U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 12:49 PM

24,889 posts, read 20,389,497 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58robbo View Post
no, that is why i will not vote republican again, unless ron or rand win the nomination. from now on i vote libertarian exclusively. the drug issue is very important to me because it offers the clearest indication on what a candidate believes the size and role of govt ought to be. i'm so sick and tired of politicians saying one thing and doing another. ron paul is probably the only member of congress who has a platform and has stuck to it.

this president made a few promises which were encouraging, on all of them he has done a 180 degree turn. it's as if dubya never left the white house.
Now he hasn't done a 180 degree turn on everything. He tackled healthcare reform, and there are some other things that he has promised to do that has been done.

I do agree its not far enough, and he has completely done a 180 on things like the war in Iraq and gitmo, trials in the states, etc.

I had all intents and purposes to vote independent in the Presidential election of 08, I was a Hillary supporter. However, when McCain picked his idiot VP candidate, I couldn't stomach the thought of my vote giving them the power of the Presidency.

Ron and Rand Paul are extreme libertarians. While I'm partially libertarian on a lot of issues, I'm not against food stamps, social security, and unemployment benefits, something the Pauls have professed a disdain for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2011, 01:14 PM

3,283 posts, read 4,572,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Now he hasn't done a 180 degree turn on everything. He tackled healthcare reform, and there are some other things that he has promised to do that has been done.

I do agree its not far enough, and he has completely done a 180 on things like the war in Iraq and gitmo, trials in the states, etc.

I had all intents and purposes to vote independent in the Presidential election of 08, I was a Hillary supporter. However, when McCain picked his idiot VP candidate, I couldn't stomach the thought of my vote giving them the power of the Presidency.

Ron and Rand Paul are extreme libertarians. While I'm partially libertarian on a lot of issues, I'm not against food stamps, social security, and unemployment benefits, something the Pauls have professed a disdain for.
HIS HEALTHCARE REFORM BILL IS A GIFT TO The big insurers. he knows that the small guys won't be able to comply and will close up shop. while i agree with you that healthcare is in dire straights, we need to look at the root of the problem and stop treating the symptoms as they arise.

on foodstamps and social sec, they have repeatedly said that they wouldn't end foodstamps for the people who have grown dependent. rather they would stop our foreign policy and use those funds to pay for foodstamps and s.sec.

you need to look at the underlying causes of the need for foodstamps. for a society to be prosperous it needs everyone to work. the more people working the more products and services are available at a price that everyone can afford. the problem is that we need an uninhibited pricing mechanism to coordinate that production. if wages drop very low, that sends a signal that there is not enough demand for that specific product or service. likewise if the wages go up, that signals the opposite. while we have subsidies, welfare, minimum wages, regualtions etc these policies distort the balance in the market and they give off the wrong signals. people then adjust their behaviour accordingly. while the market might take time to adjust, it always moves toward equillibrium. that always leaves someone out in the cold who wouldn't be there were it not for market distortions.

Old 03-16-2011, 03:15 PM

5,370 posts, read 4,501,542 times
Quote:
HIS HEALTHCARE REFORM BILL IS A GIFT TO The big insurers.

And the alternative is what?

Currently 75 to 80% of americans, via their employer or government supported (military, medicare etc) get their health insurance via..........the big insurers. There is no "little guy" insurance industry.

Old 03-16-2011, 03:27 PM

11,501 posts, read 13,069,200 times
Shame on those who voted for this man.

Those of us who looked at his past and could see he was a total liar and scam artist knew this man was a fraud from the beginning.

We need new Obama T-shirts stating

You can be CONNED by Obama.

He had no intentions of ending either war, closing Gitmo, getting speedy trials or anything else he promised.

If you voted for the moron you should ask yourself "how in the hell did I allow myself to get scammed so bad."

Old 03-16-2011, 03:29 PM

31,777 posts, read 24,100,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
He had no intentions of ending either war, closing Gitmo, getting speedy trials or anything else he promised...
I didn't know you were opposed to the wars and wanted Gitmo to be shut down, and supported Obama on the issues at the time. Now only if I can find your posts supporting that... would you like to help me?

Old 03-16-2011, 03:30 PM

Quote:
HIS HEALTHCARE REFORM BILL IS A GIFT TO The big insurers...
In one thread, you were claiming how he is hurting them by forcing them to sell insurance to those with pre-existing condition and here you're claiming the opposite.

Old 03-16-2011, 03:37 PM

2,415 posts, read 2,359,709 times
Default Let's elect another Democrat, I say

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
You're 100% right, the question is, do you expect a Republican President to do any different?
...........some one who isn't posing up for the job........Does any one have a good Governor to recomend?.....my be someone from..........?

Old 03-16-2011, 03:48 PM

2,415 posts, read 2,359,709 times
Default Lets have a tea party, democrat style

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
We need a balanced budged amendment. Maybe we need to fire both parties to get that done, but without it we are doomed.
quit sticking up for same o same o. bring HILIARY, she can beat Gingrich

Old 03-16-2011, 03:59 PM

3,283 posts, read 4,572,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
In one thread, you were claiming how he is hurting them by forcing them to sell insurance to those with pre-existing condition and here you're claiming the opposite.
please stop responding to my threads with your idiotic posts. Did you notice i wrote """"BIG"""" insurers? evidently not. his healthcare reform bill is a gift to BIIIIIIIIIIGGGGGGGG insurers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ie the small guys won't be able to comply with the pre-existing conditions element of the hcra! that means they will go out of business or stop offering health insurance. now i know that you're not particularly gifted so i doubt you understand what happens when there are fewer and fewer competitors in an industry. if you don't get it please ask memphis1979 or someone else with a brain on this thread to explain it to you.

can anyone tell me how to hide someones posts. i forgot how to do it

Old 03-16-2011, 04:07 PM

Quote:
please stop responding to my threads with your idiotic posts. Did you notice i wrote """"BIG"""" insurers? evidently not. his healthcare reform bill is a gift to BIIIIIIIIIIGGGGGGGG insurers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ie the small guys won't be able to comply with the pre-existing conditions element of the hcra! that means they will go out of business or stop offering health insurance. now i know that you're not particularly gifted so i doubt you understand what happens when there are fewer and fewer competitors in an industry. if you don't get it please ask memphis1979 or someone else with a brain on this thread to explain it to you.

can anyone tell me how to hide someones posts. i forgot how to do it
I think there is an option to ignore certain posters. Considering that you can't handle mine, I highly advise you to do so.

In the mean time... how is it that only Big corporations will benefit with health care mandate, but not smaller ones? Besides, in a state like Alabama, 83% of the market is covered by ONE company (most states are dominated by 1 or 2 large companies).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies