Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2011, 05:22 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,193,095 times

Advertisements

I have always had my issues with Obama, namely over foreign policy and have even went so far as to call him Bush light on numerous occasions. Yet even while I may not have voted for him, I had held out some hopes that some good would come of his Presidency, and that perhaps the far right swing the pendulum had taken over the past decade might tilt back in favor of politics for the little guy for a while.

I was wrong, in fact, the only time I have been as wrong was when I foolishly believed George W. Bush's claims of humble foreign policy and no new nation building, which when shrub was unleashed upon the world with his cabal of parasitic Neoconservative hounds of hell, I watched as what was left of America's good name crumble into the ashes of the greatest political blunder in US history. My misanthropic cynicism is justified wholly.

I left the Republican Party when it occurred to me that they were not a politically philosophical movement anymore, but instead an ideological and anti-intellectual group of tele-marketers pushing hot button topics like abortion or gun rights to keep the freeping right obedient and marching in lock step. One of the greatest decisions I've ever made was leaving this group of ignorance worshiping reactionaries. Yet while the left had a number of better reasoned positions on some issues, they were lacking in any moral and principled positions and would just assume sell their mothers as their children, and did when it came to the war. I wash my hands of both of yall forever.

Yet, the video I'm going to post here is going to feed the salivary glands of the most vapid and vicious of the right wing kook club, but this video isn't from some Tea Party tug boat, it is actually a rather left leaning bi-partisan tour-de-force that flat out blew my doors off.

So to those left leaning folks who perhaps held a sign while Bush was in office that said "end the war", but put them away after Obama was elected, be prepared to dig them out again. I already know what the right is going to say about this video, but I'm curious how folks on the left are going to rationalize and cope with the assertions made in this film. Will you continue to stand behind Obama? Will those on the right note just how Bush like Obama REALLY is?

I've spent a little time fact checking, but the list is massive and extensive, and to be quite frank, makes me want to put my head in my hands and weep I'm so disgusted.

Yet one of the main premise's of this film is to point out that it doesn't really matter if the left or the right holds office, the military-industrial-media-corporate-complex always wins and the only thing that allows them to thrive is the false dichotomy of the left vs right which takes place. The real argument is a vertical one, not a left v right horizontal.

Since I'm not on the forum Forbes 500 and actually have to work two jobs (reason for my lack of posting) I haven't had time to list the factoids that are presented in this film yet. However, I'm going to make the effort unless someone beats me to it, even if to list some of the ones I found most stunning, and there are a bunch.

Anyway, here you go, the film is just shy of 2hrs, but I guarantee it will be some of the most amazing 2 hrs you will spend watching anything.

Lifting the Veil

Metanoia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2011, 05:40 PM

3,681 posts, read 6,274,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
I have always had my issues with Obama, namely over foreign policy and have even went so far as to call him Bush light on numerous occasions. Yet even while I may not have voted for him, I had held out some hopes that some good would come of his Presidency, and that perhaps the far right swing the pendulum had taken over the past decade might tilt back in favor of politics for the little guy for a while.

I was wrong, in fact, the only time I have been as wrong was when I foolishly believed George W. Bush's claims of humble foreign policy and no new nation building, which when shrub was unleashed upon the world with his cabal of parasitic Neoconservative hounds of hell, I watched as what was left of America's good name crumble into the ashes of the greatest political blunder in US history. My misanthropic cynicism is justified wholly.

I left the Republican Party when it occurred to me that they were not a politically philosophical movement anymore, but instead an ideological and anti-intellectual group of tele-marketers pushing hot button topics like abortion or gun rights to keep the freeping right obedient and marching in lock step. One of the greatest decisions I've ever made was leaving this group of ignorance worshiping reactionaries. Yet while the left had a number of better reasoned positions on some issues, they were lacking in any moral and principled positions and would just assume sell their mothers as their children, and did when it came to the war. I wash my hands of both of yall forever.

Yet, the video I'm going to post here is going to feed the salivary glands of the most vapid and vicious of the right wing kook club, but this video isn't from some Tea Party tug boat, it is actually a rather left leaning bi-partisan tour-de-force that flat out blew my doors off.

So to those left leaning folks who perhaps held a sign while Bush was in office that said "end the war", but put them away after Obama was elected, be prepared to dig them out again. I already know what the right is going to say about this video, but I'm curious how folks on the left are going to rationalize and cope with the assertions made in this film. Will you continue to stand behind Obama? Will those on the right note just how Bush like Obama REALLY is?

I've spent a little time fact checking, but the list is massive and extensive, and to be quite frank, makes me want to put my head in my hands and weep I'm so disgusted.

Yet one of the main premise's of this film is to point out that it doesn't really matter if the left or the right holds office, the military-industrial-media-corporate-complex always wins and the only thing that allows them to thrive is the false dichotomy of the left vs right which takes place. The real argument is a vertical one, not a left v right horizontal.

Since I'm not on the forum Forbes 500 and actually have to work two jobs (reason for my lack of posting) I haven't had time to list the factoids that are presented in this film yet. However, I'm going to make the effort unless someone beats me to it, even if to list some of the ones I found most stunning, and there are a bunch.

Anyway, here you go, the film is just shy of 2hrs, but I guarantee it will be some of the most amazing 2 hrs you will spend watching anything.

Lifting the Veil

Metanoia
You had my interest and finger ready to click until the last sentence. Sorry 2 hours to watch a video at my computer is something I just don't have...wish I did.

Old 03-13-2011, 05:46 PM

Of course the 'biggest' tid bit I noticed was the Obama will end up spending more on military spending than at any time during the cold war or even under Bush.

Add up the 2011 Offense Budget (Defense) of 725 billion, plus Veterans benefits, plus our nuclear weapons programs which fall under the DOE, plus Department of Homeland Security, plus military aid to foreign countries, CIA, FBI, NSA, etc..., the militarized portions of NASA and the interest payments for prior wars and previous defense projects, this figure climbs to well over a trillion dollars a year and rising each year, by FAR the largest portion of our expenditures. If Obama remains in office for 8 years, the United States will end up spending close to 10 TRILLION dollars on primarily offensive military operations, money that will have to be immorally borrowed from future generations.

So, what Tea Party candidate or anti-war left person is going to say anything about this... next to none, because we are all sitting around the same camp fire yelling, taste great... less filling.

Old 03-13-2011, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maja View Post
You had my interest and finger ready to click until the last sentence. Sorry 2 hours to watch a video at my computer is something I just don't have...wish I did.
Yes, that it is much easier that way.

Old 03-13-2011, 06:05 PM

3,767 posts, read 4,530,058 times
Quote:
Really? They had my interest until the vicious right-wing kook club, tea party tug boat spiel.
I just don't give credence when posters try to give the impression they are above all the political rhetoric while simultaneously engaging in it.

Old 03-13-2011, 06:09 PM

3,681 posts, read 6,274,458 times
Quote:
Of course the 'biggest' tid bit I noticed was the Obama will end up spending more on military spending than at any time during the cold war or even under Bush.

Add up the 2011 Offense Budget (Defense) of 725 billion, plus Veterans benefits, plus our nuclear weapons programs which fall under the DOE, plus Department of Homeland Security, plus military aid to foreign countries, CIA, FBI, NSA, etc..., the militarized portions of NASA and the interest payments for prior wars and previous defense projects, this figure climbs to well over a trillion dollars a year and rising each year, by FAR the largest portion of our expenditures. If Obama remains in office for 8 years, the United States will end up spending close to 10 TRILLION dollars on primarily offensive military operations, money that will have to be immorally borrowed from future generations.

So, what Tea Party candidate or anti-war left person is going to say anything about this... next to none, because we are all sitting around the same camp fire yelling, taste great... less filling.
Ron Paul???

BTW, try not being so snippy about people not having enough time to watch a 2 hour video on their computer. Do you have children to take care of?

Old 03-13-2011, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya View Post
Really? They had my interest until the vicious right-wing kook club, tea party tug boat spiel.
I just don't give credence when posters try to give the impression they are above all the political rhetoric while simultaneously engaging in it.
Never even remotely suggested I was above political rhetoric, I am however above the petty ignorance of party politics because I stand behind issues instead of personalities.

If people on the right were serious about spending, we would actually see some attacking the Offense Budget, but they don't.

If people on the left were serious about traditionally Liberal issues, they would be protesting Obama's continuation of nearly every Bush policy, but they don't.

My conclusion, both left and right use their respective walls to lean upon so they don't have to think, they merely cast a finger of blame while they ignore their own transgressions

This is my political rhetoric and I shout it from the highest building.

Last edited by TnHilltopper; 03-13-2011 at 06:39 PM.. Reason: context

Old 03-13-2011, 06:18 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,326,934 times
I will admit that although I didn't vote for Obama, I did have hopes that he would turn around some of the things Bush put into place. They truly are two sides of the same coin and nothing has changed. We went from one puppet master to another, only this one is much, much worse, IMO.

Old 03-13-2011, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Ron Paul???

BTW, try not being so snippy about people not having enough time to watch a 2 hour video on their computer. Do you have children to take care of?
What about Ron Paul? This isn't an indictment of the right or why I left the Republican Party, this is about Obama's failed promises and being beholden to the same forces that ensure that the establishment remains at the expense of the people. All the reasons the left hated Bush, they not only excuse in Obama, but when Obama "one ups" Bush, they do not lift an eyebrow.

Even still, this is not to berate the left either, but merely to show that Obama has not only continued the Bush reign of terror, but upped the ante' on a number of issues that should be a far greater focus, yet isn't even addressed.

If you can spend the many hours which you already spend here, then take a minute and point the marker on the video at some random spot and watch for 10 minutes, or perhaps just download it at your leisure for viewing when you have the time to do so. Or just don't even bother, makes no difference to me.

Old 03-13-2011, 06:30 PM

3,767 posts, read 4,530,058 times
Quote:
Never even remotely suggested I was above political rhetoric, I am however above the petty ignorance of party politics because I stand behind personalities instead of issues.

If people on the right were serious about spending, we would actually see some attacking the Offense Budget, but they don't.

If people on the left were serious about traditionally Liberal issues, they would be protesting Obama's continuation of nearly every Bush policy, but they don't.

My conclusion, both left and right use their respective walls to lean upon so they don't have to think, they merely cast a finger of blame while they ignore their own transgressions

This is my political rhetoric and I shout it from the highest building.
Fair enough. And I know you didn't say you were above the rhetoric but with all due respect sometimes you sound like you think that you are above all the rest of us (and yes I include myself) down here in the gutter brawling it out.

I appreciate your contribution and well thought out posts most of the time except for that little issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies