Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is homophobia just as bad as racism?
Yes 93 55.69%
No 68 40.72%
Not sure 6 3.59%
Voters: 167. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 11:29 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,815,462 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
Define "phobia".

a persistent, irrational fear of a specific object, activity, or situation that leads to a compelling desire to avoid it

So therefore, "homophobia" would be a "a persistent, irrational fear of homosexuals".

Am I wrong?
I provided a link to Merriam Webster to help you out. Do you disagree with it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2011, 11:32 AM

3,283 posts, read 5,207,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post
A lot of people seem to compare homophobia to racism. Explain why some would think so.

Do you think homophobia is bad as racism or worse?

society doesn't really see it that way. to a certain degree, jokes about homosexuals are still widely tolerated. jokes about different races are an absolute no, no. imo, they're exactly the same, i'm just pointing out what i think society deems tolerable

Old 03-16-2011, 11:35 AM

6,414 posts, read 10,491,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
I tolerate many others I don't agree with and they all have the same rights as other Americans.
They don't deserve special laws and I would appreciate if they would stay away from our kids in school.

I don't know why they and some others think they deserve extra special rights or funding.

I think there is little racism or homophobia that is even noticeable in the goings on of everyday life at the workplace.
I think it is more to be found among the ignorant perpetually unemployed.
There are no special rights that homosexuals are asking for. We want and deserve the same federal rights, 1049 at last count, that all straight people that are allowed to marry, receive. These are rights that are denied us because we are gay and simply for that reason. Why do straights get these special rights, why do they get tax breaks when gays pay taxes too. Why do straights get to inherit their spouses property without undue taxation? If anyone is getting special rights it is all the straight people that are allowed to get married and divorced as often as they feel like with no denial of their special rights. Straight people can be free to marry the one they love, gays are told to hide in the closet, find a straight person to dupe and marry that person under false circumstances, live a lie, and all just to satisfy the expectations of society at large. Do you understand that that is tyranny of the majority and not equal and fair treatment. As long as people are allowed to create laws banning gay marriage, gay adoption or foster care, gay spousal benefits and health care, we are being discriminated against because of homophobia, misinformation and lies. We are not even trusted to know our own selves and that is evident in so many people thinking we make the choice to be gay, like you make the choice to be straight. Until the federal government stops this mass discrimination against us, there will be a constant battle between gays and straights over who deserves those special 1049 rights that you take advantage of and abuse.

Old 03-16-2011, 11:45 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,099,924 times
"Homophobia is like racism and anti-Semitism and other forms of bigotry in that it seeks to dehumanize a large group of people, to deny their humanity, their dignity and personhood. This sets the stage for further repression and violence that spread all too easily to victimize the next minority group."

-Coretta Scott King

Old 03-16-2011, 11:48 AM

5,648 posts, read 8,056,348 times
There is segregation between straights and gays too.

Old 03-16-2011, 12:13 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,350,315 times
Default Is homophobia as bad as racism?

In my opinion the word Homophobic is just like the little 6 year old calling someone a name because they wont agree or play with them, they go to the teacher to settle the matter just as the Homosexuals run to the courts to force themselves to be accepted on society as normal, they want special laws so people can not call them names, they push for children to be brainwashed into believing they are normal.

It has nothing to do with racism and cannot compare to it, Homosexuals are not a race they are a group of people who are mentally confused and that’s not to say they are bad people just confused.

Which is worst? I say racism by far; I just don’t know anyone who would fall into the Homophobic category any more than someone being Hetrophobic.

Old 03-16-2011, 12:51 PM

3,767 posts, read 4,529,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maja View Post
Oh really? "have gained public acceptance" by whom??? A special interest group?
Yeah. Let's just rewrite word definitions like we rewrite history.
Exactly. You said it perfectly. The left-wing media has tried to distort the meaning and the naive have bought into it.

Old 03-16-2011, 12:51 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,399,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
In my opinion the word Homophobic is just like the little 6 year old calling someone a name because they wont agree or play with them, they go to the teacher to settle the matter just as the Homosexuals run to the courts to force themselves to be accepted on society as normal, they want special laws so people can not call them names, they push for children to be brainwashed into believing they are normal.
We use the word "homophobic" because to come right out and say "ignorant insecure with their own sexuality troglodytes" or "religious whackjob crazies who speak to invisible people in the sky" is usually a little bit too blunt, even if it may be technically more accurate to describe those who have "problems" with homosexuals or homosexuality.

Old 03-16-2011, 02:10 PM

3,767 posts, read 4,529,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
Define "phobia".
a persistent, irrational fear of a specific object, activity, or situation that leads to a compelling desire to avoid it

So therefore, "homophobia" would be a "a persistent, irrational fear of homosexuals".
Am I wrong?
Yep. You've got it. So back to the OPs question homophobia is not as bad a racism.
The left has twisted it. People who think it is wrong are billed "homophobes" which is a joke, and any discerning person would understand this.

Old 03-16-2011, 02:24 PM

6,414 posts, read 10,491,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post

It has nothing to do with racism and cannot compare to it, Homosexuals are not a race they are a group of people who are mentally confused and that’s not to say they are bad people just confused.

Which is worst? I say racism by far; I just don’t know anyone who would fall into the Homophobic category any more than someone being Hetrophobic.
You fall into the category of homophobic, you refuse to accept valid findings that homosexuality is not abnormal, yet you persist in calling it that, it is you that is mentally confused by a bigoted antiquated book. I am not confused one bit. We are a group of people that are being discriminated against because of people like you. You are the problem with equal rights going forward and history will list people like you as blockades to full equal rights. Swell way to go down in history. I AM NOT CONFUSED!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies