U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is homophobia just as bad as racism?
Yes 93 55.69%
No 68 40.72%
Not sure 6 3.59%
Voters: 167. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 09:23 PM

3,326 posts, read 2,618,349 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlerain View Post
"Heterophobia" is just an excuse to justify homophobia. . .
I dunno. Unless you've experienced heterophobia........I don't think you can really understand it. I mean the feelings of hopelessness, helplessness, The feelings of inadequacy, the fear of losing the career I fought so hard to attain, the impact on my relationship with my family. You just have no idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2011, 09:31 PM

3,455 posts, read 6,174,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchman01 View Post
I dunno. Unless you've experienced heterophobia........I don't think you can really understand it. I mean the feelings of hopelessness, helplessness, The feelings of inadequacy, the fear of losing the career I fought so hard to attain, the impact on my relationship with my family. You just have no idea.
Nice, now you are belittling those who really have experienced something very real...

Not surprisingly I've come to expect as much from conservatives.

Old 03-16-2011, 09:35 PM

3,326 posts, read 2,618,349 times
Quote:
Nice, now you are belittling those who really have experienced something very real...

Actually, I really did experience this. While I may have enhanced it's impact on me I really found it unfair and very frustrating. It was the only time in my life I drank in an effort to deal with it. I wouldn't want to experience that again.

Old 03-16-2011, 09:37 PM

5,200 posts, read 4,114,453 times
Quote:
My first principle was a lesbian. She absolutely hated men. I never had a moment of peace for 7 years. Does that mean I've been a victim of heterophobia?
Quote:
"Heterophobia" is just an excuse to justify homophobia. . .
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Actually, I really did experience this. While I may have enhanced it's impact on me I really found it unfair and very frustrating. It was the only time in my life I drank in an effort to deal with it. I wouldn't want to experience that again.
If there is one, there has to be the other.

Old 03-16-2011, 10:32 PM

10,452 posts, read 10,243,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy5 View Post
Words are important, if we can't agree on meanings of specific words ,how can we truly communicate.

I say, I don't like homosexual acts, not the person. I am accused of 'hating'.

I may disagree with your reasons, but I don't feel I should call you a liar,
or accuse you of hating. Hate is a really strong word. I don't hate anyone.

BTW, we don't often agree, but you are civil, and try to understand others. I appreciate that.
I agree. If we can't even agree on the meaning "homophobic", then how can we discuss homosexuality and homophobia? If people think I'm accusing them of being fearful or hateful, then I can see why they're on the defensive. But when I say "homophobic" I quite literally just mean anyone who disagrees with or disapproves of homosexuality for whatever reason. So in that sense huge debates and flame wars can be started over a simple miscommunication.

I don't hate anyone either. I don't even hate people who claim to hate homosexuals. I hate the misconceptions people have and I hate that so many people let themselves be controlled by fear, but at the end of the day, I don't hate the people.

I appreciate civility from people who disagree with me so I try to be civil myself.

Old 03-16-2011, 10:32 PM

515 posts, read 606,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
There's no such thing as "homophobia". The term "homophobia" has been commandeered to mean anything that is "anti-gay". It connotes an "irrational fear" of gayness, but it's actually used by the pro-gay contingent to describe anyone who is against homosexuality.

"Racism" is in a category of its own.

Neither subject is justified. But both are condoned.
Correct!

I suggest that we start throwing arond the term "heterophobia"!

Especially for those "gays" (another hi-jacked word!) who often scream "birthers" at us.

Old 03-16-2011, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
Using common sense and the most basic knowledge of biology and physiology it's pretty clear that homosexuality in humans is unnatural.
This assumes that natural means "resulting in direct production of babies." However, while homosexuality doesn't directly lead to offspring, it does increase clutch size for some species. In other words, it doesn't make babies but it makes females ten times more fertile. In that way homosexuality could be seen as a means for reproduction, albeit a less direct one.

Another thing to consider is that if something being unnatural is grounds for disapproval, then why don't people who disapprove of homosexuality also disapprove of nail polish and asphalt roads and the myriad of other unnatural things we do and make every day?

Last edited by nimchimpsky; 03-16-2011 at 10:42 PM..

Old 03-16-2011, 10:35 PM

515 posts, read 606,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meemy View Post
Correct!

I suggest that we start throwing arond the term "heterophobia"!

Especially for those "gays" (another hi-jacked word!) who often scream "birthers" at us.
Oops! Looks like I shoulda read more of this thread before I chimed in...carry on.

Old 03-16-2011, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya View Post
The poster is also incorrect as phobia does mean "fear of" as exemplified by agoraphobia-fear of open spaces
claustrophobia-fear of enclosed spaces
Arachnophobia-fear of spiders
Ophidiophobia -fear of snakes
Acrophobia-fear of heights. etc etc etc.
Phobia refers to fear when discussing phobias specifically. But it also has a wider definition of repelling in chemistry, dislike in sociology, etc. For example, a xenophobe is defined as an irrational dislike of foreigners. It doesn't necessarily always mean fear. However, any linguist will tell you that any word, or part of a word, has a range of meanings, depending on the context. For example, a hyperbole in math refers to an hourglass shape but in literature refers to an exaggeration, and ellipses in math and grammar also refer to two quite different things--an oval shape vs. the punctuation mark "...". Likewise, "phobia" refers to a fear in some contexts, such as psychology, and refers to a simple dislike or disapproval in other contexts, such as sociology, and refers to a atomic repulsion in chemistry. Neither definition is more correct than the other; each definition is simply specific to the context. One of the communication errors people make in discussing homophobia is that some people understand it in the literal sense of fear whereas others understand it simply in the sense of dislike or disapproval of homosexuality.

Old 03-16-2011, 10:43 PM

639 posts, read 1,085,213 times
No, being gay or acting overtly gay is a choice. Even if you are gay you don't have to wear lipstick and say "fabulous" every 10 words, if you act normal ppl won't even know your gay unless your always making out with men in public or talking about being gay.

Someones skin color is not a choice so I think it's much worse to be racist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies