Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2012, 11:10 AM

338 posts, read 310,645 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
Paid $4.19 A Gallon This Morning - Thanks Obama

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2012, 11:10 AM

10,581 posts, read 9,779,270 times
Default Energy Secty Chu: We must "boost the price of gasoline to the levels of Europe"

Obama Energy Chief Bombshell Admission ... - Steven Chu - Fox Nation

Obama's Energy Secretary Steven Chu: "Somehow we have to figure out how to boost the price of gasoline to the levels in Europe"

Gasoline prices as of Feb. 25, 2012, in U.S. dollars per gallon:
(Petrol diesel fuel prices in Europe)

Italy . . . . . $9.00/gal
England . . . $8.05/gal
France. . . . $8.00/gal
Norway . . . $9.45/gal
Germany . . $8.40/gal

Our gasoline prices aren't there yet. But we're definitely on track to get there.

Is it November yet?

Old 03-12-2012, 11:11 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,929,539 times
Quote:
I'm getting ticked off this morning watching the dollars tick away and wondering how this clown manage to so totally screw up the economy in three short years, and lookie here, I'm not the only one who blames Obama for the current economic mess - Gas prices sink Obama’s ratings on economy; bring parity to race for White House - The Washington Post

So have at it libs, tell us what a genius Obama is. The economy is tanking again and he and his buds at the NYT are ginning up a fake culture war about womens rights - http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/11/us...0rights&st=cse

And no fair blaming Bush, the "new normal" is Obama's achievement.
Wow! You are so confused when it comes to so many subjects it would take far more time and effort to get you to see the truth than it would be worth, but then again you do not Want to see it so why bother, enjoy your ignorance.

Old 03-12-2012, 11:15 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,806,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawg82 View Post
I can't speak for what exactly the speculators were worried about (as I was in Iraq for that whole year and didn't really pay attention to it that much), but the wars Bush got us into certainly had to be a big part of it.
Clearly, speculators don't need the excuses like our "conservative" brethren. They can invent ways.

Old 03-12-2012, 11:20 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,095,708 times
Did I wake up back in 2008?

Old 03-12-2012, 11:21 AM

2,539 posts, read 4,085,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Did I wake up back in 2008?
It's 1979 all over again.

Old 03-12-2012, 11:24 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
Te only thing any president can do is make sure we are prodcuig as much as poosible and gettigit to market. Carter did just this during embago but what he did hafter wrods is anther stoy. But Obama has consisently fought greater prodccution to suply market. Its hurts now econmy i shippig dollars to toer countries;hurts jobs;means less secure world because of where those that are are located and raises prices.It takes years to geta new energy such as crude to market so what he is doing now will eman even higher prices in future.

9,189 posts, read 7,594,686 times
Quote:
I'm getting ticked off this morning watching the dollars tick away and wondering how this clown manage to so totally screw up the economy in three short years, and lookie here, I'm not the only one who blames Obama for the current economic mess - Gas prices sink Obama’s ratings on economy; bring parity to race for White House - The Washington Post

So have at it libs, tell us what a genius Obama is. The economy is tanking again and he and his buds at the NYT are ginning up a fake culture war about womens rights - http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/11/us...0rights&st=cse

And no fair blaming Bush, the "new normal" is Obama's achievement.

He says "You're welcome!".

31,767 posts, read 28,806,382 times
Who said this?

"Next time you hear a politician say he or she will bring down oil prices understand it’s complete BS. Americans want lower gas prices — cut back. Sell those SUVs. Ride a bike when you can. If every one of us bought 10 percent less gasoline, prices would fall fast. That’s what the candidates should be saying. We need a strong leader who’s honest, smart, courageous and willing to explain dubious associations. That’s what we need."

Old 03-12-2012, 11:26 AM

6,712 posts, read 13,455,221 times
This morning while changing the air filters for my HVAC system I found a few mouse turds in the attic. Freaking Obama and his plans for a one world government! He's literally trying to take over the mouse trap industry so that everyone in America has to house at least one mouse. Obama likes cats!

The illogical reasoning in the above paragraph is something I see so much of in this forum and it's largely responsible for the failure of our government to get anything done. Our representatives are a reflection of the people and the confusion caused by illogical frames of thought in our government are nothing more than the confusion caused by illogical thoughts of our people.

The OP is a perfect example of this. He blames Obama on a near personal level for the price of gas he paid this morning. It's almost as if to say the OP thinks Obama woke up very early, called every gas station in the country and told them what the price of gasoline was going to be for today.

The lack of logic used in this frame of thought is nothing more than an irresponsible avenue to blame a President for anything due to a complete lack of understanding of how our government works, how the oil industry works, and how economics works. It is far easier to blame one person, a representative figurehead and scapegoat, than it is to educate yourself on why the gas at your pump seems so expensive lately.

If Obama directly declared war on gas prices, claiming they were too low, we could attribute the power of his office to a certain sense of price fixing. But, oil prices are multi-variable and even if Obama vociferously opposed low oil prices, he would be only one variable (though, admittedly, an important variable) in the overall price of oil. However, because oil prices have so many factors, no one entity, and certainly no one person, can be to blame for the sole price of gas that you pay at the pump. If we really wanted to blame an entity, it would be OPEC, but even they do not have full control of the gas prices.

Geopolitics greatly affects the price of oil because it is all speculative - based on the perception of available oil to the demand of how much oil will be needed. The situation in Iran threatens the availability of oil in the future despite the fact that nothing has actually happened. However, if oil speculators feel that war with Iran is imminent, the Straits of Hormuz may be blocked, and that supply will be limited, the price will go up.

We could say that it's Obama's fault for not bombing Iran right this moment and therefore the tension in the Arabian Gulf is what is driving oil prices up. But, the reality is that bombing Iran could actually trigger higher speculation because it would bring about fears of repercussions by the Arab League - largely involved with OPEC. To wit: To bomb is to speculate higher and to not bomb is to speculate higher.

Statements that paint Obama in the light of The Claw from Inspector Gadget only serve as testaments to our ignorance. I don't say that because I like Obama - I actually do but that is aside from this post - but because the accusations by members of society towards him are largely speculative themselves, are often irrational such as the mouse trap example I gave above, and because people's loathing for the man blinds their vision of reality when it comes to what the President's actual capabilities are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies