Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 01:06 PM

334 posts, read 528,482 times

Advertisements

"Blacks defend their dirtbags and whites don't." Wowwww... now that's quite a generalization.

Blacks - meaning all of us? We defend our "dirtbags"?? Do we really, now? And whites (meaning all of you), don't? Is that right?

Wow.

Clearly you don't read the comment sections on Yahoo, CNN, and most local newspapers' websites. They're full of folks who, since they are anonymous, are free to "defend their dirtbags." You should check it out some time.

Old 03-18-2011, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chattypatty View Post
And btw, to be clear, I KNOW that not all blacks think this way. It just seems as if many do, based on so many news stories in which entire towns turn out to support the accused.
Maybe you're only focusing on those particular stories.

How many news articles appear in the paper and websites daily that DON'T refer to entire towns showing up to support the accused??

Old 03-18-2011, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Well who did they rally for? The white mailman?

He said "the black rapists."
Uh no. The quote said "the blacks made it a racial issue."

And I'm stating that "the blacks" (whatever that's supposed to mean anyway) didn't make it anything.... Less than 100 people, from what I saw, showed up to make some noise. It is unfair, at best, (disgusting, at worst) to assert that "the blacks" are some national organization represented by one group of 100 people or one loud-mouthed person.

Deplorable!

Old 03-18-2011, 01:10 PM

3,004 posts, read 3,884,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustBeingMe404 View Post
"Blacks defend their dirtbags and whites don't." Wowwww... now that's quite a generalization.

Blacks - meaning all of us? We defend our "dirtbags"?? Do we really, now? And whites (meaning all of you), don't? Is that right?

Wow.

Clearly you don't read the comment sections on Yahoo, CNN, and most local newspapers' websites. They're full of folks who, since they are anonymous, are free to "defend their dirtbags." You should check it out some time.
No, not all blacks. I never intended to imply or directly state something like that. How about if I revise it to say "TOO MANY BLACKS TOO OFTEN defend their dirtbags, just because they are black, and whites rarely, if ever, do, just because they are white."

Old 03-18-2011, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Uh no. The quote said "the blacks made it a racial issue."

And I'm stating that "the blacks" (whatever that's supposed to mean anyway) didn't make it anything.... Less than 100 people, from what I saw, showed up to make some noise. It is unfair, at best, (disgusting, at worst) to assert that "the blacks" are some national organization represented by one group of 100 people or one loud-mouthed person.

Deplorable!
Okay, fair enough, but when I read that, it seemed obvious to me that he was talking about the blacks of Cleveland TX. But your point is well taken -- we should all try harder to be more precise.

Old 03-18-2011, 01:18 PM

I was a part of the 20,000+ people who went to Jena, Louisiana to protest the excessive and unreasonable charges against those teen thugs. Yeah, they were thugs and criminals, but they didn't deserve 10 year sentences for fighting, while the non-Blacks got off with probation, if that.

So yeah, I went to Jena. There were about 20,000+ people there, some had traveled from as far as Europe, Africa, Canada... all over the place.... There were several buses from California. The entire day was peaceful, and respectful.... the locals invited some of us into their homes. We took a tour of the high school and stores where the fights took place. The police were pleasant. We pumped all kinds of money into their local economy. By all accounts, it was a peaceful day.

There were about 25 people there dressed in some weird, militant, black gear... they were carrying a life-sized ragdoll with a rope around its neck, and a megaphone, chanting all kinds of pro-Black racist nonsense... interrupting every single speaker, every prayer, everything.

You know what the local headlines were the next day?

You guessed it. Every article I saw the following day ran pictures of that one little group... why? Because that's what people like to see. Nobody wanted to hear about how peaceful the day was. Nobody wanted to see the old, white widow who made sandwiches and lemonade and opened her front door inviting the passersby to come in and have lunch. Nobody wanted to see the blacks, whites, Asians, and Hispanics hugging and taking pictures together. Nobody wanted to see the white police officer giving a jump to the black guy whose battery died. (Towards the end of the day, a red pickup truck rode through, honking its horn loudly so everyone would see the guys in the truck's bed swinging nooses; but none of the papers wanted to run a picture of that, either).

Why don't "whites defend their dirtbags"?? LOL. I can't even answer that with a straight face.

Old 03-18-2011, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Okay, fair enough, but when I read that, it seemed obvious to me that he was talking about the blacks of Cleveland TX. But your point is well taken -- we should all try harder to be more precise.
I appreciate you clarifying that, Patty, but truth be told, even the black people who gathered in Cleveland don't represent all the blacks of Cleveland.

That's just not fair, and I would say the same thing if the roles were reversed.

This is a difficult conversation for me. A vast majority of my friends, co-workers and acquaintances are white. And I have never known any of them to talk the way I see people talk online. It really makes me nervous and it makes me wonder whether this is the way people really think, but they won't say it unless they can hide behind a computer.

It's just troublesome. In general. Not just as it relates to this thread or this subject. Just in general.

Old 03-18-2011, 01:25 PM

Quote:
I was a part of the 20,000+ people who went to Jena, Louisiana to protest the excessive and unreasonable charges against those teen thugs. Yeah, they were thugs and criminals, but they didn't deserve 10 year sentences for fighting, while the non-Blacks got off with probation, if that.

So yeah, I went to Jena. There were about 20,000+ people there, some had traveled from as far as Europe, Africa, Canada... all over the place.... There were several buses from California. The entire day was peaceful, and respectful.... the locals invited some of us into their homes. We took a tour of the high school and stores where the fights took place. The police were pleasant. We pumped all kinds of money into their local economy. By all accounts, it was a peaceful day.

There were about 25 people there dressed in some weird, militant, black gear... they were carrying a life-sized ragdoll with a rope around its neck, and a megaphone, chanting all kinds of pro-Black racist nonsense... interrupting every single speaker, every prayer, everything.

You know what the local headlines were the next day?

You guessed it. Every article I saw the following day ran pictures of that one little group... why? Because that's what people like to see. Nobody wanted to hear about how peaceful the day was. Nobody wanted to see the old, white widow who made sandwiches and lemonade and opened her front door inviting the passersby to come in and have lunch. Nobody wanted to see the blacks, whites, Asians, and Hispanics hugging and taking pictures together. Nobody wanted to see the white police officer giving a jump to the black guy whose battery died. (Towards the end of the day, a red pickup truck rode through, honking its horn loudly so everyone would see the guys in the truck's bed swinging nooses; but none of the papers wanted to run a picture of that, either).

Why don't "whites defend their dirtbags"?? LOL. I can't even answer that with a straight face.
In their racially motivated mob attack, a white victim suffered a severe head injury. They deserved 10 years in prison for that, particularly since they had prior offenses.

Hanging a noose on a tree is very offensive, and so are vocal racial slurs, but neither is in the same category as a gang attack that causes physical injury.

You were wrong to go there and defend them on the grounds that the charges against them were excessive. I don't agree that the charges were excessive at all. As for the boys who got probation, were they involved in physical gang violence? Did they have prior police records? That sort of thing matters.

I see your point about what the news chose to focus on. I don't argue with you on that. However, even the majority of peaceful protesters were doing something I consider very egregious. That's just my opinion and obviously you don't agree.

Old 03-18-2011, 01:28 PM

Quote:
I appreciate you clarifying that, Patty, but truth be told, even the black people who gathered in Cleveland don't represent all the blacks of Cleveland.

That's just not fair, and I would say the same thing if the roles were reversed.

This is a difficult conversation for me. A vast majority of my friends, co-workers and acquaintances are white. And I have never known any of them to talk the way I see people talk online. It really makes me nervous and it makes me wonder whether this is the way people really think, but they won't say it unless they can hide behind a computer.

It's just troublesome. In general. Not just as it relates to this thread or this subject. Just in general.
Well finally we agree on something. I have the exact same situation with black friends and coworkers. There is a spirit of cooperation and fun, and then I come to CD and see the stuff posted here and wonder if these people secretly think these kinds of things. It is very discouraging.

For what it's worth, I do appreciate being able to talk to black people on CD who really try to have a conversation.

Old 03-18-2011, 01:30 PM

4,520 posts, read 4,207,325 times
Quote:

I agree. It's very troubling to think that no matter how many good Blacks there are in the world, there will always be more sensation and emphasis placed on the bad Black folks. I just don't understand why so many people allow one or some of us to speak for ALL of us.

I also work and interact with many White people and to think that some hold these same ideas is, as you say, troublesome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.