Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 03:32 PM

2,488 posts, read 4,321,055 times

Advertisements

If this act passed, it would classify a new life from the exact moment of initial splitting during fertilization and give the rights and protections to unborn babies. This act would also outlaw abortion in all cases except to save the mother's life.

What do you guys think about this?

http://www.legis.state.tx.us/tlodocs...f/HB01109I.pdf

Texas considers bill to ban abortion (OneNewsNow.com)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2011, 03:33 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,409,040 times
That would be AWESOME!!!!! I would 100% support it.

Now if Texas could just ban the death penalty along with abortion . . .

Old 03-15-2011, 03:38 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,379,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sman View Post
If this act passed, it would classify a new life from the exact moment of initial splitting during fertilization and give the rights and protections to unborn babies. This act would also outlaw abortion in all cases except to save the mother's life.

What do you guys think about this?

http://www.legis.state.tx.us/tlodocs...f/HB01109I.pdf

Texas considers bill to ban abortion (OneNewsNow.com)
And it would violate the 14th amendment.

I wonder if Texas politicians understand that eggs are fertilized before they reach the womb wall, and 75% of all fertilized eggs never make it to the womb wall and are passed through the monthly cycle?

I guess the death rate in Texas will go up by 75%, since thats when life begins.

Old 03-15-2011, 03:39 PM

1,599 posts, read 2,947,387 times
I think it's a complete waste of time.

Old 03-15-2011, 03:43 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,409,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post

I wonder if Texas politicians understand that eggs are fertilized before they reach the womb wall, and 75% of all fertilized eggs never make it to the womb wall and are passed through the monthly cycle?

I guess the death rate in Texas will go up by 75%, since thats when life begins.
How does this bill violate the 14th amendment?

Old 03-15-2011, 03:44 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,854,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoopilot View Post

I agree. Although I don't see the abortion issue changing in my lifetime so I wish more emphasis is put on stopping the death penalty.

Old 03-15-2011, 03:50 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,035,296 times
Quote:

Not only are folks ignorant about basic biology they still seem unable to understand the Constitution.

Amendment 14 - Citizenship Rights.

1. All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside. No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.

Roe v. Wade, 410 U.S. 113 (1973), (see above)

Old 03-15-2011, 03:52 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,379,671 times
Quote:
The supreme court has said that a woman has the right to choose under the constitution.

The 14th amendment forbids states to pass laws that violate federal law. Since the SCOTUS says that women have the right to choose, then that violates the 14th amendment. Its also considered a civil right by many judges for a woman to have the right to choose, which would also violate the 14th.

They may pass this law, but it will never stand up to the courts. Some may call it legislating from the bench, but they do have the responsibility to enforce their interpretation.

I'm not in Texas, so really I don't care. Honestly, I support the 10th amendment and think it should be left up to the states individually, but this isn't the world we live in. I'm pro-choice, I don't want to tell anyone what they have to do with their body. My main objection to this law is that it would effectively outlaw the morning after pill.

The morning after pill doesn't prevent egg fertilization, it prevents the egg from attaching itself to the womb wall. Under the wording of this law, that would be illegal. But this law completely ignores the biological process of human reproduction.

Old 03-15-2011, 03:53 PM

2,488 posts, read 4,321,055 times
Quote:

I agree with you with the exception of your views about the death penalty. Murderers, rapists, pedophiles don't deserve the death penalty?

Old 03-15-2011, 04:02 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,921,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post

Would I be correct in assuming that this bill upsets your Libertarian sensibilities? Those same Libertarian sensibilities that get offended by the acts of Lincoln in the early 1860's? Interesting in that as you say the 14th Amendment would block it in your opinion, yet this is what you had to say about the 14th in a previous post:

"The 14th amendment was a power grab, and was passed by a congress that didn't represent all of the people, of course some of which had already tried to leave the union.

I understand its law, but it granted WAY to much power to the federal branch, and essentially ended states rights. I disagree with it in principle, and it should be repealed. I've written my congressmen and women to that effect, its really my only recourse. But until the general population (which is generally fat, dumb, and happy) get behind such a measure, its a pipe dream."

Since you don't believe in the 14th Amendment, your post appears somewhat contradictory to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies