Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is homophobia just as bad as racism?
Yes 93 55.69%
No 68 40.72%
Not sure 6 3.59%
Voters: 167. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 10:31 PM

1,770 posts, read 2,891,128 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Is homophobia as bad as racism? I don't get it. What's wrong with racism?

Signed,
A True Conservative
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2011, 10:35 PM

5,719 posts, read 6,428,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
There's no such thing as "homophobia". The term "homophobia" has been commandeered to mean anything that is "anti-gay". It connotes an "irrational fear" of gayness, but it's actually used by the pro-gay contingent to describe anyone who is against homosexuality.

"Racism" is in a category of its own.

Neither subject is justified. But both are condoned.
I strongly disagree. Being against gays is one thing -- it's not homophobia. If you don't like gays, you don't like them. To actually care to the point of advocating that they be denied basic human rights IS homophobia.

Old 03-16-2011, 10:39 PM

1,770 posts, read 2,891,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juppiter View Post
I strongly disagree. Being against gays is one thing -- it's not homophobia. If you don't like gays, you don't like them. To actually care to the point of advocating that they be denied basic human rights IS homophobia.
This.
Look, if someone wants to watch TV and see some black guy and they go "UGH, (N-WORD)"... whatever. Seriously, if you are in your home.. say what you want.

Same goes for when the EMBARRASSMENT to gays Carson Kressley shows up.. I'm sure 99% of everyone watching goes "UGH (OTHER WORD FOR BUNDLE OF STICKS)".

Those are opinions. It's still pretty wrong/taboo, just in the sense of being a good person.. but still.

When you go out of your way to bother people, that's where the problems begin!
"THATS OUR WATER FOUNTAIN, YOU COLORED "
"THATS OUR MARRIAGE, YOU SHORT HAIRED MANISH LADY! "

^ Wrong and interferes in lives.

"UGH, FINE, USE OUR WATER FOUNTAIN, YOU COLORED! "
"UGH, FINE, GET MARRIED TO YOUR EQUALLY MANISH LADY FRIEND! "

^ MEAN/RUDE, BUT, it doesn't interfere, so I wouldn't really call that racist or homophobic.

Old 03-16-2011, 11:27 PM

204 posts, read 200,508 times
If there actually was a condition known as homophobia, (a word which gained popularity in about the 1970's), it certainly cannot be compared to racism. Racism was a prejudice resulting from assumed racial superiority. As much as those who practice homosexuality, would like to accuse Christians, and those who simply find the behavior unnatural, or even repulsive, of committing an act of bigotry or prejudice, the fact remains that largely due to deeply engrained beliefs surrounding religion and biblical instruction,the behavior is rejected. It would be absolutely incorrect to assume that fear is the motivating catalyst in negative responses to homosexuality.

Irrefutable evidence of homosexuality being anything other than a behavior produced by experiences and/or environment, has not been presented. Environment and experiences also happen to be what influences sexual orientation to a significant extent.You have to give them their props though, for all of the hoopla stirred by pro-homosexual activists, but at the end of the day, it's the equivalent to a celebration for Ground Hog Day, Yay!

As an African American living in the year 2011, I've only experienced racism in very small doses, but have been told countless stories from grandparents regarding a much more racially divided nation of an earlier time. Skin color is not a behavior, and homosexuality is not a race, but rather, is the preferred behavior of a large number of men and women who share common sexual interests. The issue of homosexuality has become a matter of personal perspective over the years, for some, and a matter of moral/religious adherence for others. I have never struggled with homosexuality and have never had the desire to experiment in the behavior, but I believe I can safely assume that those who have openly identified themselves as 'gay' or 'lesbian', are subjected, in different ways, to mixed responses from society, but wait, everyone is subjected to mixed responses to society. Could this possibly mean that there are other types of bullying issues which are possibly being overshadowed by the propaganda induced tunnel vision of the liberal manager's of our educational system? What about the Fatophobes and Geekophobes? The safe schools czar really has his work cut out for him, or perhaps he's suffering from a pretend condition all his own, I think I'll call it 'pushmyagendaism'.

Even so, those who still adhere to the biblical definition of homosexuality as sin, cannot be casually diagnosed as having some type of phobia. This is irresponsibility on the part of those within the pseudo-medical profession, whose valuable online degrees are going to waste, (very sad). For those who actually know anything about phobias, (which unfortunately does not include George Weinberg, a psychotherapist, who jumped on the pro-homosexual band wagon which was gaining momentum in the late 60's to early 70's, which helped to give the fictitious condition of homophobia, a little popularity), genuine phobias are debilitating illnesses which can prevent some people from functioning normally within society, sometimes requiring medication for stabilization.

In the early 2000's, the International Human Genome Consortium revealed its long awaited conclusion regarding the isolation of the so-called 'gay gene'. As with many other tests of this sort, as the world undoubtedly held its breath in anticipation, alas it came to nothing. Homosexuals have been compared to fruit flies, and a number of other bi-sexual woodland creatures, as pro-homosexual supporters scramble to find even a shred of conclusive scientific or physiological evidence substantiating that this disorder is something other than a perversion.

As I've said before, gay marriage will eventually make its way into other states,(though not in Maryland any time soon), but homosexuality will 'never' be fully acknowledged as normal sexual behavior by the majority of Americans, though many within that majority, though not in support of this behavior, strangely choose to remain silent on the issue. Perhaps this is a symptom of the dreaded condition of homophobia, which may later require the invention of a pretend medication. Homophobacillin?

Last edited by Pennsylvanian1; 03-17-2011 at 12:47 AM..

Old 03-17-2011, 06:06 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,600,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
It is hard to disagree with the rest of it, but since this thread is about homosexuality and you have an aversion/dislike/hatred/condemnation for homosexuals... you qualify as one.

We can easily settle this if you shared here why you oppose gay marriage.
that seems like a rather closed-minded, narrow point of view. Why do you get to define me?

Old 03-17-2011, 07:29 AM

3,325 posts, read 3,161,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy5 View Post
If there is one, there has to be the other.
Funny you should mention that.

source
Quote:
PROVINCETOWN, Mass. — Heterosexuals in this overwhelmingly gay resort town on the tip of Cape Cod are complaining that the oppressed have become the oppressors.

Straight people say they have been taunted as "breeders." One woman who signed a petition against gay marriage says she was berated as a bigot by a gay man, and another complained that dog feces were left next to her car.

"The gay community is not immune to having potential prejudices. We're all human, including gay people," said Tom Lang, director of knowthyneighbor.org, a nonprofit group that supports gay marriage.......

Old 03-17-2011, 07:54 AM

17,290 posts, read 29,328,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
I've never met someone who took the word "phobic" so literally in this context. "Hydrophobic" literally means "afraid of water" but chemists use it to describe substances that chemically repel water. Likewise the "phobic" in "homophobic" isn't meant to denote literal fear, so much as just a negative view or disapproval of homosexuality.
Exactly.

The posters who hang up on words do this in EVERY thread because they cannot argue the issue. Instead, they are over semantics and word etymology. "Taking things literally" is a problem for them... be it in discussions about the Bible, or the Constitution... they've never developed that ability to understand that words evolve, have multiple meaning and do not exist in a vacuum.

Oh well.

Old 03-17-2011, 08:47 AM

6,414 posts, read 10,462,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h0tmess View Post
Cool story bro, but it fails logic.
A heterosexual athiest male and a heterosexual athiest female marry each other. They don't believe in god, they don't care for churches, religion--ANYTHING "HOLY"

Yet,
Their relationship is a holy covenant between them and god? This makes no sense. (Unsurprisingly).

Two people get married NOT in a church, NOT with a priest or minister, and somehow they are still connect it with god, LMAO!!
A civil marriage in the court does not mention god. So you are wrong on that one.

Old 03-17-2011, 08:55 AM

6,414 posts, read 10,462,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
"TheDragonslayer;18307070] it is you that is mentally confused by a bigoted antiquated book."

That would be the Book you wrote about are you confused again? and I'm not your Boy. Your mentioning a book again oh wow your a mess you say you didn't then turn around and do it again, and I'll say it once more I read no book that said anything agianst Homosexuals, you continue to fail.

Again you try to push your will on me by telling me to keep my beliefs to myself? Hah Who do you think you are? more proof of your mental confusion
Like i always say, your free to your opinion. I'm not trying to tell you what to believe.
You are so confused that you put words in that others never say. You have no clue at all. I am not confused, not matter how many times you say it, yet you will remain locked in your little world of bigotry. It is you that is trying to push your straight agenda on me. Get a life, and I never called you, "your boy" Where do you come with all the BS of yours. GET LOST.

Old 03-17-2011, 08:57 AM

37,883 posts, read 21,983,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post
A lot of people seem to compare homophobia to racism. Explain why some would think so.

Do you think homophobia is bad as racism or worse?
You are discussing two completely different things.

Any phobia is an irrational fear, or a fear of the unknown, I don't see how you can compare that to a person who feels they are superior to persons of another race.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies