Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 03:57 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,237,393 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
EXACTLY.......Chernobyl was a different design and the technicians "powered up" the reactor beyond safety limits.......I don't understand why some folks spread fear, misinformation and panic.
Chernobyl after the disaster - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Chernobyl disaster - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
We all need to do jury duty every few years or so to remind us of the level of intelligence of the average American (or view the posts of technophobes on C-D). Since we work with and are friends with those of a similar intelligence and education level, we tend to forget that the typical citizen probably couldn't pass a 4th grade math test. Logic skills are even rarer, leaving the masses susceptible to the media, which maximizes shock value and wouldn't report the truth if they were able to understand it.

Unfortunately those of us who work in the industry, or even those who have education other than from the high school "education major" teachers who never came within a mile of a technical class, rarely speak out--probably because we're all working insane hours in the typical work week, and if we take vacation we're on the phone with the Plant giving guidance to technical staff with less industry experience.

I am continually amazed that technophobes with absolutely no experience in the industry, and zero education in technical matters, constantly post on C-D with made-up statements that are totally wrong. Why do people make up things and post them as fact, ignoring requests for citations or posting things that contradict themselves, or are not answering the query.

I have much more respect for those that state they don't understand, and ask for explanations from those who understand the subject.

Here's a list of accidents and disasters by death toll: List of accidents and disasters by death toll - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Funny how a nuclear "accident" in which nobody is killed, injured, or exposed to radiation will be listed as "one of the worst accidents in history."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2011, 05:18 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,949,825 times
I am getting the idea come morning in NH, my question will be: Just how does nuked crow taste?

Old 03-16-2011, 05:23 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,921,463 times
Oh good grief! Operator error is error, and meltdowns or near meltdowns of nuclear reactors are not trivial incidents. The area of Japan that will have to be roped off for the next 300 years is considerable in a country as densely populated as Japan. I know that the pro-nuclear arguments are on the defensive when they actually start to insult or question the intelligence of people with concerns about the wider proliferation of nuclear energy. You all would have been on better ground if you had the decency to wait a respectable amount of time before you started in on reasonable people. Sheesh... I mean... the fires are still burning in Japan. There may not be any fatalities yet but ... come on... really, are we fools? Those techs are taking on rems at 8x maximum yearly exposure. That isn't going to be wonderful for their longevity. I refuse to be cowed by insults to my intelligence and I am far from being a technophobe. Capitalism and dangerous technologies do not mix. Period. The proper way to site a nuclear reactor is in geosynchronous orbit with the energy beamed to earth via microwave. Certainly spent fuel rods should not be buried (Google: Hanford nuclear reservation) on Earth in substandard containments but that's what you get when the dollar outweighs common sense and humanitarian instinct.

H

Old 03-16-2011, 05:36 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,949,825 times
I agree Leisesturn. We live in a society where most people can't tie a knot, but somehow think we can controll nuke power?

I hear how 'clean it is, but yet the crud escapes time after time, and there isn't even a decent way to get rid of the stuff. Where ever a nuke plant is, is dead land even after the dammned things are shut down and out of service.

The one where I live Seabrook wasn't built so well so far as people who built it tell me. These folks were first hand labor. Nothing went right, money problems delays, shoddy work in some cases, bored labor showing up and getting sea gull management.

The media, got a hold of 100 x ray pictures of the same dam pipe, which all has the same serial number, and was used to 'prove' each and every pipe was x rayed.

Nuke power and greed, shouldn't share the same bed.

Man hasn't got the Right to rule Earth, but he sure thinks he does.

Old 03-16-2011, 06:24 PM

33,518 posts, read 37,111,020 times
Energy Secretary Chu admitted that the situation in Japan is already worse than the nuclear disaster at Three Mile Island in the U.S. state of Pennsylvania in 1979, America's worst nuclear accident.

Some nuclear scientists think it has already reached Chernobyl levels

Old 03-16-2011, 06:58 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,372,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Energy Secretary Chu admitted that the situation in Japan is already worse than the nuclear disaster at Three Mile Island in the U.S. state of Pennsylvania in 1979, America's worst nuclear accident.

Some nuclear scientists think it has already reached Chernobyl levels
Hell anyone with two eyes and half a brain knows its worse than TMI. The limited amount of radiation leaked from there was nothing.

Chernobyl, IDK, we'll have to wait and see.

Old 03-16-2011, 07:03 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,237,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
I agree Leisesturn. We live in a society where most people can't tie a knot, but somehow think we can controll nuke power?
If nuclear engineers were given their positions pursuant to a lottery from the general moronic population, this argument might be valid.

Old 03-16-2011, 07:07 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,372,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post

I hear how 'clean it is, but yet the crud escapes time after time, and there isn't even a decent way to get rid of the stuff. Where ever a nuke plant is, is dead land even after the dammned things are shut down and out of service.

The one where I live Seabrook wasn't built so well so far as people who built it tell me. These folks were first hand labor. Nothing went right, money problems delays, shoddy work in some cases, bored labor showing up and getting sea gull management.

The media, got a hold of 100 x ray pictures of the same dam pipe, which all has the same serial number, and was used to 'prove' each and every pipe was x rayed.

Nuke power and greed, shouldn't share the same bed.

Man hasn't got the Right to rule Earth, but he sure thinks he does.
I guess that means that if I have a broken leg, I should just try and set it myself, seeing as doctors can't tie their shoes because they are generalized as part of a population like ours.

Old 03-16-2011, 07:08 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,796,855 times
Fro what experts say the russia design had no containment of the reactor otehr than the building.Once it blew it was radiatio exposed form te get go.

Old 03-16-2011, 09:32 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,723,119 times
this is serious and could get at near or at chernobyl levels of radiation releases.. i've been looking at all the released photos and it don't look good.!!! this Fukushima nuclear power plant has 6 reactors in close proximity to eachother, and all 6 are in some degree of damage from bad to severe. and the design of this plant is just ludacris,!!! for one, one should not build a nuclear facility on a coastline at near sea level prone to major earthquakes and major tsunami.. plus that design with the spent fuel rods being elevated in a cistern like chamber in the same building as the reacter itself with absolutely no protective casing, is just down right i smell greed someones trying to save money scenario..it compromises the whole encased reactor design.. and just the fact that they never had any vents on all of the roofs of the reactor buildings is another big error in design,three buildings roughly the same shape and design exploded cause of hydrogen build up. somebody was not thinking. three strikes your out.. i can say with almost certainly that all of the existing buildings covering reactors will be retrofited with hydraulic venting systems in the future. i was looking at some of the other nuclear power plants along the japanese coast and all the ones i saw on the google earth are the same as the ones at the fukushima plant... no vents to release gaseous build ups...those explosions did a lot of damage to the piping for the cooling systems and even the posible integrity of the reactor contaiment casing itself, not to mention that it could have cracked the elevated spent fuel rod pools,,cisterns.!!! just because of a simple design error that even me a total amature could see.. if we put our faith in big corp we the sheoples will be the ones that will suffer in the end..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies