Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is homophobia just as bad as racism?
Yes 93 55.69%
No 68 40.72%
Not sure 6 3.59%
Voters: 167. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 10:24 AM

499 posts, read 404,141 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maja View Post
Oh really? "have gained public acceptance" by whom??? A special interest group?

Yeah. Let's just rewrite word definitions like we rewrite history.
Users of the English language. That particular meaning is accepted by enough people and commonplace enough to have made it into the dictionaries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2011, 10:44 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,747,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maja View Post
Oh really? "have gained public acceptance" by whom??? A special interest group?

Yeah. Let's just rewrite word definitions like we rewrite history.
History is written and re-written. Nothing new about that. Languages evolve too, unless someone chose to stay under a rock for eons. Of all languages, English is perhaps one that is going to disappoint such rock crawlers the most. Dictionaries can always come to their rescue, no?

Old 03-16-2011, 10:52 AM

1,382 posts, read 2,379,943 times
Default I'd punish my 10 year old for writing as badly as I have here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
They're totally different.

Racism caused exploitation, terrorism, and discrimination since the deception of colonialism.

Homophobia is wrong, but it isn't as nearly severe as racism.
Racism like the Tokyo radiation plume, with time and space dilute.
What was a hateful toxic brew is now unmeasurable in ppb.
We elected a president because he was black and the Klan is dead and gone.
Times have changed.
But some are loath to admit it.

Old 03-16-2011, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertjohnson View Post
We elected a president because he was black
I don't think he is black. That would require ignoring one half of his heritage. Why do you think he is?

Old 03-16-2011, 11:09 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,600,779 times
I've never met someone with an irrational fear of homosexuals.

Having said that, I suppose it would be as bad as someone with an irrational fear of adulterers, alcoholics, or any other social pariah.

Old 03-16-2011, 11:13 AM

5,821 posts, read 5,290,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Any time you discriminate against another human being for just being a human being it is an act that is reprehensible no matter what you name it.
Homosexuality is not just being a human being.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya View Post
I don't play semantics. I am assuming the OP knew the defintion of homophobia before he started a poll.

Again I say the left has tried to distort this word. And to confuse the situation and make people who believe the Bible as haters of homosexuals. This is far from the truth.
I am not saying that there are not people out there who hates homosexuals because of course there are.
I do not fear homosexuals, nor do I hate them.
I hate the act, not the person.

Old 03-16-2011, 11:18 AM

4,520 posts, read 4,198,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
I already know them.
Guess who has 600% more people as a percentage of the population on the dole?

You should look up what is available as well.

My main point when someone posted of the horrible things Democrats used to do with segregation and hosing students, was that the fact did not keep blacks away because Democrats paid them off with the treasury.
Money is a great motivator, why else vote with the party who used to hose your children from school?
Ah....so your point is that only Democrats practiced oppression and their sins were forgiven with social programs? Even though, while the percentage of blacks on public assistance is higher, Whites make up the largest leeches on the system?

Ya know...now that I think about it, there was a huge Republican uprising about the socio-economic oppression of Blacks. It was a touching movement.

Old 03-16-2011, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
I've never met someone with an irrational fear of homosexuals.
By definition, homophobia as a word doesn't allow you to hide behind a subjectivity such as "irrational".

Old 03-16-2011, 11:22 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,600,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
By definition, homophobia as a word doesn't allow you to hide behind a subjectivity such as "irrational".
Define "phobia".

a persistent, irrational fear of a specific object, activity, or situation that leads to a compelling desire to avoid it

So therefore, "homophobia" would be a "a persistent, irrational fear of homosexuals".

Am I wrong?

Old 03-16-2011, 11:25 AM

17,290 posts, read 29,328,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy5 View Post
Homosexuality is not just being a human being.
Actually, it is. It is an immutable characteristic that someone does not choose.

Anytime you choose to dislike someone because of some innate part of them that does not hurt anyone else or factor into how you live your life in any way, you are being bigoted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy5
I do not fear homosexuals, nor do I hate them.
I hate the act, not the person.
Why on earth would you choose to "hate" the "act" of homosexuality? Nothing else to focus your derision on?

The whole, "love the sinner, hate the sin" thing is a bunch of doubletalk mealy mouthed BS. Man up and be proud of your feelings and opinions. Why the need for the constant parsing of words from people like you and Calvinist?

Next thing we know the Klan will start running around saying, "I don't hate individual black people. I just hate the color of their skin."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies