Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is homophobia just as bad as racism?
Yes 93 55.69%
No 68 40.72%
Not sure 6 3.59%
Voters: 167. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 10:00 AM

4,520 posts, read 4,198,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
Why not, of all the blacks what percentage of them work for the government?
What percentage of the whole are on social programs?

Do the same for other races as well.

Now the simple question; where would the Democrat party be power wise without having paid off people with social programs or government employment?

SS we all understand and people contributed (though government stole the money), but a lot of the rest are hand outs by grabbing money from the treasury.
You brought up the social program aspect...why don't you find the stats?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2011, 10:01 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,105,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post
You'd be surprised.
Heh.

You may be right!

Old 03-16-2011, 10:04 AM

3,681 posts, read 6,261,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya View Post
This statement is completely false. Do you understand what a phobia is? It is not prejudice.
Do you think agoraphobis are prejudice against open spaces? lol!

Phobia is an extreme or irrational fear of something not a prejudice.

Old 03-16-2011, 10:05 AM

3,485 posts, read 7,285,302 times
Both are wrong because you are being irrational in both cases. I know some homosexuals who are racist as eff as well, doesn't sit well with me.

Old 03-16-2011, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sman View Post
racism means you hate a group of people because of their color. Homophobia means you're scared of homosexuals. Thinking homosexuality is wrong doesn't mean you're scared of homosexuals. They're two different things.
bingo!

Old 03-16-2011, 10:08 AM

9,848 posts, read 8,260,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post
You brought up the social program aspect...why don't you find the stats?
I already know them.
Guess who has 600% more people as a percentage of the population on the dole?

You should look up what is available as well.

My main point when someone posted of the horrible things Democrats used to do with segregation and hosing students, was that the fact did not keep blacks away because Democrats paid them off with the treasury.
Money is a great motivator, why else vote with the party who used to hose your children from school?

Old 03-16-2011, 10:15 AM

4,070 posts, read 5,585,822 times
Quote:
This statement is completely false. Do you understand what a phobia is? It is not prejudice.
Do you think agoraphobis are prejudice against open spaces? lol!

Phobia is an extreme or irrational fear of something not a prejudice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by maja View Post
My statement is correct. If you are "homophobic" you are prejudice against Homosexuals.

Terms for prejudice or discrimination
A number of terms with the suffix -phobia are used non-clinically but have gained public acceptance, though they are often considered buzzwords. Such terms are primarily understood as negative attitudes towards certain categories of people or other things, used in an analogy with the medical usage of the term. Usually these kinds of "phobias" are described as fear, dislike, disapproval, prejudice, hatred, discrimination, or hostility towards the object of the "phobia". Often this attitude is based on prejudices and is a particular case of most xenophobia. These non-clinical phobias are typically used as labels cast on someone by another person or some other group.

Below are some examples:
  • Chemophobia – prejudice against artificial substances in favour of "natural" substances.
  • Ephebiphobia – fear or dislike of youth or adolescents.
  • Homophobia – fear or dislike of homosexuals or homosexuality.
  • Xenophobia – fear or dislike of strangers or the unknown, sometimes used to describe nationalistic political beliefs and movements. It is also used in fictional work to describe the fear or dislike of space aliens.

Old 03-16-2011, 10:17 AM

499 posts, read 404,141 times
Quote:
Again you don't understand or are misconstruing the word homophobia.

Homophobia would mean a fear of homosexuals and has nothing to do with oppression or discrimination.
Intellecutal honesty is important when debating a topic. We atleast have to be on the same page as far as definitions.
Quote:
homophobia

an extreme and irrational aversion to homosexuality and homosexual people.

definition of homophobia from Oxford Dictionaries Online

a fear or dislike of homosexuals
homophobic adjective /ˌhɒm.əˈfəʊ.bɪk//ˌhoʊ.məˈfoʊ-/

Definition of homophobia noun from Cambridge Dictionary Online: Free English Dictionary and Thesaurus
The term encompasses both.

Old 03-16-2011, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevergoingback View Post
My statement is correct. If you are "homophobic" you are prejudice against Homesexuals.

Terms for prejudice or discrimination
A number of terms with the suffix -phobia are used non-clinically but have gained public acceptance, though they are often considered buzzwords. Such terms are primarily understood as negative attitudes towards certain categories of people or other things, used in an analogy with the medical usage of the term. Usually these kinds of "phobias" are described as fear, dislike, disapproval, prejudice, hatred, discrimination, or hostility towards the object of the "phobia". Often this attitude is based on prejudices and is a particular case of most xenophobia. These non-clinical phobias are typically used as labels cast on someone by another person or some other group.

Below are some examples:
  • Chemophobia – prejudice against artificial substances in favour of "natural" substances.
  • Ephebiphobia – fear or dislike of youth or adolescents.
  • Homophobia – fear or dislike of homosexuals or homosexuality.
  • Xenophobia – fear or dislike of strangers or the unknown, sometimes used to describe nationalistic political beliefs and movements. It is also used in fictional work to describe the fear or dislike of space aliens.
Oh really? "have gained public acceptance" by whom??? A special interest group?

Yeah. Let's just rewrite word definitions like we rewrite history.

Old 03-16-2011, 10:23 AM

20,058 posts, read 18,248,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthGAbound12 View Post
I agree. Racism is far worst and causes all sorts of societal ills and violence. Homophobia is mostly overblown in my mind. I've known a few gay people in my life and they had encountered very little to none discrimination.

I agree.

I lived in the Bay Area for many years where that lifestyle was celebrated, while people born of color were treated like crap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies