U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is homophobia just as bad as racism?
Yes 93 55.69%
No 68 40.72%
Not sure 6 3.59%
Voters: 167. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-16-2011, 04:25 PM

9,958 posts, read 7,320,508 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
That's fine. As long as you understand that it is YOUR opinion on the subject is the one that's without foundation in accepted science or any other non-mythological basis, we're good.
What's great is that you don't get to dismiss someone's opinions simply because they don't jive with your own opinions. We know you take this very seriously and you have no trouble attacking those who don't agree with you but understand this, people like myself who support gay rights get really fed up when they're called bigots and homophobes for even talking about homosexuality. I don't agree with homosexuality but I support your right to marry whoever you want and I support you having all the legal rights as a straight person, when you call me a homophobe or bigot I tend to back off of that support a little.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2011, 04:26 PM

25,165 posts, read 47,343,585 times
Will you attend my disco themed wedding? j/k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
What's great is that you don't get to dismiss someone's opinions simply because they don't jive with your own opinions. We know you take this very seriously and you have no trouble attacking those who don't agree with you but understand this, people like myself who support gay rights get really fed up when they're called bigots and homophobes for even talking about homosexuality. I don't agree with homosexuality but I support your right to marry whoever you want and I support you having all the legal rights as a straight person, when you call me a homophobe or bigot I tend to back off of that support a little.

Old 03-16-2011, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatDJohns View Post
As long as you dont push your beliefs on others, or create laws that force others to adhere to your beliefs, its still hate and its still wrong. People around the world are killed due to their religious beliefs everyday and, in my mind, its still a disgusting form of hate.

However, if you say "I hate blacks" and sombody calls you a bigot, you're not being attacked for your beliefs, you're being called out on your beliefs. And I dont mean you're racist, I was just trying to show an example.
I get what you're saying but you're not listening to me at all. I don't hate gay people in any way at all, I just don't agree that homosexuality is right. I don't expect you to turn straight, I don't think you have a choice in the matter and I don't expect you to do anything to make me happy. I support your right to marry along with all rights that straight people enjoy, I just don't see homosexuality in a positive light. That's my OPINION, that doesn't mean I don't have a lot of homosexual friends because frankly I like homosexuals a lot more than alcoholics and I have a lot of drunkard friends too. I'm not doing anything or passing any laws that take away or block your rights and I sure as hell don't hate you nor am I fearful of you.

Old 03-16-2011, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Will you attend my disco themed wedding? j/k
I thought you hated the idea of marriage?

My only sister is openly gay and lives with her girlfriend (who I like a lot more than any guy she ever dated) and I sure as hell would attend her wedding.

Old 03-16-2011, 04:33 PM

11,425 posts, read 16,675,196 times
Quote:
That's fine. As long as you understand that it is YOUR opinion on the subject is the one that's without foundation in accepted science or any other non-mythological basis, we're good.
Thats your opinion, your free to have it, i'll stick with common sense.

Old 03-16-2011, 04:36 PM

17,286 posts, read 24,984,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
Let's see if this registers:

You don't GET to have an "opinion" about someone or something innate to an individual, and expect that people will give your "opinion" credence and respect... ESPECIALLY when your OPINION relates to whether people get to live their lives freely and without interference from morality police (many of whom, ironically, claim to be "freedom loving Amurikans").

Do you have any idea how uneducated and ridiculous some of you sound? Do you not understand that when you say you "disagree with homosexuality" it's like saying you're "against" red headed people? Or that you "disagree" with being black?

But hey, I agree... everyone is entitled to an opinion on anything, as misguided and ignorant as it may be. I am glad you support equal rights, because my real problem is with those that use their "opinions" to justify the restriction of civil rights for people who aren't harming anyone. Then, they really are being a BIGOT and deserve to be called out on it. It is my view that if you can't justify or defend your opinions, don't express them! I fyou can't defend an outrageous opinion, and don't want to be called a bigot? Hold your opinions to yourself!

Old 03-16-2011, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
Thats your opinion, your free to have it, i'll stick with common sense.
Lol, common sense and six pack will get you far in some circles. Outside the conservative group-think bubble, however, you'll find the rest of the civilized world passing you by.

Ignorance is bliss, as they say.

Old 03-16-2011, 04:41 PM

11,425 posts, read 16,675,196 times
Quote:
Ignorance is bliss, as they say.
I'm sure you know.

Old 03-16-2011, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
I'm sure you know.
I'd defer to your expertise.

Old 03-16-2011, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Let's see if this registers:

You don't GET to have an "opinion" about someone or something innate to an individual, and expect that people will give your "opinion" credence and respect... ESPECIALLY when your OPINION relates to whether people get to live their lives freely and without interference from morality police (many of whom, ironically, claim to be "freedom loving Amurikans").

Do you have any idea how uneducated and ridiculous some of you sound? Do you not understand that when you say you "disagree with homosexuality" it's like saying you're "against" red headed people? Or that you "disagree" with being black?

But hey, I agree... everyone is entitled to an opinion on anything, as misguided and ignorant as it may be. I am glad you support equal rights, because my real problem is with those that use their "opinions" to justify the restriction of civil rights for people who aren't harming anyone. Then, they really are being a BIGOT and deserve to be called out on it. It is my view that if you can't justify or defend your opinions, don't express them! I fyou can't defend an outrageous opinion, and don't want to be called a bigot? Hold your opinions to yourself!
Holding my opinions to myself isn't an option really, you'll either tolerate them or ignore them, doesn't really matter to me which you choose since I'm stuck doing the same with yours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies