U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 03:16 PM

54,304 posts, read 38,366,750 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58robbo View Post
anytime companies are forced to pay employees more than they are worth, they create an incentive for those companies to move to where they aren't subject to this. it is a lovely concept that a cleaner who works 40hours a week, can pop down to his local walmart and put 400hours of someone else's labor in his shopping cart, but that simply isn't sustainable.
What of when a CEO runs a company into the ground and the company's forced by contract to pay the departing CEO a multi-million $$$ package? Why aren't the companies looking offshore for new CEOs at lower rates? How is a CEOs contract which IS NOT tied to performance special? Why don't the union bashers whine about those contracts?

If you really want to make just another lame attempt at placing all the blame on unions then show me a contract signed by only one side, otherwise you're just peeing to windward
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2011, 03:17 PM

22,770 posts, read 25,245,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Why aren't the companies looking offshore for new CEOs at lower rates?
who says they aren't?

Old 03-16-2011, 03:19 PM

54,304 posts, read 38,366,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
who says they aren't?
Examples? I haven't seen any.

Old 03-16-2011, 03:22 PM

3,283 posts, read 4,567,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmharvey View Post
You have that backwards. There is a shortage of nurses not lawyers.

ok, why is there a shortage of nurses?

Old 03-16-2011, 03:25 PM

22,770 posts, read 25,245,834 times
Quote:
Examples? I haven't seen any.
and i'm sure you looked everywhere for them.

wait, here's a few:
Vikram Pandit
Alain Belda
Louis Camilleri
Muhtar Kent
Jacques Nasser
Indra Nooyi
Sidney Taurel
Ramani Ayer

among others

Old 03-16-2011, 03:33 PM

Quote:
What of when a CEO runs a company into the ground and the company's forced by contract to pay the departing CEO a multi-million $$$ package? Why aren't the companies looking offshore for new CEOs at lower rates? How is a CEOs contract which IS NOT tied to performance special? Why don't the union bashers whine about those contracts?

If you really want to make just another lame attempt at placing all the blame on unions then show me a contract signed by only one side, otherwise you're just peeing to windward
for a start burdell, you better believe they're looking across the bglobe for ceo's. secondly, a ceo's compensation is agreed by the owners of that company ie the stockholders. nobody on either side is threatening anyone else. it's purely business.

unions on the other hand threaten. i would have no problem with that if the company was allowed to sack all of them for striking. if the company was then free to hire replacements and those replacements weren't subject to harrassment and threats, i have no problems with unions. in fact, when companies are paying less than an employee is worth, i think unions are highly desirable

Old 03-16-2011, 03:33 PM

93 posts, read 109,703 times
Quote:
ok, why is there a shortage of nurses?
Because nursing instructors are way underpaid by universities so it's hard to fill faculty for most nursing programs.

Old 03-16-2011, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmharvey View Post
Because nursing instructors are way underpaid by universities so it's hard to fill faculty for most nursing programs.

if there is a shortage of nurses, their pay WILL go up relative to other vocations. what i mean by that is this. perhaps because of the recession, their pay doesn't go up, it stays the same. at the same time though, other jobs are seeing their pay decline. either way, the incentive is there for more people to go into nursing. if more people want to go into nursing, they will be prepared to pay more to do so. if they are prepared to do so, faculty will be FORCED to pay more! that is basic supply and demand.

Old 03-16-2011, 05:54 PM

93 posts, read 109,703 times
Quote:
if there is a shortage of nurses, their pay WILL go up relative to other vocations. what i mean by that is this. perhaps because of the recession, their pay doesn't go up, it stays the same. at the same time though, other jobs are seeing their pay decline. either way, the incentive is there for more people to go into nursing. if more people want to go into nursing, they will be prepared to pay more to do so. if they are prepared to do so, faculty will be FORCED to pay more! that is basic supply and demand.
I think with Nurses supply and demand doesn't effect their pay like it does with a lawyer. South FLorida has the highest nurse shortage in the country but they make one of the lowest salaries. A faculty nurse instructor no matter what economy we are in well never make as much money as a nurse practitioner who has the same education.

Old 03-16-2011, 07:23 PM

11,449 posts, read 13,936,788 times
Quote:
I know that there is this idea that people should have a 'living wage'. i would really like someone to define that for me ie what does a 'living wage' include? healthcare, food, gas, housing, education?

anytime companies are forced to pay employees more than they are worth, they create an incentive for those companies to move to where they aren't subject to this. it is a lovely concept that a cleaner who works 40hours a week, can pop down to his local walmart and put 400hours of someone else's labor in his shopping cart, but that simply isn't sustainable.

we will get paid what we are worth whether we like it or not, whether we protest or not! we will be forced to live on what we get not force employers to pay for how we live
Alice In Wonderland.
The American way is that many corporation work their employees to death, and when they are burned out, they get the royal shaft. Being a worker in America has not been as good (wages, benefits) as in other modern countries and things will get worst.
Face the truth, the American worker is regarded as a throw away item. The whole system is devised to screw the worker.
I'm glad that almost all my working years are behind me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies