Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is homophobia just as bad as racism?
Yes 93 55.69%
No 68 40.72%
Not sure 6 3.59%
Voters: 167. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 11:23 AM

11,466 posts, read 19,306,753 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatDJohns View Post
Why would gay people be happy that straight people are still around? Straight people are the ones who constantly cause problems for gays.
And how is that, Straight people are not the ones crying about being bullied although almost everyone has been, Straight folk didn't cry about civil unions but Homosexuals can't be happy unless they redefine marriage which they have done, Straights are not crying to teach kids about how Homosexuals are normal but Homosexuals push it into the schools. Who's causing trouble? Homosexuals cause most of their own problems, they have to shout out for people to accept them, tolerate them and embrace their life style instead of just fitting in. Homosexuals act like spoiled children trying to get their way and they are getting it until people get sick of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2011, 11:23 AM

3,451 posts, read 7,038,290 times
[quote=Dutchman01;18319298]
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlerain View Post
You are certainly welcome to your opinion that it is deviant behavior...but your opinion doesn't make it so.

In a statistical sense, yes it is a deviation from the norm...but I fail to see a problem with that.[[/i]QUOTE]

How bout STD's?
Lesbians get far fewer STD's than any other segment of the population.

Certain STD's are more common in heterosexuals than homosexuals, such as herpes, syphilis and HPV. Gonorrhea rates are about the same.

HIV is an equal opportunity offender, but in some countries, the prime method of exposure is heterosexual contact.

Try again...

Old 03-17-2011, 11:24 AM

3,767 posts, read 4,516,242 times
Quote:
Actually, you did not answer my question...because letting homosexuals get married does nothing to the institution of marriage.
Homosexuals are allowed to get married. This assumes the definition of marriage is understood.
We can't go further if we can't agree on basics.

Old 03-17-2011, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
For one thing, it changes the definition of marriage. Since I am married, I don't care to have it changed.
Yes it changes the definition...but it has absolutely no effect on your marriage.

Old 03-17-2011, 11:28 AM

3,325 posts, read 3,160,426 times
Quote:
Actually, you did not answer my question...because letting homosexuals get married does nothing to the institution of marriage.

Before my partner of 20+ years died, I cherished, and honored him too, how does that change your marriage?

Try again.
I didn't answer it to your satisfaction. I will never be able to do that because you only want to hear one thing. I can't give you that. You will never understand that. You have your own cultural norms. You don't want to abandon them just to satisfy the demands of others. Neither do I.

BTW, my condolences on your loss.

Old 03-17-2011, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchman01 View Post
I didn't answer it to your satisfaction. I will never be able to do that because you only want to hear one thing. I can't give you that. You will never understand that. You have your own cultural norms. You don't want to abandon them just to satisfy the demands of others. Neither do I.

BTW, my condolences on your loss.
Thank you for being honest...in my opinion your statement that you can't answer my question to my satisfaction. is the most honest and direct answer to that question that I've seen.

Old 03-17-2011, 11:42 AM

[quote=seattlerain;18319378]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchman01 View Post

Lesbians get far fewer STD's than any other segment of the population.

Certain STD's are more common in heterosexuals than homosexuals, such as herpes, syphilis and HPV. Gonorrhea rates are about the same.

HIV is an equal opportunity offender, but in some countries, the prime method of exposure is heterosexual contact.

Try again...
Equal opportunity perhaps but something like 2-3% of the population still account for some 50% of all new cases. Remarkable, if you give it some thought.

source
Quote:
In the United States, about one third of HIV/AIDS cases newly diagnosed in 2007 resulted from heterosexual encounters, the most rapidly growing transmission category. Male to male sexual contact accounted for about half of new cases, and intravenous drug use contributed about a fifth of cases.

Last edited by Dutchman01; 03-17-2011 at 11:51 AM..

Old 03-17-2011, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Thank you for being honest...in my opinion your statement that you can't answer my question to my satisfaction. is the most honest and direct answer to that question that I've seen.
You're welcome. For what it's worth. I don't dislike homosexuals. I'm not afraid of them. I've worked with a couple of homosexuals whom I thought very highly of. I'm a teacher today because of an uncle of mine, who was a teacher and who just happened to be gay. He was a role model for me when I really needed one. I love and adore that man. I always will.

Old 03-17-2011, 11:50 AM

1,219 posts, read 1,748,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
All straight people cause gay people problems? It seems like that's a pretty ignorant thing to say, if you didn't have a huge number of straight people supporting your cause you would NEVER make any progress since you represent such a small percentage of the overall population. I suggest you rethink what you said.
If we didnt have a huge number of straight people trying to make our lives difficult, we wouldnt have a cause that needs to be supported.

Old 03-17-2011, 11:56 AM

9,949 posts, read 8,826,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatDJohns View Post
If we didnt have a huge number of straight people trying to make our lives difficult, we wouldnt have a cause that needs to be supported.
Well that's logical, let's blame a huge number of people who are on our side for causing our problems... seems like a great idea.

As I've said a few times, I fully support gay rights and really don't care either way about gay marriage but when you attack me (as a straight person) and blame me for all your problems my willingness to support you starts to drop drastically. I'm not going to support anyone who isn't smart enough to appreciate the people who are supporting them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies