U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-16-2011, 08:47 PM
 
2,096 posts, read 1,587,436 times
Reputation: 996

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chattypatty View Post
I think you had better help yourself before you attempt to help someone else.

Threads that point up the despicable behavior of certain elements of the black community, namely, the behavior of refusing to condemn crime committed by their own, are not racist in origin or intent. This particular story was particularly disturbing because there was a child victim, and a whole lot of black people blaming her. Blacks have a problem within their community; secure black people have no problem admitting this. White people have no obligation to avert their eyes. We see, and we talk about what we see, and that is not racist.
Good evening,

Why should a Black person on the other side of the country need to feel they should condemn someone who happens shares the same skin color in some other state? I condemn this horrible situation, but race has nothing to do with my condemnation since I feel no obligation towards these horrible perpetrators.

Also, what is with the "their community"? There is no "Black community", Blacks and non-Blacks need to stop saying that because it forces the rest of us to accept both positive and NEGATIVE stereotypes and generalizations based on nothing but skin color. Do you feel an obligation to a community of people of your race who live on the other side of the country? I thought we're all supposed to be Americans here, so it's your community too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-16-2011, 08:50 PM
 
2,096 posts, read 1,587,436 times
Reputation: 996
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
And you are at the head of the class.



Young Blood, who the **** told you that being a black man in America was going to easy? Grow the **** up and grow yourself some testicles.

You think life is hard now? Then you need to take a walk back when I was a kid, back when my father was a young man, or better yet when my grandfather and my great great uncle organized one of the first black railroad unions in the South, a time when they were shooting black off the trains they worked on. The MEN in my family spoke well, and dressed even better and they didn't give a damn what white folks said one way or another.

Maybe that is the problem, you young folks are just plain scared of white folks, you are too scared to confront them on their own turf, to show them like Malcolm did, that he could command the King's language better than they could, sending racist to the library looking for the Redneck to English translation. That's what bold brothers like Nat Turner, W.E.B. Dubois Paul Robeson, James Baldwin, Franz Fanon, and Nelson Mandela did, they didn't scared white folks with some bull**** hip-hop swagger, they scared the **** of them with the power of their intellect. White folks couldn't ignore them, white folks had to reckon with with them.

You don't want to be ignored, you don't want to be dismissed, then you don't threaten white folks with street crime, you threaten them with your mind.
Bravo! This is why I have less sympathy for fool-acting young folks who cry racism. They need to put their best foot forward like my ancestors did.

Wish I could rep you again, but it won't allow me to do so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-16-2011, 09:01 PM
 
Location: .....
956 posts, read 947,176 times
Reputation: 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom123 View Post
Good evening,

Why should a Black person on the other side of the country need to feel they should condemn someone who happens shares the same skin color in some other state? I condemn this horrible situation, but race has nothing to do with my condemnation since I feel no obligation towards these horrible perpetrators.
Well finally someone understands it. The majority of blacks never have, and never will take ownership of crimes they did not commit. Ironically enough, the same bunch who throw blacks into this dilemma often complain about being "blamed for actions they did not commit". Oh the irony...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-16-2011, 09:05 PM
 
2,096 posts, read 1,587,436 times
Reputation: 996
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post
I don't deny that some young boys follow the "get rich quick" path in order to impress the ladies with the clothes, car, etc, but to say that is the motivation for the ill of the young black man? I think that is a very narrow POV.
Good afternoon,

You don't have to agree, but if you sit down with the average "thug" up to the average corporate guy and find out what he ultimately wants, it's money so he can impress women. In a world full of men, thug guy has no need to sell drugs for rims, clothes, etc.

I've asked this question so many times of men who are going down the wrong path, and men going on the upward track too. Ultimately they want money so they can impress and meet women, whether it's in a short term thug way, or a long term familial way.

Take our own poll of honest men and see what they tell you.

In regards to the ill of the "young Black man", the above motivation manifests in a negative manner due to lack of the proper daily guidance of a positive male role model. But if you think about it, these men really are "successful" in their environment. I may not agree with their illegal tactics, but the standards of their community have dictated a man with money and status are drug dealers or some other hustler. These men are rewarded with the attention of women, just as men who have positive methods to obtain money and status are rewarded in other environments. The only difference is in non-hood environments, illegal money/status men are not rewarded with women generally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-16-2011, 09:06 PM
 
31,385 posts, read 31,057,040 times
Reputation: 14878
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom123 View Post
Bravo! This is why I have less sympathy for fool-acting young folks who cry racism. They need to put their best foot forward like my ancestors did.

Wish I could rep you again, but it won't allow me to do so.
I don't wish to seem ungrateful, but I am glad that you could not rep me for what I wrote because it is never my intention to give comfort to those who would dismiss that fact that even fool acting young people can and are victims of racism. This is why as a general rule I rarely post comments critical of the African American community on forums of a non-Afrocentric nature. I never want to be called or cited as a witness for the prosecution.

But I understand do understand where you are coming from, I just hope that you understand where I am coming from. So thank you, but no thank you.

Sincerely,
O.V. Catto
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-16-2011, 09:08 PM
 
639 posts, read 1,083,637 times
Reputation: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by africanboy View Post
Well finally someone understands it. The majority of blacks never have, and never will take ownership of crimes they did not commit. Ironically enough, the same bunch who throw blacks into this dilemma often complain about being "blamed for actions they did not commit". Oh the irony...
It has to do with blacks defending rapists and killers and calling them victims just because they share the same skin color. It's usually followed up by making the victim look like the bad guy, and blaming the system and all white people for the "victims" horrendous act.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-16-2011, 09:11 PM
 
2,096 posts, read 1,587,436 times
Reputation: 996
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post
Let me ask this: what qualifies someone as a hoodlum? Is it by their actions alone or also based on how they dress? I ask this because many young black men dress in the fashionable way of Lil' Wayne. I think this style of dress is silly, but I also feel this way about the grounge/Emo style adopted by young whites. Why are black youths that dress in the hip-hop style considered or perceived to be thugs or hoodlums while goth/grounge/emo white kids considered weird and/or eccentric?

You say that these "ghetto gangsters" are rude and raised with no manners. First of all, if you're raised with no manners, wouldn't it serve that you don't learn to respect yourself, let alone others? Also, aren't lots of teens rude and rebellious until they mature and grow up?

No one is saying that criminal black youths should be respected....but I do believe that you shouldn't judge a book by its cover....For a young black man trying to figure out his place in this world, it's often disheartening to know that the world seems to be against you (whether that is the reality or not).
Good evening,

In response to the bold only.

The reason is because that is the "uniform" of men who typically commit VISIBLE crimes and social problems, such as drug dealing, guns, gang banging, etc. Even though there are grunge/emo kids shooting up schools, these are isolated incidents, not daily VISIBLE events on the 10pm news, so people's guards aren't up.

A good before and after comparison is Arabs / Muslims before and after 9/11. People didn't get nervous about them dressed in "Muslim garb" on airplanes until after they started hijacking them and flying them into buildings. I know hijackings happened before 9/11, but once again it was seen as less VISIBLE.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-16-2011, 09:14 PM
 
31,385 posts, read 31,057,040 times
Reputation: 14878
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom123 View Post
+1 le roi! A lot of brothers I hang out with and discuss this topic on other online forums with say the same thing!

What's interesting is women always deny this, even though Black men (and men of other races) around the country have the same opinion.
This isn't a phenomenon for black folk it is equally true for all races, because it is part and parcel of our genetic code.

Poor women like rich women are attracted to men who will be the best providers for their offspring. In the hood or the trailer park, "bad boys" are bread winners, providers (illegally but providers all the same) and protectors. Just as upper middle class women perceive men who are successful in the legitimate world in the same manner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-16-2011, 09:16 PM
 
2,096 posts, read 1,587,436 times
Reputation: 996
Quote:
Originally Posted by Observation View Post
It has to do with blacks defending rapists and killers and calling them victims just because they share the same skin color. It's usually followed up by making the victim look like the bad guy, and blaming the system and all white people for the "victims" horrendous act.
Good evening,

Based on your other posts, you live in the hood. Maybe your idea of what blacks defend are based on these type of people's opinions. Hood Blacks tend to defend criminals, since many of their friends and family have been criminals or caught up in the system. Politicians and TV news "attention seekers" who "represent" the hood districts are also defending them because they would be seen as selling out their base.

This is not the same opinion of positive Blacks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-16-2011, 09:18 PM
 
2,096 posts, read 1,587,436 times
Reputation: 996
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
I don't wish to seem ungrateful, but I am glad that you could not rep me for what I wrote because it is never my intention to give comfort to those who would dismiss that fact that even fool acting young people can and are victims of racism. This is why as a general rule I rarely post comments critical of the African American community on forums of a non-Afrocentric nature. I never want to be called or cited as a witness for the prosecution.

But I understand do understand where you are coming from, I just hope that you understand where I am coming from. So thank you, but no thank you.

Sincerely,
O.V. Catto
I understand completely, with the "airing dirty laundry in public" thing. I used to feel that way, until I realized that right is right and wrong and wrong, so I should call it out regardless of the forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top