let's acknowledge the plight of baby Joseph (http://www.windsorstar.com/acknowledge+plight+baby+Joseph/4407218/story.html#ixzz1GojIZpC5 - broken link)

Old 03-16-2011, 08:17 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
What would you do?

Canadian boy moved to US over end-of-life dispute

Canadian boy moved to US over end-of-life dispute | US National Headlines | Comcast.net (http://www.comcast.net/articles/news-national/20110314/US.Canadian.Boy.End.of.Life.Dispute/ - broken link)

ST. LOUIS — A Canadian couple transferred their terminally ill toddler son to a Catholic hospital in St. Louis after an Ontario court ruled that doctors could remove the breathing tube keeping the boy alive.

Thirteen-month-old Joseph Maraachli arrived at Cardinal Glennon Children's Hospital on Sunday after the hospital agreed to treat the boy. The hospital issued a statement Monday saying Joseph arrived in serious but stable condition and was being evaluated by doctors there.
I can't imagine that a tracheotomy would have to be an extremely expensive procedure. Really it wouldn't take much for anyone to figure out how to perform that procedure.

Then he can move to skilled nursing, he doesn't need to stay in an acute care hospital.

Old 03-16-2011, 08:20 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
What is the matter with these parents? Their first baby was the same...Why go through it all again? All they can hope for is to delay the babies death for a few months...The baby is a vegetable, so I'd pull the plug and sterilize the parent who's genes are causing this horrible problem.

Moe, the baby's father, told me: "Our first child (with the same neurodegenerative disorder) had a tracheotomy and we took care of her at home."

He also stated: "We managed this tracheotomy without a problem or infection for six months prior to her death."

Read more: Let's acknowledge the plight of baby Joseph (http://www.windsorstar.com/acknowledge+plight+baby+Joseph/4407218/story.html#ixzz1GojIZpC5 - broken link)
If they take care of him at home like they did their first child, then it isn't going to cost any taxpayers all that much money.

I don't see why Canada would deny people who will provide the care for their loved ones themselves a fairly simple procedure. It couldn't cost nearly as much as most cosmetic surgeries that are obviously completely unnecessary even if they're coded to make big money for the hospital.

Old 03-16-2011, 08:34 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,413,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
What would you do?

Canadian boy moved to US over end-of-life dispute

Canadian boy moved to US over end-of-life dispute | US National Headlines | Comcast.net (http://www.comcast.net/articles/news-national/20110314/US.Canadian.Boy.End.of.Life.Dispute/ - broken link)

ST. LOUIS — A Canadian couple transferred their terminally ill toddler son to a Catholic hospital in St. Louis after an Ontario court ruled that doctors could remove the breathing tube keeping the boy alive.

Thirteen-month-old Joseph Maraachli arrived at Cardinal Glennon Children's Hospital on Sunday after the hospital agreed to treat the boy. The hospital issued a statement Monday saying Joseph arrived in serious but stable condition and was being evaluated by doctors there.
Do people really expect anything different under any type of government run health care?

Old 03-16-2011, 08:38 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,284,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pommysmommy View Post
Do people really expect anything different under any type of government run health care?
Did you catch the part about how they had to go 450 miles from home to even find a US hospital that would do it? They were declined by our hospitals, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies