Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is homophobia just as bad as racism?
Yes 93 55.69%
No 68 40.72%
Not sure 6 3.59%
Voters: 167. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 04:12 PM

1,219 posts, read 1,747,319 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
Not at all. I got the feeling that you were ignoring the "irrational" part of the definition. I have simply never met anyone with an irrational fear of homosexuals or homosexuality.

I don't know anyone that actually fears them.
If you have so many issues with gays calling bigots homophobes, what would you propose that they call them? And the word did not come from "the left" but from psychiatrists who could not find any rational reason why people would discriminate against homosexuals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2011, 04:14 PM

How any form of hate can "be worse" has got to be one of the dumbest questions ever, hate is hate, period. Racism and Homophobia (or whatever you want to call discrimination against gays) are equally evil and both show the sign of a less intelligent human being. If you hate people for something as dumb as the color of their skin or who they love, then you really are an unevolved human being.

Old 03-16-2011, 04:15 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,294,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatDJohns View Post
You should have to tolerate gays, we have to tolerate your idiotic opinions.
Do you feel better now?

Old 03-16-2011, 04:15 PM

9,949 posts, read 8,819,763 times
Quote:
You should have to tolerate gays, we have to tolerate your idiotic opinions.
You don't have to tolerate anything, you just become an extreme hypocrite when you claim to be tolerant and you turn around and hate everyone who doesn't agree with you while trying to stop their opinions from being heard. I don't "tolerate gays" because to me they're just people and I tolerate people unless they do something to me to cause that to change.

Old 03-16-2011, 04:17 PM

Quote:
How any form of hate can "be worse" has got to be one of the dumbest questions ever, hate is hate, period. Racism and Homophobia (or whatever you want to call discrimination against gays) are equally evil and both show the sign of a less intelligent human being. If you hate people for something as dumb as the color of their skin or who they love, then you really are an unevolved human being.
What about those who hate others because of something they say or believe? The hate coming from a few of the gay members in this thread alone is incredible, you simply can't talk about homosexuality around here without being attacked and called a bigot homophobe when that couldn't be further from the truth.

Old 03-16-2011, 04:18 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,809,751 times
Yes.

Old 03-16-2011, 04:19 PM

4,426 posts, read 5,900,339 times
both are the same in that you mistreat or misthink about someone based on something they can't control.. something that is who they are...

christians compare homosexuals to criminals in somehow equating it to the lump bucket of "sin" like somehow they chose to sin...
which is wrong, misguided, false, and ridiculous...
someone is gay because they are born that way.. other sexual variations might come from abuse or something, but someone that's heterosexual does not BECOME homosexual.. that might be what is being expressed in church houses, but it's just not the case

Old 03-16-2011, 04:20 PM

17,290 posts, read 29,294,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
I sure couldn't agree more.
That's fine. As long as you understand that it is YOUR opinion on the subject is the one that's without foundation in accepted science or any other non-mythological basis, we're good.

Old 03-16-2011, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseguy View Post
both are the same in that you mistreat or misthink about someone based on something they can't control.. something that is who they are...

christians compare homosexuals to criminals in somehow equating it to the lump bucket of "sin" like somehow they chose to sin...
which is wrong, misguided, false, and ridiculous...
someone is gay because they are born that way.. other sexual variations might come from abuse or something, but someone that's heterosexual does not BECOME homosexual.. that might be what is being expressed in church houses, but it's just not the case
"Misthink"? Are we talking about the thought police now?

Old 03-16-2011, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
What about those who hate others because of something they say or believe? The hate coming from a few of the gay members in this thread alone is incredible, you simply can't talk about homosexuality around here without being attacked and called a bigot homophobe when that couldn't be further from the truth.
As long as you dont push your beliefs on others, or create laws that force others to adhere to your beliefs, its still hate and its still wrong. People around the world are killed due to their religious beliefs everyday and, in my mind, its still a disgusting form of hate.

However, if you say "I hate blacks" and sombody calls you a bigot, you're not being attacked for your beliefs, you're being called out on your beliefs. And I dont mean you're racist, I was just trying to show an example.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies