U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 08:51 AM

18,417 posts, read 11,670,560 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
But his staff are public employees. Unions are DEMANDING that public employees keep getting higher salaries and benefits increases. Look at how outraged the WI public unions are when the taxpayers vote someone in to limit that.

The MDC employees are not all represented by unions, they received no raises for the past 2 years, and are not paid for 2 holidays out of the year. They did not get benefits increases, and had some trimmed.

In Florida, 23-27% of the PS employees are represented by unions...that's the Police, Fire and teachers' unions. The remaining 73-77% are NOT repeat NOT represented by unons. Try to get the facts before making a blanket statement.

Alvarez gave his staff raises, some as much as 30%, for each of the last two years, when there was 11 and 12% unemployment in the county in which he served, and bought himself a new BMW on the counties dime. What goes for the front line employee who gets paid jack should go for the top echelon, and the government still doesn't get that.

If he had explained the circumstances for the property tax increase to the people, instead of his usual take it and like it attitude that alienated his constituents, and not given out raises while expecting the rest of the MDC employees to bite the bullet, perhaps the outcome would have been different.

Oh, and as a side note, the State of Florida employees have not gotten a raise since 2006, not even a COLA.

Last edited by carterstamp; 03-16-2011 at 09:02 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2011, 09:09 AM

62,778 posts, read 27,930,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
The MDC employees are not all represented by unions, they received no raises for the past 2 years, and are not paid for 2 holidays out of the year. They did not get benefits increases, and had some trimmed.
Um... if they want raises and benefits increases, taxes have to increase.

Taxes have increased to pay for public services, and the taxpayers are working to recall Alvarez because of that.

Quote:
Try to get the facts before making a blanket statement.
I have the facts. Here they are:
Quote:
"Alvarez came under criticism last year when Miami-Dade, saddled with record high 12 percent unemployment and the same budget deficits faced by many local and state governments, introduced a property tax increase to help fund vital services including police and public schools."
Angry voters oust Miami-Dade mayor in special vote | Reuters

Old 03-16-2011, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Um... if they want raises and benefits increases, taxes have to increase.

Taxes have increased to pay for public services, and the taxpayers are working to recall Alvarez because of that.

I have the facts. Here they are: Angry voters oust Miami-Dade mayor in special vote | Reuters

Read my last post.

Public services such as....transit, police, fire, county hospital, public works, public services, not public service employees.

MDC employees did not get a raise, genius. I know, I live here.

Try to live up to your moniker,

Last edited by carterstamp; 03-16-2011 at 09:45 AM..

Old 03-16-2011, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westwaswon View Post
Alvarez easily won re-election in 2008 as mayor of Miami-Dade, the county of 2.5 million residents that includes the city of Miami. But a recall effort gained momentum last fall when he agreed to a budget that raised the county's property taxes while increasing pay to unionized public employees.

Voters Recall Florida Official - WSJ.com

Oh my goodness that was not the way the union leaders said it would go .

duplicate thread. 75% of MDC employees did not get a raise, nor are they part of a union.

Last edited by carterstamp; 03-16-2011 at 10:04 AM..

Old 03-16-2011, 09:53 AM

Hmmm... the mayor and the county commissioner had "heavy support from the county public employee unions and county insiders."
Miami-Dade recall vote: Mayor and county commissioner tossed out of office - South Florida Sun-Sentinel.com

Victory for the taxpayers; greedy public employee unions lose.

Old 03-16-2011, 10:05 AM

What's interesting about this is that a Republican was recalled for giving in to union demands.

Quote:
"a recall effort gained momentum last fall when he [the mayor] agreed to a budget that raised the county's property taxes while increasing pay to unionized public employees."
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...339123856.html

The message should be perfectly clear: give in to the unions' greedy demands (which means tax increases), and face the wrath of the taxpayers. Political party is irrelevant.

Old 03-16-2011, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Read my last post.

Public services such as....transit, police, fire, county hospital, public works, public services, not public service employees.

MDC employees did not get a raise, genius. I know, I live here.

Try to live up to your moniker,
Seems I know a lot more about the facts than you do.

A Republican was recalled for giving in to union demands.
Quote:
"a recall effort gained momentum last fall when he [the mayor] agreed to a budget that raised the county's property taxes while increasing pay to unionized public employees."
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...339123856.html

The message should be perfectly clear: give in to the unions' greedy demands (which means tax increases), and face the wrath of the taxpayers. Political party is irrelevant.

Old 03-16-2011, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Seems I know a lot more about the facts than you do.

A Republican was recalled for giving in to union demands. http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...339123856.html

Again, and read slowly this time, 73% of the MDC employees are non-union. The raises he gave were Police Fire and teachers.

I live here, I know who are and are not union.

btw, I voted for the recall-I just don't blame the public service employees.

Old 03-16-2011, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Again, and read slowly this time, 73% of the MDC employees are non-union. The raises he gave were Police Fire and teachers.
And that alone was enough to prompt a recall!

Do I need to say it again? The taxpayers have spoken. Give in to union demands, increase taxes to pay for it, and consider yourself out of a job regardless of political party.

Old 03-16-2011, 11:06 AM

Quote:
And that alone was enough to prompt a recall!

Do I need to say it again? The taxpayers have spoken. Give in to union demands, increase taxes to pay for it, and consider yourself out of a job regardless of political party.

Nope, not that alone, there were several other reasons for the recall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies