Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is homophobia just as bad as racism?
Yes 93 55.69%
No 68 40.72%
Not sure 6 3.59%
Voters: 167. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 02:43 PM

3,325 posts, read 3,169,722 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky;18333982[I
]Are you seriously arguing that people choose abuse, torture, ostracism, abandonment, forced sex change, etc. "just because they want to go against the grain"? Did you really just compare someone running off and cheating with someone who is forced into isolation and raped on a regular basis by their community?[/i]It's true, some people do like to be different, stand out, be special. I can understand that argument for people who wear rainbow paraphernalia, like something to be mad about, etc. in an environment where the worst that happens is someone calls you f*g. But I have never met a human being that would willing accept the kind of abuses I outlined because they just want to stand out a bit. Even if there were some people that took it that far, it would be a very small minority. Iran is only second to Thailand in the number of sex changes it performs every year. That's a lot of people getting sex changes for a "choice they made". That's one hell of a price to pay for "wanting" to be a little different.
Yes I did. BTW you left out thomas more who chose beheading rather than say, I hate the pope. Fortunes, kingdoms, and reputations have been lost to doing things against the grain. Human beings are not inherently logical beings. If you don't believe me I suggest reading a few history books. You'll be amazed at some of the things people choose to do.

In regards to how homosexuals are treated in other cultures. Yes, they are often treated very badly. All cultures have their norms of behavior and, sometimes, awful consequences for straying from the fold. I believe this is something to keep in mind when criticizing the various cultures/sub-cultures of the west. For all of our faults I believe we are far more tolerant than many of the other cultures that share this planet with us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2011, 03:18 PM

5,821 posts, read 5,302,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
I'm not homophobic, I don't hate gay people. As a well educated and logical person I know that homosexuality is unnatural and therefore I look at it as unnatural. It's really not a big deal but homosexuals tend to attack anyone who doesn't go out of their way to support and even promote their agenda which I'm not going to do. I'm also not going to teach my children that homosexuality is natural or normal because it's not.
^^^This.^^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchman01 View Post
In regards to how homosexuals are treated in other cultures. Yes, they are often treated very badly. All cultures have their norms of behavior and, sometimes, awful consequences for straying from the fold. I believe this is something to keep in mind when criticizing the various cultures/sub-cultures of the west. For all of our faults I believe we are far more tolerant than many of the other cultures that share this planet with us.
^^^And this.^^^

Old 03-18-2011, 06:12 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,250,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post
A lot of people seem to compare homophobia to racism. Explain why some would think so.

Do you think homophobia is bad as racism or worse?
Depends on how you define homophobia.

If homophobia simply means you think homosexuality is wrong, they aren't the same. However, if homophobia is discriminating against gays and wanting to take their rights (i.e. employment, hospital visits, etc), or even further wanting to physcially harm them or verbally slander them, then it is the same if not worse.

Old 03-19-2011, 01:39 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,665,061 times
Quote:
As a well educated and logical person I know that homosexuality is unnatural and therefore I look at it as unnatural.
You're confusing logic with your gut reaction and opinion. Most "well educated and logical" people do not consider homosexuality to be unnatural because there's a consensus among researchers that says homosexuality is completely natural.

Old 03-19-2011, 08:35 AM

6,414 posts, read 10,490,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PiedmontIBroxx View Post
you can choose to be gay . . can't choose to be black, or a minority . . it's just not comparable . . not saying being homophobic is ok . . im just saying you can't compare it to racism . . not even relatable
Are you straight and when did you make that choice then? Or are you gay and made the choice? Either way, if gays made the choice to be gay, then straights made the choice to be straight. Can you remember when you made that choice and was it honest in that you really had gay feelings? Or have you always felt that gay is not for you, in that case, you were always straight then. We no more make a choice to be gay, they you or any other straight person made the choice to be straight. Get it. The bottom line is that we are being discriminated against for just being gay. We are human too and deserve the same equal rights, not a different set!

Old 03-19-2011, 08:50 AM

6,414 posts, read 10,490,590 times
Quote:
I look at it as a case of right and wrong because I'm being labeled as something that I'm not by people who are misusing a term that I comprehend and they don't. I'm right and they are wrong, that's as simple as it gets. I'm not homophobic, I don't hate gay people, I don't hate homosexuality, I don't do anything to legislate against gay people, I support gay rights and gay marriage and gay "whatevertheFtheywant", etc. As a well educated and logical person I know that homosexuality is unnatural and therefore I look at it as unnatural. It's really not a big deal but homosexuals tend to attack anyone who doesn't go out of their way to support and even promote their agenda which I'm not going to do. I'm also not going to teach my children that homosexuality is natural or normal because it's not.
If you are looking at it as unnatural, it is a big deal to us. You are not 100% in support of gays then, you are indeed biased based on your own conjecture. It is not based on evidence wrought by long research or studies, it is based on your feelings. It is all throughout nature and has been since forever, how much more natural do you want. Do you practice oral sex, because that is not natural, yet it is not condemned. I too am well educated and very logical, does that not matter because I am gay? It is also unnatural to eat cooked food, or wear clothing, you are not up in arms about those. So when you tell me that my relationship of 32 years is unnatural, I take offense and probably so do many other gays and lesbians. If you do not teach your children that homosexuality is normal, you are promoting your agenda that it is not normal and is unnatural. If one of your kids turns out to be gay, they will not tell you and will be afraid to for fear of rejection and admonishment for something that they cannot control. That is why gay kids suffer from depression and suicidal thoughts, all they want is the love, respect and support of a loving parent.

Old 03-19-2011, 11:55 AM

5,821 posts, read 5,302,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonslayer View Post
If you do not teach your children that homosexuality is normal, you are promoting your agenda that it is not normal and is unnatural. If one of your kids turns out to be gay, they will not tell you and will be afraid to for fear of rejection and admonishment for something that they cannot control. That is why gay kids suffer from depression and suicidal thoughts, all they want is the love, respect and support of a loving parent.
I do not think it is normal, and I will promote what is normal. My kids are not gay, they are normal, and have my love, respect and support of a loving parent. I will raise my children and grandchildren as I see fit.

Old 03-19-2011, 11:58 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,098,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy5 View Post
I do not think it is normal, and I will promote what is normal. My kids are not gay, they are normal, and have my love, respect and support of a loving parent. I will raise my children and grandchildren as I see fit.
If any of your children or grandchildren were gay, do you think they would tell you?

Old 03-19-2011, 01:37 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,665,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
If any of your children or grandchildren were gay, do you think they would tell you?
Don't worry too much about it. These people are the same types who were against interracial marriage. Many of them still are, probably. They're dying out.

Old 03-20-2011, 11:20 AM

332 posts, read 532,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonslayer View Post
If you are looking at it as unnatural, it is a big deal to us. You are not 100% in support of gays then, you are indeed biased based on your own conjecture. It is not based on evidence wrought by long research or studies, it is based on your feelings. It is all throughout nature and has been since forever, how much more natural do you want. Do you practice oral sex, because that is not natural, yet it is not condemned. I too am well educated and very logical, does that not matter because I am gay? It is also unnatural to eat cooked food, or wear clothing, you are not up in arms about those. So when you tell me that my relationship of 32 years is unnatural, I take offense and probably so do many other gays and lesbians. If you do not teach your children that homosexuality is normal, you are promoting your agenda that it is not normal and is unnatural. If one of your kids turns out to be gay, they will not tell you and will be afraid to for fear of rejection and admonishment for something that they cannot control. That is why gay kids suffer from depression and suicidal thoughts, all they want is the love, respect and support of a loving parent.
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy5 View Post
(Im also quoting backspace)

I might disagree with the comments I am quoting here. While homosexuality may not be normal based on the percentage of the population that identify as it, it IS DEFINITELY NATURAL. Looking at the whole animal and plant kingdoms, as taught in school, there are many instances of same sex relationships of various degrees along with the ones that reproduce WITHOUT males. So by saying that homosexuality is unnatural is a quite scientifically wrong assumption. (I do think homosexuality is normal too, just fyi)

Instead of looking it that way, I suggest parents should look at homosexuality in a different way since having kids changes perceptions. I truly suggest you questioning yourself by asking IF my child is gay or bi or whatever, what should I do, instead of telling your kids it is wrong.

In my case, if I ever have children, I would slowly talk to them based on their maturity about sex, sexuality, etc of all life. Most likely start getting into same sex stuff around age 10-13 since that is the time where those with doubts start really questioning or persuing their attractions of either sex.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies