Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is homophobia just as bad as racism?
Yes 93 55.69%
No 68 40.72%
Not sure 6 3.59%
Voters: 167. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 09:57 AM

3,325 posts, read 3,161,648 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
Not all genetic conditions can be traced to a single gene. Genetic conditions are often a result of the interaction of multiple genes, and oftentimes, the environment does play a factor. Take Usher's Syndrome (http://www.nidcd.nih.gov/health/hearing/usher.htm - broken link), for example. It's proven to be a genetic condition, and causes deafness and blindness, but it comes in different degrees: Type 1, Type 2, Type 3, and subtypes a and b because it's a result of multiple genes interacting with each other. And more is still being studied--for example, why do two people with the same gene patterns for Usher's end up losing their hearing or vision at different points in their life and to different degrees? There are doctors that devote their entire career to studying Usher's. But that doesn't make the deafness and blindness that Usher's people experience any less real just because it can't be owed to one single gene or because there are still things doctors don't know about Usher's.

The environment may trigger a gene or a set of genes to turn on or off. To equate homosexuality with one single gene, completely independent of environmental factors, is to put a tremendously simplistic twist on a scientific issue that is still being studied today.

In any case, even if it were purely a choice for each person, what does that matter? Homosexuality isn't harmful. As long as any sexual practice is done privately between consenting adults, no one's getting hurt.
I agree with you. Now, about gay marriage, I don't support it. About this administrations refusal to protect doma in court, I don't support that. In regards to recinding dadt, I can't say I support that either. Am I now a homophobe?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

9,949 posts, read 8,830,424 times
Quote:
Do you buy into the definition of xenophobia and ephebiphobia?
I guess that would greatly depend on the definition you've chosen to use. Why don't you provide them and I'll answer your question.

178 posts, read 266,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
I view homosexuality as unnatural because it goes against the natural design or evolution of the human body. Whether a person reproduces or not doesn't matter to me, that's their choice. I'm simply talking about the physical aspects of the male and female body are designed in ways that compliment each other whereas a male and male or female and female body do not. Whether homosexuality is something that is chosen or something that a person is born with doesn't matter to me, I'm only talking about the physical design of the human species.
exactly.

Old 03-17-2011, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Should people who have a desire to shave and wear nailpolish also seek help? Shaving and nailpolish are unnatural. After all, our nails evolved to breathe, and we evolved to have body hair in order to keep warm.
Well, in all fairness, accepting/encouraging/rewarding homosexual behavior or shaving or using nailpolish have more to do with culture than nature.

Old 03-17-2011, 10:01 AM

Quote:
You've explained you view homosexuality as wrong and unnatural, but haven't given a reason why as far as I can tell. If you have, I have missed it and it would be helpful if you could repeat it again.

Unnatural based on what? How is that not viewing homosexuality as based on the inability to reproduce?
.........I dunno, something to do with the design and purpose of the body's sexual organs perhaps?

Old 03-17-2011, 10:02 AM

178 posts, read 266,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchman01 View Post
I agree with you. Now, about gay marriage, I don't support it. About this administrations refusal to protect doma in court, I don't support that. In regards to recinding dadt, I can't say I support that either. Am I now a homophobe?
gay marrage should not be supported because marrage is a religious institution. and in christian religion, homosexuality is condemed

Old 03-17-2011, 10:09 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,430,601 times
Quote:
Depends on your reasoning behind it. I'm opposed to gay marriage because I'm opposed to marriage itself. But I'm gay myself. Even though I think marriage is stupid, I still believe others should be allowed the option to make if that's what they want, and as a result, even though I'm personally against marriage of any kind, I don't have any desire to ban or withhold any consenting adults from getting married. That said, my reason behind being against gay marriage is obviously not homophobic in nature given the fact I'm gay myself and view homosexuality as completely natural.

Old 03-17-2011, 10:11 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,430,601 times
Quote:
.........I dunno, something to do with the design and purpose of the body's sexual organs perhaps?
I was pointing out to Backspace that she/he (sorry I can never tell gender online) is just phrasing "the inability to reproduce" as a reason, just in different words.

Old 03-17-2011, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambogojo View Post
gay marrage should not be supported because marrage is a religious institution. and in christian religion, homosexuality is condemed
From the christians's pont of view, yes. However, I approach this from a different perspective. While I genuinely like and (mostly) respect christians I consider myself an agnostic.

I tend to view marriage and the man/woman/lifetime marriage model as a great way for a society to procreate and enculturate good citizens for society. Encouraging such insitutions works well for traditional societies.

Old 03-17-2011, 10:14 AM

Quote:
I was pointing out to Backspace that she/he (sorry I can never tell gender online) is just phrasing "the inability to reproduce" as a reason, just in different words.
Oops, I should have read the whole thing. Apologies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies