U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Is homophobia just as bad as racism?
Yes 93 55.69%
No 68 40.72%
Not sure 6 3.59%
Voters: 167. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-20-2011, 07:47 PM
 
10,452 posts, read 10,224,950 times
Reputation: 12496

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
I look at it as a case of right and wrong because I'm being labeled as something that I'm not by people who are misusing a term that I comprehend and they don't. I'm right and they are wrong, that's as simple as it gets. I'm not homophobic, I don't hate gay people, I don't hate homosexuality, I don't do anything to legislate against gay people, I support gay rights and gay marriage and gay "whatevertheFtheywant", etc. As a well educated and logical person I know that homosexuality is unnatural and therefore I look at it as unnatural. It's really not a big deal but homosexuals tend to attack anyone who doesn't go out of their way to support and even promote their agenda which I'm not going to do. I'm also not going to teach my children that homosexuality is natural or normal because it's not.
I'm not talking about whether homosexuality actually is right or wrong. I'm just talking about how people use the word "homophobic". Why is the way you use it right and the way they use it wrong? People use words differently all the time, and neither of them are right or wrong. They just use the word differently. It would help if folks who use the word "homophobic" to mean gay-fearing and hateful of gays understand that people sometimes just mean it to refer to anyone that views homosexuality as unnatural (which you've clearly stated you do, so by that definition of "homophobic", you're homophobic) and the folks who use it to mean disapproving/disagreeing with homosexuality often understand it to mean fearful/hateful, so when they call the gay-disagreers/disapprovers homophobic, it's the equivalent of saying they hate or fear gays. It's not even asking you to promote an agenda, or agree with homosexuality or anything. It just helps everyone in the discussion if they realize the same word is being used differently by different people. So when a gay rights activist calls you homophobic, don't take it to mean hateful or fearful, take it for how they probably mean it, which is just that you view homosexuality as unnatural--which you do (based on what you've said). Likewise, when gay rights activists call you homophobic, they should realize that based on the way you hear it, they are accusing you of hating and fearing gays--which you don't (also based on what you've said). So they should only use that word with you and people who use it the same way you do if they are actually accusing you of hating and fearing gays, and in that case, they should expect you will respond to that accusation and not a mere comment on your opinion of homosexuality.

Last edited by nimchimpsky; 03-20-2011 at 08:02 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-20-2011, 07:58 PM
 
10,452 posts, read 10,224,950 times
Reputation: 12496
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
Wrong, I'm not confusing anything whatsoever and it's possible to find a consensus among researchers to back up any position or opinion that any human has ever come up with.

Let's be honest, any researcher who had the balls to admit that they believe that homosexuality is unnatural or not normal would be attacked by the same attack dog homos that are attacking everyone in this thread who doesn't agree with them. Look at how the gay community attacks ANYTHING or ANYONE who doesn't openly promote or accept their agenda. The difference between those people and myself is my job doesn't depend on my opinion of homosexuality nor would a homosexual boycott/attack affect my daily life at all. The gay community has gone into complete retard mode attacking Chik-Fil-A and that hasn't stopped me in the least bit from enjoying a good chicken sandwich when I want one.
Hasn't stopped me from ordering from Chik-Fil-A either. Oh, and I'm gay.

Not all gay people are hypersensitive with knee-jerk reactions to any opinion besides their own. Some of us use logic and reason. I don't care if Chik-Fil-A hates gays. They're entitled to their opinion. I think it's a stupid business decision to publicize that opinion as it alienates potential customers, but beyond that, I don't care. As long as they're not trying to kill me or hurt me, I will continue to sink my teeth into that seasoned chicken yumminess.

Try not to group us all into one. After all, I'm sure you don't appreciate it when the gay rights groups stick you in the same group as Fred Phelps and Ahmadinejad, all under the heading "homophobes".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-20-2011, 08:01 PM
 
10,452 posts, read 10,224,950 times
Reputation: 12496
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy5 View Post
If they did, I would not change what I believe to be right. My beliefs of right and wrong, are Bible-based, and I do not change views for convenience.


The main reason it is not normal is, Humans need a Male and Female to reproduce. There is a reason the organs are made and shaped the way are.
If God made everything with a specific use in mind, why do so many people still walk around with appendices and tonsils--organs that we can completely live without? Just because everyone has these parts or those parts doesn't mean they absolutely must be used in every relationship for the specific purpose of reproduction. Sometimes God gives us something that we will have little or no use for, and that's OK too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-21-2011, 12:32 AM
 
Location: Palm Springs, CA
26,484 posts, read 24,217,574 times
Reputation: 7672
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
If God made everything with a specific use in mind, why do so many people still walk around with appendices and tonsils--organs that we can completely live without? Just because everyone has these parts or those parts doesn't mean they absolutely must be used in every relationship for the specific purpose of reproduction. Sometimes God gives us something that we will have little or no use for, and that's OK too.
Agree. I'm reminded of the Virginia Supreme Court judge back in 1959 who sentenced an interracial couple to one year in prison for marrying each other. He said that God didn't want whites and blacks to marry because he put them on separate continents.

People will say anything to justify their prejudices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-21-2011, 04:59 AM
 
17,853 posts, read 11,749,501 times
Reputation: 4113
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
"Homophobia is like racism and anti-Semitism and other forms of bigotry in that it seeks to dehumanize a large group of people, to deny their humanity, their dignity and personhood. This sets the stage for further repression and violence that spread all too easily to victimize the next minority group."

-Coretta Scott King
This
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-21-2011, 06:37 AM
 
17,853 posts, read 11,749,501 times
Reputation: 4113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennsylvanian1 View Post
If there actually was a condition known as homophobia, (a word which gained popularity in about the 1970's), it certainly cannot be compared to racism. Racism was a prejudice resulting from assumed racial superiority. As much as those who practice homosexuality, would like to accuse Christians, and those who simply find the behavior unnatural, or even repulsive, of committing an act of bigotry or prejudice, the fact remains that largely due to deeply engrained beliefs surrounding religion and biblical instruction,the behavior is rejected. It would be absolutely incorrect to assume that fear is the motivating catalyst in negative responses to homosexuality.

Irrefutable evidence of homosexuality being anything other than a behavior produced by experiences and/or environment, has not been presented. Environment and experiences also happen to be what influences sexual orientation to a significant extent.You have to give them their props though, for all of the hoopla stirred by pro-homosexual activists, but at the end of the day, it's the equivalent to a celebration for Ground Hog Day, Yay!

As an African American living in the year 2011, I've only experienced racism in very small doses, but have been told countless stories from grandparents regarding a much more racially divided nation of an earlier time. Skin color is not a behavior, and homosexuality is not a race, but rather, is the preferred behavior of a large number of men and women who share common sexual interests. The issue of homosexuality has become a matter of personal perspective over the years, for some, and a matter of moral/religious adherence for others. I have never struggled with homosexuality and have never had the desire to experiment in the behavior, but I believe I can safely assume that those who have openly identified themselves as 'gay' or 'lesbian', are subjected, in different ways, to mixed responses from society, but wait, everyone is subjected to mixed responses to society. Could this possibly mean that there are other types of bullying issues which are possibly being overshadowed by the propaganda induced tunnel vision of the liberal manager's of our educational system? What about the Fatophobes and Geekophobes? The safe schools czar really has his work cut out for him, or perhaps he's suffering from a pretend condition all his own, I think I'll call it 'pushmyagendaism'.

Even so, those who still adhere to the biblical definition of homosexuality as sin, cannot be casually diagnosed as having some type of phobia. This is irresponsibility on the part of those within the pseudo-medical profession, whose valuable online degrees are going to waste, (very sad). For those who actually know anything about phobias, (which unfortunately does not include George Weinberg, a psychotherapist, who jumped on the pro-homosexual band wagon which was gaining momentum in the late 60's to early 70's, which helped to give the fictitious condition of homophobia, a little popularity), genuine phobias are debilitating illnesses which can prevent some people from functioning normally within society, sometimes requiring medication for stabilization.

In the early 2000's, the International Human Genome Consortium revealed its long awaited conclusion regarding the isolation of the so-called 'gay gene'. As with many other tests of this sort, as the world undoubtedly held its breath in anticipation, alas it came to nothing. Homosexuals have been compared to fruit flies, and a number of other bi-sexual woodland creatures, as pro-homosexual supporters scramble to find even a shred of conclusive scientific or physiological evidence substantiating that this disorder is something other than a perversion.

As I've said before, gay marriage will eventually make its way into other states,(though not in Maryland any time soon), but homosexuality will 'never' be fully acknowledged as normal sexual behavior by the majority of Americans, though many within that majority, though not in support of this behavior, strangely choose to remain silent on the issue. Perhaps this is a symptom of the dreaded condition of homophobia, which may later require the invention of a pretend medication. Homophobacillin?
There is so much ignorance and misinformation in this piece of anti-gay propaganda, I wouldnt know where to start.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-21-2011, 10:43 AM
 
6,250 posts, read 5,833,112 times
Reputation: 3544
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
There is so much ignorance and misinformation in this piece of anti-gay propaganda, I wouldnt know where to start.
He can say the same about you just because you disagree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy5 View Post
They won't have babies.

I express my opinion. You insult my religion, yet you think I am a hater? Your name says it all.
I find it interesting how gays are permitted to hate but have someone disagree with them and "oh my gawd, you're full of hate".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennsylvanian1 View Post
This is a clear example of the 'person' vs 'behavior' argument, which consistently cannot be debated, but what can be debated is the fact that most Christians do not fear, or dislike homosexuals, I am very curious to know the scriptures in the book to which you are referring which instructs Christians to condemn homosexuals. That is what we were to gain from the bolded statement. Is it not, assuming that the 'book' to which you were referring is the bible.

The true Christian perspective is difficult to adopt for homosexuals, primarily because it does not fit into the homosexual's desire to equate their behavior with their identity. Agree or disagree with the Christian perspective, but operating under the illusion that Christian's hate, fear, or condemn those who practice the behavior of homosexuality, is a self-deluding or perhaps an assumption, with a deliberate intent to deceive readers.

In the homosexual's efforts to add to their collection of victimizers, when anyone disagrees with the popular liberal conclusions surrounding their lifestyle, it has become common practice to re-invent the perspective of their opposition, (even when it means lying).

The same slippery tactics are applied in discussions as well, especially when the ever-changing, but extremely convenient term 'homophobia' is used. When it suits them, 'homophobia' means irrational fear, which would be consistent with Webster's' definition, but in a discussion the term can conveniently morph into a lesser form of the word which includes anyone who exhibits anything that homosexuals might perceive as a negative attitude toward their lifestyle, and of course it's the homosexual who decides when and how to use the word, which was created as ammunition for tasteful mudslinging.

When science fails, (such as the genome project), simply find pseudo-psychotherapists, and psychologists sympathetic to the homosexual agenda, to create data in favor of their plight. It's no different than the good defense attorney who searches high and low until a so-called expert is found who, for a small fee, will dazzle the jury. After all, with people like Michelangelo, Ellen Degeneres, and fabulous hair dressing celebrities, eventually, who will really care about the unpopular opposing opinions in such a progressive culture as this.

Christianity supports the belief that homosexuality is wrong, but so is adultery, pre-marital sex, and drunkenness. The point is, Christians see these as behaviors, not as traits associated with a person's identity. Homosexuals may disagree with this perspective, as well as what the bible teaches concerning these things, but they cannot rightfully, or in good conscience, accuse all of Christendom of hating homosexuals, or re-invent the Christian perspective by lying concerning their views on the behavior of homosexuality, no matter how well this serves their agenda.
Also, if they are going to say that homosexuality, as a so called sexual preference/orientation, is something people are born with, a gene, something to support, it’s just natural, etc. then how about pedophilia, bestiality, etc. Those are “preferences/orientations” as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-21-2011, 10:56 AM
 
14,920 posts, read 10,720,839 times
Reputation: 4828
Quote:
Originally Posted by onihC View Post
He can say the same about you just because you disagree.

I find it interesting how gays are permitted to hate but have someone disagree with them and "oh my gawd, you're full of hate".
You can tell when someone hates because that person either mistreats or calls for the mistreatment of the object of his hate. Mere dissagreement doesn't equal hate. However, how many people have you met who merely "disagree" with homosexuality? I'm sure one or two exist, but most people who say they "disagree" with homosexuality in fact are hateful bigots as evidenced by their active discrimination against and suppression of homosexuals.

I don't know any gays who "hate" so much that they want either straight people or conservative Christians or homophobes to face institutional discrimination and mistreatment.

Can you point out some hateful gays who advocate for laws outlawing conservative Christianity (perhaps punishing it with the death penalty as homosexuality once was in this country)? Do you know any gays who want to ban heterosexuals from obtaining civil marriage contracts while allowing homosexuals to get married? How about gays who call for a ban on Christian adoption? How about any gays who want to make heterosexual sex illegal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-21-2011, 11:25 AM
 
6,250 posts, read 5,833,112 times
Reputation: 3544
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
You can tell when someone hates because that person either mistreats or calls for the mistreatment of the object of his hate. Mere dissagreement doesn't equal hate. However, how many people have you met who merely "disagree" with homosexuality? I'm sure one or two exist, but most people who say they "disagree" with homosexuality in fact are hateful bigots as evidenced by their active discrimination against and suppression of homosexuals.
I disagree with homosexuals and I am still called names. When I respond back in the same matter then “Oh my gawd, see?! You are full of hate!” and have mods tell me to change my tone. Go figure. I’ll say it again. I don’t support or cheer for homosexuals. Doesn’t mean I am frightful, afraid, or other names people are called if they dare themselves not support homosexuals.

Quote:
I don't know any gays who "hate" so much that they want either straight people or conservative Christians or homophobes to face institutional discrimination and mistreatment
I know hateful gays who have sued religious organizations, religious literature, etc. I posted some articles before. If Islam, Christianity, Buddhism, etc. believe homosexuality is a sin and goes against nature then let them be. Why try to go pick on them and “redefine” religion to support homosexuals? Satanism totally supports homosexuality, why not go with them instead? If not, it would be like a steak-loving person going to a vegetarian organization and pick fights with them or try to “redefine” vegetarianism. Eat your steak and leave vegetarians alone. Know what I mean? Respect goes both ways, not just to gays.

Quote:
Can you point out some hateful gays who advocate for laws outlawing conservative Christianity (perhaps punishing it with the death penalty as homosexuality once was in this country)?
Religious groups have been persecuted, still are. As well as ethnic groups and what not.

If we are going to support gays, why not support other “orientations/preferences”? I mean, aren’t gays all about celebrating diversity, respecting differences, being open minded, enjoying being a happy diverse family with differences, etc.? Diversity is also those who have different opinions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-21-2011, 11:33 AM
 
15,727 posts, read 9,108,827 times
Reputation: 6980
Quote:
Originally Posted by onihC View Post


Also, if they are going to say that homosexuality, as a so called sexual preference/orientation, is something people are born with, a gene, something to support, it’s just natural, etc. then how about pedophilia, bestiality, etc. Those are “preferences/orientations” as well.
Those may have some biological causes as well. But here is the big difference most anti-gays don't consider when making such a flawed analogy - the issue of consent. Animals and children can not legally consent to a relationship. Gays have no such issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top