U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-16-2011, 08:31 AM
 
24,843 posts, read 31,577,341 times
Reputation: 11437

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
Sounds like a quote the tea party would use.
Maybe you have a link to back that stance???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-16-2011, 08:54 AM
 
Location: USA - midwest
5,945 posts, read 4,761,052 times
Reputation: 2606
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiteacher View Post
who does this sound like to you?

Singling out a particular faith for scorn?

Sounds like...

Peter King
Newt Gingrich
Mitch McConnell
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-16-2011, 08:57 AM
 
Location: North America
18,614 posts, read 11,846,254 times
Reputation: 7782
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiteacher View Post
Hitler's speech before the passing of the Enabling Act
In his speech before the Reichstag on March 23, 1933, just before the Enabling Act is passed, Adolf Hitler speaks out:
By its decision to carry out the political and moral cleansing of our public life, the Government is creating and securing the conditions for a really deep and inner religious life. The advantages for the individual which may be derived from compromises with atheistic organizations do not compare in any way with the consequences which are visible in the destruction of our common religious and ethical values. The national Government sees in both Christian denominations the most important factor for the maintenance of our society. It will observe the agreements drawn up between the Churches and the provinces; their rights will not be touched. The Government, however, hopes and expects that the task of national and ethical renewal of our people, which it has set itself, will receive the same respect by the other side. The Government will treat all other denominations with objective and impartial justice. It cannot, however, tolerate allowing membership of a certain denomination or of a certain race being used as a release from all common legal obligations, or as a blank cheque for unpunishable behavior, or for the toleration of crimes. [The national Government will allow and confirm to the Christian denominations the enjoyment of their due influence in schools and education.] And it will be concerned for the sincere cooperation between Church and State. The struggle against the materialistic ideology and for the erection of a true people's community (Volksgemeinschaft) serves as much the interests of the German nation as of our Christian faith. ...The national Government, seeing in Christianity the unshakable foundation of the moral and ethical life of our people, attaches utmost importance to the cultivation and maintenance of the friendliest relations with the Holy See. ...The rights of the churches will not be curtailed; their position in relation to the State will not be changed,,,
I think Hitler cloaked himself with religious furvor to gain power, then exercised his own fascist agenda.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-16-2011, 09:02 AM
 
Location: Dallas, TX
31,777 posts, read 24,278,793 times
Reputation: 12132
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiteacher View Post
Hitler's speech before the passing of the Enabling Act
In his speech before the Reichstag on March 23, 1933, just before the Enabling Act is passed, Adolf Hitler speaks out:
By its decision to carry out the political and moral cleansing of our public life, the Government is creating and securing the conditions for a really deep and inner religious life. The advantages for the individual which may be derived from compromises with atheistic organizations do not compare in any way with the consequences which are visible in the destruction of our common religious and ethical values. The national Government sees in both Christian denominations the most important factor for the maintenance of our society. It will observe the agreements drawn up between the Churches and the provinces; their rights will not be touched. The Government, however, hopes and expects that the task of national and ethical renewal of our people, which it has set itself, will receive the same respect by the other side. The Government will treat all other denominations with objective and impartial justice. It cannot, however, tolerate allowing membership of a certain denomination or of a certain race being used as a release from all common legal obligations, or as a blank cheque for unpunishable behavior, or for the toleration of crimes. [The national Government will allow and confirm to the Christian denominations the enjoyment of their due influence in schools and education.] And it will be concerned for the sincere cooperation between Church and State. The struggle against the materialistic ideology and for the erection of a true people's community (Volksgemeinschaft) serves as much the interests of the German nation as of our Christian faith. ...The national Government, seeing in Christianity the unshakable foundation of the moral and ethical life of our people, attaches utmost importance to the cultivation and maintenance of the friendliest relations with the Holy See. ...The rights of the churches will not be curtailed; their position in relation to the State will not be changed,,,
Sounds like every other politician who panders to the people for their support using populism, religion as the basis for moral and ethical grounds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-16-2011, 09:04 AM
Status: "Elect a clown? Expect a circus!" (set 29 days ago)
 
Location: By the sea, by the sea, by the beautiful sea
55,153 posts, read 39,004,420 times
Reputation: 27437
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Every country has a leader who stands up in front of their population spewing all the words the people want to hear... then turns the country upside down..

Hitler did it
Mussolini did it
Stalin did it
Obama did it
Mao did it

and the list goes on and on....

bottom line?

How can you tell when a politician is lying?

Every time they open their mouths and speak
Nixon did it
Reagan did it
Bush I and II did it

But thanks for so conveniently overlooking that

The delusions of the right that their politicians are somehow pure as the driven snow are almost as entertaining as their often claimed imaginary moral superiority.

Last edited by burdell; 03-16-2011 at 09:44 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-16-2011, 09:06 AM
 
3,681 posts, read 5,430,225 times
Reputation: 1485
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioIstheBest View Post
"The struggle against the materialistic ideology and for the erection of a true people's community"

Sounds more like a leftie to me. Makes sense since that is what Hitler was. A leftie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-16-2011, 09:07 AM
 
Location: In a Galaxy far, far away called Germany
4,267 posts, read 3,637,027 times
Reputation: 2313
By virtue of their profession, a politician spewing religious platitudes, has forfeited all credibility and exhibits the most egregious form of hypocrisy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-16-2011, 09:08 AM
 
16,553 posts, read 11,194,605 times
Reputation: 4229
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
I think Hitler cloaked himself with religious furvor to gain power, then exercised his own fascist agenda.
He definitely did. After he duped the people into thinking he was a devout Christian, he replaced all the crosses with Jesus on it with a picture of him in all of the churches.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-16-2011, 09:19 AM
 
11,470 posts, read 17,003,234 times
Reputation: 5642
Anybody ever see the movie, "Billy Jack"?

Some girl reads a poignant quote about the decaying state of affairs to a town council. They declare it "wonderful" and dismiss her. She then reveals that it is a quote from Hitler.

Hitler speeches and quotes are not all about blood, long knives, and Anti-Semetism. There are many that are simply generic and could have been spoken by anyone and be about anything. In between rantings at Bierhalls and book burnings at Bebelplatz, the fiend did speak at rotary clubs, church socials, building dedications, and probably the odd birthday party or two.

Trying to link Hitler with anyone in American politics, left or right, is a fool's errand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-16-2011, 09:26 AM
 
Location: Dallas, TX
31,777 posts, read 24,278,793 times
Reputation: 12132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Trying to link Hitler with anyone in American politics, left or right, is a fool's errand.
It may be politically incorrect (considering the world we live in, and the demands of it for political correctness), but a belief that just because Hitler did it that nobody else can is stupidity or at least denial. Do you think the tactics he employed against his political enemies and racial/religious were unprecedented and can never be expected, anywhere in the world?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top